The only excursion out of Nottingham I remember was when we got together with a guy named John Bates, for anyone that mignt remember him his family ran the bottom off licence on Orford ave in Clifton

Nowt to do with the Dungeon, but yes I remember Bates' off licence, I didn't know John - probably a bit older than me - but I was always amazed by his dad's name. It was on the metal plate above the shop door saying "Licensed to sell alcohol on the premises etc etc" and it was Alva Ballard Bates. Never known anybody else called Alva or Ballard.

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Likewise hippogirl , I and a few mates went primarily for the music. As I stated elsewhere, Sat was mainly Soul but Sun was more bluesy which appealed to me more. I did at one time knock about with a crowd from a very well known Nottm boutique in the mid 60's but alas some became somewhat shallow and superficial as fashion took over their entire lives.

Music wise, I loved going to places like Leics Uni, Leics Art Coll. Loughborough Uni, and other places for groups. I once saw The Faces about eight or nine times within a matter of weeks. We were always fashionable, but it never ruled our lives.

I liked the Boat clubs best, Led Zep, Family, Jeff Beck Band, The Nice, Jethro Tull, TYA, Fleetwood Mac, John Mayall and Chicken Shack etc great days indeed.

• Upvote 2

Basfordred, I remember seeing Chicken Shack at the Boat Club just after Christine Perfect and John McVie got married. John & Peter Green joined them on stage during the second set.

Seem to remember that Moz, Stan Webb was a fantastic guitarist. McVie always turned up in an old Lagonda car, fantastic!

Always had a fascination with the bluesier type of player. All time fav was Rory of course, but also liked Beck, Page, Alvin, Koss, Duane Allman and Clapton but only with Cream.

Some good ones up and coming, Joe Bonamassa , Davy Knowles, Oli Brown, Jonny Lang and of courser the brilliant Warren Haynes of Allman Bros and Govt Mule fame.

Now we begin to get the picture of how it was back then, The British music scene was fantastic back then and carried a whole different set of fashion values with it. It ran alongside the soul and motown played at the Dungeon but the two were bound to mingle. I remember the London club the Marquee being mentioned in the same breath as some of the other clubs. Hence the different opinions of what we wore and when

The Herd followed one another , no diversity in fashion or music....never looked out of the box or had their own opinions.............probably still the same today but watching xfactor and thinking they are wannabes !!!!!

• Upvote 1

You're right, mgread, as the 60's began, I was into slacks a shirt & tie and a jacket, then turned into a bit of a beatnik, with faded frayed bell bottoms and oil skin jacket etc. Mid 60's a bit modish and mid-late 60's a bit hippier. Into the 70's fancy fitted leather jackets and colourful trousers. Late 70's back hippier, to the present day, jeans, trainers, T shirt. Whatever fashion trend I adopted, two things took precedence, music and beer.

I think I felt most comfortable in desert boots, Levi's , black T shirt and either my khaki suade Levi or bottle green Wrangler suade jacket.

Even now at nearly 69, I only possess a couple of smart shirts and keks. Loads of denim and old T'shirts. And shorter hair of course.

• Upvote 1

Nowt to do with the Dungeon, but yes I remember Bates' off licence, I didn't know John - probably a bit older than me - but I was always amazed by his dad's name. It was on the metal plate above the shop door saying "Licensed to sell alcohol on the premises etc etc" and it was Alva Ballard Bates. Never known anybody else called Alva or Ballard.

Sorry to post off thread!

Yes Cliff Ton in later years the family ran a pub in Radcliffe on Trent and I heard that John went to live in Cornwall many years ago.

Trying to download some pictures of a bunch of mod girls dancing back in '65 at the Mojo Club in Sheffield. For someone reason it isn't as easy as it used to be.

Remember the hush puppies and check suits, that was around 1965 , but then London fashion took off, and us fashionable Nottingham girls were buying their clothes on Kensington church street , Kensington market and soho.

Well the boys look Ok around the head, but I personally don't remember the lads wearing Harris Tweed jackets, I can only recall the lads wearing denim jackets, leather coats and suits.

Yep a Harris Tweed jacket drove mum mad to help me buy one at the time, then moved onto full length suede coat I got second hand from a member here "Jacko".

Was a bit stained here and there so gave it a wash in the bath and it came up like new with a good brush with a suede brush when dry.

Also remember going down to London's Petticoat lane markets for some trousers, mates and I made a week end of it, stayed in some grotty B&B went to the Whisky a Go Go Saturday night, then to the market Sunday morning, got said trousers and back home for Sunday tea, then down the Boat club.

Thinking back we must have worried our parents mad at the time, going away for the week ends, all nighters at the Twisted wheel and the Beachcomber, mad mad parties etc.

Never did the pills or drug scene though, some close friends did and saw what it did to them, my biggest high was a couple of Yates Aussie white wines or maybe a few Pernod's if we were feeling rich.

Just before my time I was around in 1966/7 and recall the mohair suits with the vents, pockets and buttons on sleeves.

I still have a mohair jacket made from fabric off the back of a lorry through mates that stood market in Ilkeston and made to measure by a young Mario Joseph in about 67. Prior to that I recall blue pacamacs if you couldn't afford a leather/suede coat, I seem to remember the swish of these as you walked around town. Hush puppies or desert boots, blue denim button down collar shirts with blue knitted tie or roll neck shirts.

Did do the drug scene and loved every blessed minute.

• Upvote 1