Did you know any girls that lived Mansfield way frequented the eight bells there but came down to the Dungeon all nighters, the name Maxine comes to mind but I cannot be sure after all the years.

I am still coming to terms with the fact that the Mini boys are now real people, pensioners like myself and not just people from the past. the last time I remember seeing Ray Tassi was in the Bellvedere I think in 67, I remember the suit and the tweed overcoat and his chat up line with a girl who was in there, "hello daring know a bit of class when you see it dont you" it's the reason I always remembered him while forgetting most of the other names, changed me forever!

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a variation on memories of the Dungeon.

i wasn't quite old enough to have been there in its prime, but I was aware of the place in those days.

If we went to my grandma's in Radford by bus, we'd go from Clifton to Broad Marsh bus station, and then we'd walk through town to get another bus on Granby Street. On that walk from Broad Marsh to Granby Street we'd go up Stanford Street, and I remember that when we went past the Dungeon building my mum and dad would say something like "there's that Dungeon club where they have noisy, long-haired pop groups"

And 50 years later I'm reading messages from the people who were the regular inhabitants of the place.

• Upvote 1

And I was a noisy long haired patron !

I don't remember the boys having long hair ...... most of them were trying to look like The Small Faces and all the girls modelled themselves on Mary Quant. We were all clones !!!

• Upvote 2

I wasn't really keen on soul music, but I liked the beat groups. My mate Johnny Knott tried to look like Stevie Marriott, Pete Gibson (RIP) tried to look like Rod Stewart, and as I had longer curlier hair, I based my look on Roger Daltry.

As my hair got longer and the hippy look took over, I tried to look like Robert Plant.

• Upvote 1

I note in the new book MODS by Similer Anderson just one sentence about the Dungeon club but a whole chapter on RSG Ready Steady Go and Cathy Mc Gowan.

In the 1960s I was a Dusty Springfield Clone, with my high Bouffant, only a poor version! Couldn't sing like Dusty Though! In fact couldn't Sing like anyone. Then in the late 60s/early 70s it was the long straight hair and heavy fringe.Then later on in the 1970s, I had a Rod Stewart cut!!! In the 1980s, it was the Big Shaggy Perm. Then came the trend for clipping the hair up at the back and backcombing into a fuzzy mess on top! Stayed with that one for a long time.

Now i'm going through a Short Hair fad. Nearly ready for a change.Mmmmmm What shall I go for next?

• Upvote 1

I say Melissa, you will have my head swelling. I think it safest to go with Hippo Girls suggestion and do what I fancy. I think the Dusty look might have to be shelved though. It might be a laugh to have a thread of our hair styles over the years. Don't all rush to be first! :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Don't recall a Maxine I'm afraid. My main girlfriends during my Dungeon days were Nottm like me. Pat (aka Trish) from Aspley, Glen from Radford, and then Chris from Sneinton who I met in the September of 1966 when we started at college. Also Pat and Josy who lived near to me in Bilborough.

It always felt to me like we all knew one another in the Dungeon, there was always someone to talk to or dance with.

I have a photo of myself taken inside the Dungeon with Pat, we are leaning on the jukebox. Moz is going to scan it so if I can I'll post it on here.

• Upvote 2

I had short hair with a mod style when I went to the Dungeon in the 60s. At one point a girlfriend cut it for me and I had bald patches all over my head - maybe I was thr original skinhead. After taking my A levels at school, I started growing a moustache. In the later 60s my hair grew longer and longer and by the 70s, I had very long hair and a full beard and looked like a member of ZZ Top. Then I had it cut short and it stayed like that for many years, the beard went, the moustache stayed. Eventually I stopped working and grew my hair long again, as it is now (but no moustache).

• Upvote 2

Melissa, you would never part company with your mid length suede coat !!!!!! Some even were known to boogie with them on. Then came Woodstock , Hair and free love and we all took our clothes off , and dumped the coats. That's why you youngsters never wear a coat at night !!LOL

• Upvote 3

In those days you daren't take your coat off as it would get nicked. These days you don't go out wearing a coat at all in case it gets nicked!

• Upvote 2

Thanks for posting the photo Moz. As you will confirm, I don't look like that anymore.

We all seemed to cut one another's hair in those days, didn't we? Well, the girls anyway. Not at home either, but in public or club loos. I had several disasters myself with my hair, and sorry to anyone I might have chopped away at.

• Upvote 1