How Much Are Your Old Records Worth?

I'd love a Collins "S" series hame transceiver and amplifier, alas still way out of my budget, all vacuum tubes. You can still get a new vacuum tube of any type, but as I said, could be "gassy" or "leaky" Seals between the wires/pins on some weren't the greatest, but would normally give good service until the filament failed.

The military use "hardened " semi conductors in all there equipment, design Tech I used to know who was up on US military electronics couldn't go into secifics as he was covered by the secrets rulings, but did let a few of us know what he could divulge. He wrote a book for the military on antenna feedlines, terminations and couplers, used in training RF electonic engineers, very knowledgable man.

I carry many 6.3 and 12 volt vacuum tubes, I have higher voltage tubs too. My late BIL was a radio TV tech/ shop owner.

There are several very large electronics component dealers stateside who keep a very large inventory of semi conductors and stereo audio modules, if they haven't got what is wanted, chances are it's not available, they cater for both the DIYselfer and industry alike. at highly competitive prices.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The subject has gone off piste a little, but is interesting nevertheless. Record-playing runs in our family. Before the war, dad, who was very good at carpentry, made a radiogram, in the art deco styl

'Diana' sung by Paul Anka (#109), always reminds me of the Nottingham Goose Fair. I'd be stood with my mates at the side of the Waltzers watching the girls screaming as the chaps walk around spinning

The thing about Hi-Fi and all the attendant gubbins was that the equipment was more than just for playing records, the stuff was 'Objet d'art'. It looked great as well as sounding great. I notice th

Posted Images

Interesting comments.

As it 'appens, my speakers are Rogers, but unique. I'll go to the bother of explaining if anyone is interested.

QUAD was always good kit. And AFAIK, they still offer service of almost all their stuff going back yonks, though they are now (I think) foreign owned.

Little known fact. When QUAD was owned by (I think) Verity Group, back in the 90's, somebody suggested reviving the legendary QUAD II valve amp. This was originally sold as a mono amp in the early 50s and then used in pairs for stereo.

Whoever was in charge of Verity Group just said. 'Do it'.

But it wasn't that simple, because the original valves (KT66 ? ) were no longer made, and the old connectors etc were outdated. Also, QUAD no longer had valve amp manufacturing capability.

So, they looked around for a quality valve amp manufacturer to 'sub' the job to. They chose Papworth Audio Technology, whose amps I used from 1996 until recently. As far as I can tell, a couple of thousand pairs were made, all numbered. Not sure how many of the £6k per pair Gold plated ones were made, but Papworth assured me that most ended up in shrink wrap in the vaults of Japanese enrthisiasts.

Papworth undertook the required re-design to use a close equivalent to the no longer available KT66 (KT 88) I think, also fitting more modern conectors etc. The amps were sold in pairs. Some, were finished in gold plate, with silver production plates. I've seen and heard a pair of these. They are very close to the restored originals.

gold_ii%5B1811%5D.jpg

The QUAD II is a bit underpowered and 'soft' sounding for a lot of applications these days, but can sound superb.with the right speakers.

As it happens, early Rogers, such as the JR149, work very well.

Col

• 4 weeks later...

Seriously thinking about flogging them in the next ten years,it's a legacy my kids don't want..and I don't want to split the collection up.if a sensible offer was made,I would part with them all...bar two..Exile on Main St.and Machine Head are being burnt with me..forever melted into my soul!!

Similar here. I'm still steadily digitising what vinyl I've got and looking to put the resulting files, plus all of my CDs onto a server so I can stream whatever I want to the hi-fi using something like this Cambridge jobby below.

I really like playing vinyl but It's expensive these days what with half decent cartridges coming in at anything from £2-300 upwards, I could probs do better by selling the lot, and my turntable etc. Logically it mkes sense. Emotionally however...

851n-spotify-header.jpg?itok=RZnSSvB-

• 2 months later...

I have Rolling Stones first album on a reel to reel in a proper box,picked it up in Holland in 1980 as it is Philips/Decca,a bloke contacted me today and offered me €1200 !!

It is Mint and the cover box is "as new"..dare'nt tell herself!!

• 4 weeks later...

I have 6 old 78s left...all in good playing order. Tommy Steele singing Nairobi and A Handful of Songs.....Petula Clark singing Alone

Jim Dale singing Crazy Dream and Be My Girl and Paul Anka singing Diana

I also have quite a few LPs from the 50s.....maybe a little crackly, but still playable

Just Me, I'm afraid that all my old 78s were either softened in the oven and moulded into 'fruit bowls' or used as frisbees when a load of us used to meet on Summer evenings on Woodthorpe Park. I wish I still had them....

I had lots of Tommy Steele records and, of course, 'Diana' by Paul Anka. They really take me back...

• Upvote 1

I had everything Paul Anka sang.................Diana...terrific.......and I'm such a...........'Lonely Boy'.......lonely and blue, ah the memories............

I have a Beatles LP somewhere and all of the songs have german titles and are sung in german.

Anyone ever come across this before. I know the Beatles went to Hamburg at some point.

I have a Beatles LP somewhere and all of the songs have german titles and are sung in german.

Anyone ever come across this before. I know the Beatles went to Hamburg at some point.

The only 2 songs that The Beatles sang in German were, 'She Loves You' and 'I Want To Hold Your Hand'. 'My Bonnie' had a German intro but was sung by Tony Sheridan with The Beatles backing him.

'Diana' sung by Paul Anka (#109), always reminds me of the Nottingham Goose Fair. I'd be stood with my mates at the side of the Waltzers watching the girls screaming as the chaps walk around spinning their cars to make them go faster. And through the speakers came Paul Anka blasting out 'Diana', creating a fantastic atmosphere. Wouldn't it be great if you could pop back to those times, even for a couple of hours. :biggrin:

• Upvote 3

I remember Diana too Michael, and Oh Carol by the Everlys, Dions the Wanderer. Runaway, Del Shannon. Baby Face, Little Richard.

Way down yonder in New Orleans... Freddie Cannon.

Fantastic records. Great days indeed.

• Upvote 1

Neil Sedaka, that was it. Senior moment I'm afraid.

Just googled,..... Cathy's Clown was the one I was thinking of.

Cathy's Clown was the first record on Warner Bros. label (no. WB1) ans spent 9 weeks ar No 1 in the U.K. in 960. The Everly bros. mad esome great singles like "All I Have To Is Dream" - "Wake Up Little Susie" and "Walk Right Back" Good duo!

• Upvote 1

Not strictly true nnsc.I have a German Beatles sung version of Get Back..a bootleg obviously.. there are rumoured to be more.

Can Smiffy name some songs?.Ian.

I stand corrected Ian, although my knowledge is of released versions only.