The Ordnance Survey have a huge collection of historical maps, including many large-scale 25"-to-1 mile as well as 6"-to-1 mile: http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/...data/index.html

Although I'm in the process of purchasing some of these, their historical map devision is currently being moved to the National Archives so I think I was one of their last customers. Here's their information note on the subject:-

We would like to take this opportunity to alert you to some changes to the Historic map service offered by Ordnance Survey. As from the 31st July 2008 Ordnance Survey will no longer be taking new orders and new enquiries for historic mapping. This is due to a pending office move where our new premises are unable to accommodate this vast collection of mapping. As the mapping is a public record The National Archive Kew London will be controlling and assisting Ordnance Survey in relocating its map library. This will ensure the public have continued access to Ordnance Survey historical mapping. For further information and direction to alternative sources please visit: http://leisure.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/leisur...m=os_historical

Tony

• 2 years later...

As mentioned on other threads I have a large collection OS maps dated 1880/1

They are very large scale 1" to 41(aprox) feet or 10 feet to the mile(aprox)

If people wish to view them please contact me.

• 1 month later...

As a follow-on to taxi ray's comment, it ties in with the slightly scary feature on the Old Maps website.

When you look at the various older maps on there, one of the options is to look at the Russian maps from the Cold War of the 1960s/70s, where you can see what the Communist Bloc were watching back then. Seeing a map of Nottingham in 1975 with all the street names and buildings in russian makes you wonder.

Amazing! was just showing my wife the photo of Basford North's old goods shed in the "Broken Bridge" topic and Taxi Ray's post came in showing such was on the krauts hit list! No wonder they lost the war if they regarded that as a priority!