• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Home alone tea ........ Dinner for one .... Me favourite   

Personally I would leave the lid intact before I chucked it in the bin. 

6 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Don't want to burst your bubble Jill. but I'd guess your friendly local butcher will have also got his corned beef from a large, catering sized tin.. which was never seen by the public.

Corned beef from Norman, the grocer, was encased in beige-coloured polythene which was peeled back as the slices were cut off. This was, presumably, to prevent the exterior of the block drying out. In those days, we didn't know about the synthetic oestrogens contained in plastics.

I never liked corned beef, so never ate it.  I was far more interested in the mature cheddar cheese, cut by a cheesewire.

• Like 1

At Marsdens the Corned Beef (for slicing) came to us in 6lb cans in that familiar shape....we would always slice it by hand/knife....and the brand was mostly 'Libby's'..........1/4 per Qtr if memory serves me right.......

Luncheon meat came in 4lb round cans ..usually 'Plumrose'......9d per Qtr...........

Haslet.1/-...Brawn..1/-..Cooked Ham.2/6...Cooked shoulder.1/9......was all purchased from TN Parr's delivery vans...

• Like 1

One thing I definitely did not like about Marsden's etc.. was that awful sound of the bacon slicer. It was a sort of cross between a scraping and a ringing sound.  Made me cringe...

A classmate took the end of his finger off on  one of those... they don't mess about!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, trogg said:

HP Fruity sauce with baked beans is a must for me or no baked beans eaten.

6 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I love baked beans. Either with a pork chop or sausages plus chips. Dribbled with Worcester sauce and HP sauce on the side. Even coming from Woodthorpe I’m not that posh!

I suppose that sauces are a very subjective thing.  I never have tomato sauce/ketchup on the same plate as eggs or baked beans.  If having sausage  egg and chips.. I might have a bit of HP Brown Sauce.  If having sausage beans and chips... no additional sauce.

Sausage and mash may involve a bit of mustard for the sausage.

Anything involving beef, including mince.. is likely to also involve Horse radish Sauce.. except of course for anything Italian or Chinese influenced.

9 hours ago, Brew said:

A classmate took the end of his finger off on  one of those... they don't mess about!

I was working at Woolworths on Hyson Green (I miss their pick & Mix!) when the girl who worked on the food counter cut her hand on the bacon slicer. It was horrendous never seen so much blood which wasn’t good as it makes me feel faint. Had to go to the staff room to lie down for a while, wasn’t the only one either.

• Like 1

Still got the scar on me thumb....from when i was cleaning the 'Bacon' machine when i was 16........Twas a chore that had to be done at the end of every day......

The Machines were made by 'Berkel and Carnil'' think thats correct...and it was classed as promotion to be able to use them.......you were then officially a ''Provision Hand'' and a rise of 10/- went with it..........

• Like 1

The slicer in Norman's shop was red and silver. I was fascinated by the sound it made when slicing. They must have been damned sharp to do what they did and I don't doubt they were the cause of many injuries!

Alot of work went into preparing the Bacon before it got to the 'Machine'......

We purchased the 'Sides of Bacon' from two local company's..

Bostocks and Lovell and Christmas''

First the Ham end'' was removed then the shoulder...then it all had to be 'Boned' and sometimes the Middle was rolled''

There were many different cuts...

Gammon

Corner Gammon

Shoulder

Middle

Flitch

Short Back

Streaky..

Collar.....

All priced differently.....Gammon being the dearest and Streaky' the cheapest.....Town shops had a ''Bacon Window.. and great pride was taken in dressing and pricing it..with all the different cuts.........Most of the Bacon was 'Danish'' but we also sold ''Ulster'' and Polish........all had a different taste........

I think we've gone all religious here ....burnt offerings by the smell of it ... SLAP ! ouch

Interesting about the bacon cuts Ben. I once bought some bacon which was described as 'Oyster Cut'  It was some of the best bacon I've ever had.. but I've never seen it since.  A little online research reveals why.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=Oyster+Cut+bacon&ia=web

Seems it's yet another casualty of the standardisation and blandness that comes from the dominance of supermarkets.

Another thing about bacon.  I love dry cured.  The usual 'wet cured' rubbish available these days is full of water and produces a white sludge from the bacon, which then burns to a brownish deposit in the pan and can spoil the process of frying eggs.  I always scrape the muck out of the pan first. With decent dry cured..there is none of that pantomime and you are actually buying bacon, rather than water.

Some interesting but depressing info here: 

http://www.foodcomm.org.uk/articles/processed_meats/

• Like 2

The Oyster cut would be what we call in nottingham "Gammon end "" ie where the Gammon meets the middle of the side of bacon,,and yes its definitely the tastiest,,and most expensive,,

I bet it wasnt in nottingham where you had it,,Different parts of the country have different names for bacon cuts,,Oyster term 

""not used in nottingham,, 

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, sorry BK. My husband goes to the wholesalers every so often and buys in bulk, it works out very cheap.We eat mostly chicken (red meat is out apart from lamb) so there was a box of wings to be shared between us and the dogs. (4). 6 full double chicken breasts, box of chicken thighs, about 12 double  packs of shins for the dogs ( occasionally we'll have one roasted) and the 2 sides of ribs which were separated and chopped in half for when we have a bbq. All packed up in portions and put in the freezer. He paid €120 for the lot and this will last us ages so we dont have to shop every day only for fresh stuff. What we buy is fresher than the supermarkets and local butchers so theres no fear that chicken starts to smell after its been put on a plastic tray and clingfilmed then put on display , isnt sold then when it is, it smells. Besides you never know how many people have handled it.

Tonight I am going to have my favourite meal ... egg and chips (crinkle cut), tomato sauce (Heinz) with bread and butter and a cup of tea. Heaven. The only thing that would make it better would be some parsnip chips in with the potato ones but as I don’t own a chip pan will have to make do with potato ones only.
Simple I know but sooooo tasty:biggrin: