• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Home alone tea ........ Dinner for one .... Me favourite   

Personally I would leave the lid intact before I chucked it in the bin. 

Cheese & Tata pie. Just popped mine back in the oven and it smells really good. 

Slice potatoes very thinly, chop mozzarella in cubes then I used a smoky cheese and strong flavoured cheese so I grated them. Slices of Mortadella ( or ham) 

Grease and scatter bread crumbs in base. Layer the potatoes along with cheeses seasoning as you go. Halfway place Mortadella or ham across and continue layering potatoes and cheeses finishing with potatoes and a scattering of parmesan. Before putting it in the oven pour a glass of milk into the border to help cook the potatoes. Cover with foil. In oven for 3/4 hr, remove foil and cook further 1/2hr or less until the top is golden brown and crispy. I pinched a corner and although its fiddly to do it was delicious. 

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

Top three meals when yer wifes not home to cook yer tea 

1.  beans on toast or   skinheads on a raft as we called em as nippers .

2.  Egg,n,chip   not yer rocket science culinary dish.

3.  Pot noodle when you just can't be ar$ed ,

Just had boiling water if you can galvanise yer self into action to fill the kettle .

• 4 months later...
On 4/9/2021 at 9:48 AM, DJ360 said:

Tinned Stewed Steak with chips and tinned peas or carrots?

Tinned stewed steak, Deb instant mashed potatoes and Suprise peas were a staple food when camping in the Lake District in the 60s. That is until one of the boys tipped the Deb into the water before it was even warm. If the highways department want something to permanently fix potholes I can highly recommend it.

On 4/9/2021 at 9:48 AM, DJ360 said:

What's wrong with Heinz Baked Beans and Pork Sausages?

Nothing at all DJ360, when I was an apprentice I had a wide mouth stainless steel thermos flask that was great for those and chunky soups, very warming on a long winters' night shift.

Once a week I treat myself to a cooked breakfast minus black or white pudding, can't stand it. When preparing it I noticed that we never see any eggs with white shells. Our eggs come from backyard "free range" chooks. Is it diet or the breed of chooks that determine if the eggshells are white.

I also noticed that my 57 variety of Baked Beans did not taste the same as they used to, the leader of the opposition says it is my taste buds changing as I get older or are the companies changing the recipes with cheaper ingredients. What do fellow Nottstalgians think?

You’re lucky to have eggs @Oztalgian.  I noticed the other week that Tesco had not a single egg on the shelves and then I managed to get a box of 10 (why do they come in 10s rather than a dozen) in our local Lidls a few days later.  Looked in Sainsburys at the weekend, still couldn’t find eggs, it’s the Avian Flu issue you know!  So, today we were still out of eggs but managed to buy half a dozen BLUE shelled eggs, never tried them before and interested to see if they taste the same.  

We’ve not had a problem with egg supply, usually the blue shelled eggs have very yellow yolks (as all eggs were back in the day). I have converted to Burford Brown eggs which also have very yellow yolks. We used to get eggs from our neighbour on the allotment but sadly his chickens were savaged by a fox a couple of weeks ago. 

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

(why do they come in 10s rather than a dozen)

They come in a dozen (12) here but the egg compartment in our fridge only has spaces for 10, it seems my New Zealand made fridge was for the UK market, go figure.

55 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

managed to buy half a dozen BLUE shelled eggs, never tried them before and interested to see if they taste the same.

Never seen blue shelled eggs here so I looked them up on't interweb. Curiously the inside of the shell is also blue whereas the shell of the brown eggs are white inside.

The egg tray in my fridge holds 14 eggs. They come in dozens! Recently they were $4.75 for a dozen white eggs. Not even the fancy free range variety.  crikey.

Quick dinner today so I did Pukka pie (meat and potato) and just a few air fried chips with Bisto gravy, that'll do nicely

Rog

• Like 1
21 hours ago, LizzieM said:

then I managed to get a box of 10 (why do they come in 10s rather than a dozen) in our local Lidls a few days later.  

The eggs in Lidl are in 10's because they are metric eggs  :biggrin:

One thing to watch in Lidl though - and Farmfoods, the milk is is the same price as Iceland - or appears to be. In Lidl and Farmfoods you get 2 litres for £1.55. In Iceland you get 4 pints for £1.55. So Lidl isn't always cheaper. I fell for it once!

• Like 1

Yesterday lunch we had lots of raw veg dipped in Bagna Cauda ( a sauce made with garlic and anchovies. It’s a local speciality and many people say ugh but it’s delicious) This time of the year when it starts to get cold it’s the right thing to eat. Tonight we had Penne with prawns, tomatoes , chili and young chard.  
My husband cooked I was busy with Ginger bread houses.

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2022 at 3:48 AM, plantfit said:

Quick dinner today so I did Pukka pie (meat and potato) and just a few air fried chips with Bisto gravy, that'll do nicely

Rog

Ooh lovely !

• Like 1
On 11/10/2022 at 8:17 AM, MRS B said:

We’ve not had a problem with egg supply, usually the blue shelled eggs have very yellow yolks (as all eggs were back in the day). I have converted to Burford Brown eggs which also have very yellow yolks. We used to get eggs from our neighbour on the allotment but sadly his chickens were savaged by a fox a couple of weeks ago. 

Ooh that fox is savage !

• 2 months later...

I am so fed up with food companies messing with the recipes of old established products to save fraction of a cent per can or bottle and ruining the taste or texture. For example:-

I've been saying for ages that Heinz have changed the recipe for their baked beans and the leader of the opposition kept saying it was my taste buds. Last week she agreed and we changed to another locally made product, SPC, so much better, no watery sauce, decent sized "meaty" beans. No more 57 variety beans for us.

For those who remember Berni Inns it was there I was first introduced to French Mustard with a steak and since then always have it with my steak. Last night we had fillet steak, baked potato and salad and I opened a new more expensive, jar of our regular brand mustard. I put a little on my first mouthful of steak and yuk! it was disgusting, only tasted of vinegar, non of that piquancy that you usually get with French Mustard. Luckily I had put it on the side of my plate and not over the steak. We are now looking for a new brand that actually tastes like French Mustard.

My wife has an annoying habit of not looking fully at labels and I was enjoying my ploughman's lunch until I bit into the pickled onion. It nearly lifted my head off. She had not noticed a little banner on the label that said "Hot Chilli" pickled onions. 

Steak ? Can't remember last time we had steak. Come to think of it, I can't remember last time we had beef. I do like Dijon mustard though. Trouble is, 'er indoors doesn't like it so it tends to go out of date before I finish it. I understand you can put a spoonful in mashed potatoes to perk up the flavour. No doubt Monseiur Phil will correct me on this.

I love Dijon mustard. If you mix it with mayo and ketchup (more mayo than the other 2) it makes a great burger sauce