Bulwell Common - or is it ?

Thanks a lot all of you again for the extra details, and Stu for informing Clive. I always try to find eyewitness accounts as much as possible - even with the years dimming some of the exact details, I find they are nearly always more enjoyable reads than the 'official' accounts that accompany crash records etc. In a nutshell they add a lot more colour!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You'll cop it, our Ben. Radford Red will be gunning for you! 

The Canberra was operated by Rolls-Royce at Hucknall. This was the first accident involving a Canberra. The test pilot Richard Peach, the only crew member, was killed. Chulla

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting that photo, Cliff, what a mess. From what I've heard/read, the pilot had retracted the undercarriage but still had his flaps down. Most likely the nose wheels (pictured on the ground there) were flung out when the fuselage shattered. The sight of the rear fuselage lying on top of the carriage tallies with a memory Clive Bagshaw relayed to me about vaguely remembering the tail fin sticking out of a carriage.

I will try to contact the author of the book to see if I can get permission to use his photo - cheers for that. Does it by chance say who the actual photo is credited to, Cliff?

Best,

Steve

• 1 year later...

I Was on my way to Henry whipple school when the plane crashed at Bulwell Common station,and all i remember is running with lots of other kids to the farmers crossing at the end of southglade and seeing all the smoke riseing,,.my dad was a shunter at the sidings and was there at the time.

#33 ref; local tale of girl trapped under rail, yes its true her name was DIANNE STALEY, i recall being in assembly at Henry Whipple and the headmaster telling us not to trespass on the railway after the incident

• 1 month later...

The Canberra was operated by Rolls-Royce at Hucknall. This was the first accident involving a Canberra. The test pilot Richard Peach, the only crew member, was killed.

Chulla

• Upvote 1
  • 5 years later...

Was there that day,,think i was on my way to school at lunchtime,,ran down to where andover and southglade met opposite bulwell common,, remember the smoke rising,,EDIT. Just noticed said all this before,,sorry,,

Try turning your picture either right or left (depending which way it needs), before you process for posting to NS.

Do you use Photoimage Trogg? (Or is it postimage).

Just had a look, it's  Postimage. Sorry about the error.

• Like 1

On the topic of rail crashes; anyone remember the incident at Basford North, when an engine backed into the bay platform in fog at too great a speed, and pushed a couple of carriages through the stops and down the embankment towards Northern Baths?

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

What year was that? I travelled daily to and from school from Daybrook to Basford North and back from around 1954 until the line closed to passenger traffic.

Pretty sure it was 1951 Phil,,

There's a railway Accident archive here, but nothing shows between 1950 and 1960 looking through the list. (1950 starts at page 763 on the list)

Using the seach found nothing.

https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/eventlisting.php

I doubt it's  complete list given the total number of incidents and the total years covered.