4 hours ago, DJ360 said:

What's wrong with Heinz Baked Beans and Pork Sausages?  Surely a superbly balanced yet convenient meal.

Excellent food DJ360 often used to take them to work on the night shift in a special Thermos with a wide neck so you could get the sausages in and out.

3 hours ago, HSR said:

Weren't/are they canned in Argentina?

The brand Fray Bentos was named after the port in Uruguay where the products were packaged and shipped from. Still partial to a toasted corned beef and cheese sarnie with lashings of HP sauce for my lunch.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Home alone tea ........ Dinner for one .... Me favourite   

Personally I would leave the lid intact before I chucked it in the bin. 

4 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Tinned Stewed Steak

Tinned stewed steak, Surprise peas and Deb mashed potatoes were the staple food when camping, hiking and climbing in the Peak or Lake Districts.

Beer from any nearby or not so nearby pub provided the liquid refreshments.

• Like 1

The exhortation to remove the lid before baking always amuses me. Would anyone really stick one of these in the oven without doing so?

Mind you, when I was at teacher training college, one of our number developed a liking for tinned Heinz sponge pudding with treacle. He persuaded another student to try one, which resulted in tinnitus and a sticky mess on the ceiling!

I’m not a food snob but I do like plain home cooked food. My wife’s an excellent cook. The only thing that comes out of a tin here is baked beans or sometimes soup at lunchtime. Fray Bentos pies are the favourite of long distance yachtsmen where fresh food other than fish is not available. Whether they prevent scurvy is doubtful. :biggrin:

• Like 1

Fray Bentos corned beef always the most popular....even back in the 60s...12oz can.....about 3/6........can't think of another product that came in that shaped tin......another one off shape can of was the OVAL Ye olde oak ham that came in LB's......big seller at Christmas....always seemed to be on offer at 9/11.......only at Marsdens of course.........

39 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Fray Bentos corned beef always the most popular....even back in the 60s...12oz can.....about 3/6........can't think of another product that came in that shaped tin......another one off shape can of was the OVAL Ye olde oak ham that came in LB's......big seller at Christmas....always seemed to be on offer at 9/11.......only at Marsdens of course.........

Ben, do you remember the 'I-Spy' books in the 50s? Covered all sorts of spotters' delights! I-Spy on the Road...I-Spy in the Countryside....I spy on the Bus...etc. Did they ever do 'I-Spy in the Grocer's Store'? Bet you filled it up in about a week and bagged maximum points!

• Like 1

My mother had a horror of tinned items such as Fray Bentos and corned beef. She never bought them.

Our corned beef, which my father liked, came from our local independent grocery shop, just round the corner on Alfreton Road. A one man show. I recall vividly, sitting in my little bucket pushchair, watching him slicing corned beef onto greaseproof paper. He wore a large, plain gold signet ring on his left hand. Bacon, haslet, ham, etc all kept in the glass-fronted fridge.  I recall him having tinned stuff like Fray Bentos on the shelves but most people made their own pies in those days.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Our corned beef, which my father liked, came from our local independent grocery shop,

Don't want to burst your bubble Jill. but I'd guess your friendly local butcher will have also got his corned beef from a large, catering sized tin.. which was never seen by the public.

5 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Tinned stewed steak,

For many years until relatively recently.. the 'go to' brand for this was 'Princes'..who are still based in the Liver Building in Liverpool. However, recently I've found that Tesco's own is better..containing fewer huge lumps of fat and gristle.  Wilson's was also an excellent brand but not seen it for years.

Many years ago.. before we had kids.. Mrs Col and I occasionally succumbed to the delights of Tyne Brand Steak and Kidney Pie Filling, with chips and peas... lovely....  :)

I should point out that all of these comfort foods are only an occasional treat when feeling too lazy, cold or tired to bother cooking something a little more politically correct :laugh:

35 minutes ago, Arnold Mick said:

another one off shape can of was the OVAL Ye olde oak ham

Hated those tinned products that you opened with the little key. After fifty years I have still got the scars on my thumb after attempting to open a can of corned beef at Golden Sands

A good 70% of my diet comes from tins. Stewed steak, new potatoes, marrowfat peas and sliced  carrots. From tin to plate in about 5mins..

• Like 1
10 hours ago, HSR said:

Anybody recall Heinz baked beans with mini burgers? I  liked them, haven't been around for years.

Saw them but never tried them.  I did once find a can of Heinz Baked Beans with 'Cumberland' Sausages..which I have to say were a definite improvement on the rather 'special' :rolleyes: quality of the usual 'sausages'.  Never seen since..sadly.

9 minutes ago, Brew said:

A good 70% of my diet comes from tins. Stewed steak, new potatoes, marrowfat peas and sliced  carrots. From tin to plate in about 5mins..

My hero!!  :)

In other food news..  The first four of a dozen Tesco Large Free Range Eggs wot we had with Sausage and Chips last night. .. all turned out to be 'Double Yolkers'.  Do they put them all together deliberately?  Last time I saw a double yolker.. was years ago.. when every one of a half dozen pack also turned out to be doubles.

Maybe you're someone at Tesco's favourite customer. Or perhaps you have a secret admirer Col.

Or even they think you need building up, with all those walks you do.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Brew said:

.......From tin to plate in less than eight! Bloody great!

More than sure it was my 1st ever Fray Bentos pie, though I’m sure my Mum would have cooked one? But looking back I have no reconciliation of my family ever sitting around a table eating dinner, only on Christmas Day? I’m sure my school dinner was my dinner? 

@LizzieMwas right 99p from Aldi, not sure I would have entertained a meat one, this was veg, the cooking instructions said 30 mins @ 230 degrees, my Neff fan oven only goes to 210? When cooked the pie had no base, so I ended up with the crust on the plate with the filling that was not stuck to the tin scooped on top, like a reverse pie, can’t say I’ll be buying one again.

After getting the lid off, I could have binned it, did not look to appetising before cooking.

EyiYC3vXAAgWl8b?format=jpg&name=large 

@radfordred - we always sat round the table for dinner, Mum, Dad + 3, and when we kids had finished we had to say "thank you for my dinner, please may I leave the table". School dinners - when I started having them, early 50s, they were 9d a day.....3s/9d a week. Later in life there was summat else that used to cost 3s/9d.... from the barbers...and it wasn't a haircut!

There was reason behind the Balti pie, with my little crew I never partake in a half time pie or the street burger wagon, Fulham’s Craven Cottage is apparently famous for it’s  Baitl pie or any pie, I was going to have one, when I’d eventually got to the front of this massive queue, they’d sold out :laugh:  

The reason for the photos, I was sending them to my daughter who was feeding MrsRed, they where sending me sick & green faced emojis in return, the said cooked pie. 

EyiYC4mWgAES6j4?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

Tinned food does have advantages when you're in a hurry. Personally I dont like them but I do buy a few, baked beans is a must but without the sausages, I did buy some tomato and chicken soup fromBCS though.I buy also tins of chopped tomatoes but usually preserve my own or we are given bottles from Sicily. Treacle and syrup are never missing - Tuna and tins of salmon are useful too. Carnation milk we can't find here

I sound very particular but Im not. When I was younger I went with my parents touring Europe. Mum made menus for everyday and packed the tins in boxes to be opened on the day according to the menu. I got so fed up eating tined food that it put me off for a long time.

A week ago I made some Lasagne using potatoes cooked ham and cheese topped with a drizzle of white sauce. It was really tasty and didnt cost much. I'm really tired of eating meat now we are in lockdown so I keep looking for veggie recipes. This one was really worth doing.Don't know about anyone else but I've put on weight and am having a job losing it. Cant wait for all the food available in summer.I always have chick peas and lentils in for a quick sauce for pasta or rice or even a salad. I have dried but they take time to soak and cook.