The Old Market Square

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just in case anyone wants a bucketful of nostalgia, here's a piccy.

'Borrowed' this from Facebook, hope it works.    

Taken last night, Queen of the Midlands, if not England.  

Posted Images

My maternal grandmother worked as a librarian at Bromley House for a number of years prior to marrying my grandfather in 1918 when she retired. I've been a member of BH for several years and they found and showed me her name in their records. They bought her a tea service as a retirement gift apparently. It is a wonderful place and I love it, an oasis of calm in the heart of town.. The attic was the site of one of the first if not the first photographic studios in the city. It is currently undergoing a massive repair and restoration to the roof,  part funded by a lottery heritage grant. It's covered in scaffolding at the moment. They have had to move several tons of books to off site storage while the work takes place. 

• Like 2

Can any member (ian123) tell me why it's called OLD market square , i know that years ago we had a market there, also when was it named slab square, 

We call these fountains you should go to "Antibes" France now that's what you call a town square with fountains.

Just a guess - but given that the open market was held there until the 1920s (when the Council House was built and the market moved to Lower Parliament Street) I wonder if it was called ‘Market Square’ until then and the ‘Old’ was added after the market moved?

Last weekend I was at the Chesterfield Family History Fair. The Nottinghamshire Family History Society has a stand there and they were selling some excellent books. I bought 3: Nottingham city centre on old picture postcards, Nottingham's lost landmarks on old picture postcards and Nottingham events and disasters on old picture postcards. The postcards cover the years when my grandparents and parents lived there. In the city centre book is a photo of the Market Square showing "an informal pot market" at the top end of the square, near the statue of Victoria. People did buy pots from markets in those days and in Bradford there was a "pot man" who went around the estates selling pots. Great grandmother bought some, illustrated in my avatar. I never remember a "pot man" going around Bilborough. Also in the book is a good photo of Farmer's store. These little books of old postcards are interesting as the captions often say who produced the card and a little bit about the scene. Lots of social history. On 21st May 1906 the Nottingham Fire Brigade gave a demonstration at the Exchange. Great photo with firemen on the roof and lots of ladders! In the Yesterday's Nottinghamshire there are 50 of these little books about different parts of the city.

I had an interesting chat to the Nottinghamshire Family History Society people. Saturday was a great day out.

• Like 3

Sneinton market in its heyday was the place for pots. There was a well known pot man there who had an interesting line of patter and theatrical way of handling and banging the crockery about on a tea chest.

• Like 1

Ian there are some bits of life it is worth keeping to yourself!

Danny may not appreciate the world knowing about his earlier career or the address from which he did business.

I am thanking my lucky stars you have not been a customer of mine...…………………………………..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for all the responses. Interesting to hear about Sneinton market pot man. My dad was born in Sneinton.

If anyone is going to the family history event at the NEC on 7th and 8th June the Nottingham Family History Society will be there with lots of books! I believe they used to have a shop in Nottingham. 

On 5/27/2019 at 7:17 PM, siddha said:

I am thanking my lucky stars you have not been a customer of mine...…

Do you mean you were a drug dealer too...?

I like the starkness of the question Brew?

I don't think I was...………….but you know how memory fades and the past gets re-invented.

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/26/2018 at 6:38 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Got great memories of Beeston 1960/1.....Beeston lads club ,station road sat, nights,, me Harry Fewkes,,Colin Petitt,,Pete and Richard Robinson,,Keith Fairholme,(just realised we all lived on Andover road), not forgetting 'Big Bev' who taught me to Rock'n'roll proper...........great days until we all got banned,, Beeston lads did'nt like competion from Bulwell......,,....

This was one of the Posts i was on about .....ref ''Beeston''Lads club''