• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Home alone tea ........ Dinner for one .... Me favourite   

Personally I would leave the lid intact before I chucked it in the bin. 

On 5/5/2021 at 4:38 PM, philmayfield said:

Love asparagus

I hate sparrowgrass, it makes my wee funny.

As for LizzieM having a venison burger "Oh deer!"

If I remember correctly the Cross Keys used to be a Kimberley Ales pub

Having lived in the area for most of my life I’ve never been in the Cross Keys at Epperstone. The pubs I most frequented were the Moon at Morton, the Waggon at Bleasby, the Crown at Rolleston, the Bromley at Fiskerton and the Coach at Thurgarton. I never travelled far from home!

Been in all of those except the Crown at Rolleston, can't remember that one, but I do remember the Magna Carta and the Unicorn at Gunthorpe and the Reindeer at Edingly, the Wagon at Halam, Some great pubs in Southwell too. Are the Bramley Apple and the Grapes still going?

Thanks Phil, there used to be so many good pubs in Southwell, there is a pub that is at the end of Easthorpe where you turn right for Fiskerton and left for Upton it now shows as the Old Coach House but it used to be called something else but I can't remember what.

As I recollect the pubs in Southwell are/were :

The White Lion (Old Coach House)

The Bramley Apple

The Hearty Good Fellow

The Saracen’s Head

The Crown

The Reindeer

The Shoulder of Mutton (Gone)

The Lord Nelson (The Dumbles - closed)

The Grapes (Gone)

The Admiral Rodney

The Portland Arms (Gone)

The Wheafsheaf

The Chesterfield Arms (The Final Whistle)

Some are gone, some have had a name change.

Some people did the challenge of a pint in each one in an evening but that was too much for me!

Flippin 'Eck Phil, sounds like it's a alcoholics paradise there. By chance, are there any houses (apart from public) or shops in that vicinity? 

There are loads of shops of various sorts. Unlike Nottingham none of them are boarded up. Strangely enough, although it’s only five miles away, I rarely stop there and just pass through. I think I’ve only been in the Minster twice in sixty years. There is a Marks and Sparks shop/filling station on the Upton Rd. which we use if we want a ready meal. I also call into Sherwood Restorations, the classic car dealers, to have a chat with the owner and kick a few tyres. My last purchase was a Lotus Elise but I don’t have a ‘toy’ car at the moment. I think those days are over!

Plenty of courgettes and you're stuck for a meal and you don't like them fried or boiled? Chop them fairly small along with a ripe tomato or a few cherry tomatoes, cook them with a garlic clove in a little oil when they are almost cooked add a good handful of fresh basil. Don't drain , serve with pasta or rice. This is a dish that we love, its fresh and light and you dont feel podged when you've finished eating.

6 hours ago, philmayfield said:

My last purchase was a Lotus Elise but I don’t have a ‘toy’ car at the moment. I think those days are over!

Go on Phil. get a classic with some style that is easy to get in and out of, you know you want to.

You know you want to get one Phil, just pay someone to do the maintenance and drive around the locality in regal splendour. Roll up to the Moon in an 50's two tone Riley RMB.

If you were to invest in a classic, non sports car what would it be?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

No, I don't fancy a classic saloon. It's got to be another sports car. I still lean towards Morgans, their car clubs are full of delightful eccentrics. I've had a 4/4 and a Plus Eight. Now winter's coming I think I'll shelve the idea for now.

Ah in that case the Prevaricator Roundtuit MkV with the maybelater shift and advanced neverwill start system should suit sir.    :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...