Having read this, and other Dungeon related topics, I just wonder how many of us members were unbeknowingly at gigs together 50 or so years ago, and are now established NS members. I know for a fact that at least one other member has memories of the Martha & the Vandellas show, and others, Stevie Wonder, John Mayall and Rod Stewart nights. Great nights indeed, and can never be repeated I'm afraid. Now where's that bleddy time machine? 

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree , I went fairly regularly to the Dungeon but only ever mixed with our own "gang" from Gedling School or Digby College, never really mixed with anyone else . Must have seen lots of bands there (none on your list though) but the only one I actually remember was The Yardbirds .

Well talking of the Dungeon ..... went to a reunion this afternoon at the Bell.  A room full of folk who thankfully haven't yet got the onset of dementia, looking back 50 years to those good old days and evenings, and sometimes all nights listening to Motown, Soul and rock.  Amazing how many of us were in that Stanford Street basement at the same time, watching the likes of Wilson Pickett, Stevie Wonder, Charlie and Inez Fox, Martha and the Vandellas, Small Faces, the Who, etc.  The list and memories are endless.  Three or four other Nottstalgians were also there, don't think the bar staff knew what had hit them, we filled that right hand side bar!

• Upvote 2

Brilliant afternoon / eve in the Bell with fellow nottstalgians and characters from my misspent youth , for the dungeon reunion ....

We all started our musical journey in that basement in Stanford street Nottingham and have kept alive the individuality and freedom those times afforded us .......

So back to the question " did you know Stu Morris " well we did and on Friday he was there for us all to say we do !!!!!!

• Upvote 4
On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:13 PM, LizzieM said:

Well talking of the Dungeon ..... went to a reunion this afternoon at the Bell.  A room full of folk who thankfully haven't yet got the onset of dementia, looking back 50 years to those good old days and evenings, and sometimes all nights listening to Motown, Soul and rock.  Amazing how many of us were in that Stanford Street basement at the same time, watching the likes of Wilson Pickett, Stevie Wonder, Charlie and Inez Fox, Martha and the Vandellas, Small Faces, the Who, etc.  The list and memories are endless.  Three or four other Nottstalgians were also there, don't think the bar staff knew what had hit them, we filled that right hand side bar!

Well said Lizzie, great afternoon good to meet & talk with mods (girls & boys) from back in the day(s) & nights. https://www.facebook.com/groups/686027478245096/

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

Although I attended many of Stringfellows Dungeon visits, I was more interested in the live acts, which were mostly brilliant. In fact I can't remember a poor one. 

The trouble is, DJ's have been instrumental over the last 50 years or so in bringing about the downfall of live music venues. 

Most of the DJ's I saw in the early 60's were spotty mummies boys who had a bit of equipment in the back of their mothers Austin A40. 

Theres not much better on a night out, than a singer or group in a traditional pub. (Not too loud, as my tinnitus plays up) LOL

• Upvote 1

It's probably a good job she misses half if it Kath. Both are an appalling reflection of today's rapidly tumbling standards on television. 

Sorry Fly, I posted in the wrong thread about Emmerdale and Corrie! . Old age ya know. Yes, it's bad. We used to watch it when visiting her, and couldn't believe the story lines. 

I suspected as such Kath, but I didn't want to embarrass you. No, honestly !

• Upvote 1

Senior moment...... They'll be coming thick and fast in the ensuing years believe me !

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Re 532/33 --  Vintageann - ask Eddie if he knows Rick from Bulwell not Clifton  -  he has been out with them quite a few times at the Bell when he is in the Country and is often in touch with Bob Clifford.

Don't know if this thread is alive but thought I would mention it - not read this forum in ages and now going to start it again. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Great pics ! I remember Seamus, Eddie & Ann Barry, Phil Long, Chris Bowering, and Chris & Chris Fensom. Several other names ring a bell too.

Plus of course our revered Nottstalgians. 

• 5 months later...

The 'mock plaque unveiling' was the brainchild of Nottstalgian Vintagemann who started a Facebook group for old Dungeonites about a year ago.   The group has grown quickly and now has over 400 members, we even had to move to a bigger venue for the monthly get-together.  

Mick Parker who owned the Dungeon (50 years ago) came from his home in Spain to perform the unveiling! 

The Nottstalgians who I know were there were Vintageann, Moz, Jan Kononowicz, Paulus, Dave48, Hippogirl and Craig Strongman.

I would have loved to have been in attendance, being a regular at the club in my teens, but as I'm still recovering from my recent surgery I didn't relish hanging around on a Nottingham back street for any length of time! 

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

The Dungeon club was if I recall first night club to stay open all night. Myself and friend Elaine went from work and went back to work next morning . We started work at 8 00. We arrived back at my house about 6 00am by 7 00 am had a wash and clean clothes caught the bus to work. At the time we were training to be hairdressers we worked at top of Alfreton Rd. I hope that we turned every body out the salon looking ok. As we had not had any sleep. Memories.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...