Bulwell Common - or is it ?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You'll cop it, our Ben. Radford Red will be gunning for you! 

The Canberra was operated by Rolls-Royce at Hucknall. This was the first accident involving a Canberra. The test pilot Richard Peach, the only crew member, was killed. Chulla

I'm not quite convinced by the photo of the Canberra at Boowul Common.  I don't recognise the two 'odd pitched' roofs of houses behind. I doubt anything much has changed that side of St Alban's Rd in the interim.  However, I can't recall exactly when we moved to Southglade Rd.. very close to Boowul common.  I was born Feb 1949, so would have been 1 in Feb 50, I reckon I was maybe 1-3 years old when we moved.. so it's a close call.  Also, the cockpit of the downed aircraft does not look like that f a Canberra.

Any other thoughts?

DJ I copied the photo from a booklet published for the closing of Central Fire Station, the photo was one of a collection of incidents that Central attended since it opened in 1940 , so I believe it is authentic.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi katyjay when was your dad at NCV a friend of mine worked there in the early 60s his name was Dennis Humm did you know Rod Blanchard i think he had some dealings with NCV his father was George Blanchard started the bakery at Watnall which made Wonderloaf bread.George brought my fathers garage at Watnall for Rod in 1968 he used it like a playboy rather than a business racing go-karts ,mini coopers and lotus cortinas.Ithink the bakery was bought out by Spillers.

IAN,  my dad went on his own I reckon in the 50's, after working for William Evans on Highbury Vale before and  after the war. Evans closed down in the 50's, which gave my dad the push to work for himself as painter, docorator and sign writer. So, it had to be 50's up to retirement I'm guessing, late 70's. Also did a lot of signwriting for John Rann in Arnold and Reg Watson in Bulwell, bith coachbuilders I do believe. I'm afraid I don't know any of the names you mentioned, my only memory of Blanchards is smelling the bread all the way on Amesbury Circus when the wind was in the right direction, and that our neighbor Mr Patterson was a manager there.

On 2/12/2020 at 1:07 PM, Willow wilson said:

Hi Willow.  That's the same report I found some years ago and posted on Stuart Frew's blog.

On 2/12/2020 at 4:13 AM, trogg said:

DJ I copied the photo from a booklet published for the closing of Central Fire Station, the photo was one of a collection of incidents that Central attended since it opened in 1940 , so I believe it is authentic.

Ok Mick, I'm sure it is.  Still puzzled by those roofs though.  I must have a look next time I'm home.

What I do recall is that there was a blackened passenger coach in the sidings on the St Alban's Rd side for years.  We always thought it was left over from the crash.

Can anyone help me out, Stuart Frews blog is that the one with numerous different comments on Bestwood Village and Estate, if so could you let me have the link to it. I did have it once and found it very interesting but I lost it and would love to reread some of the entries. many thanks.

Maybe this helps with the roofs.

I think this view is looking back through the area that later became NCV.

Houses in the background are Southglade Road / Andover road

The roofs are 2 of at least 3 as there is the start of one on the extreme left

sXXqvD0.jpg

Below is a view in 1951, note the triple northern light shed roof on the sidings.

If the photo was taken off the end of the Platform for Bulwell Common station the scene would be the same.

I've seen a reference in my search re Rigleys of them possibly having a shed on the Common sidings.

Now go back to the first photo and look at the lettering facing out on the roofs, possibly another mystery solved.

G  L  E  Y

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW038721

t8SbSJu.png