The Old Market Square

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just in case anyone wants a bucketful of nostalgia, here's a piccy.

'Borrowed' this from Facebook, hope it works.    

Taken last night, Queen of the Midlands, if not England.  

Posted Images

I've listened to both sides of the argument regarding the Old Market Square. For me it's nowhere remotely as attractive as the previous incarnation with it's characterful processional way. One point of view is that it's now more practical for staging events there. That may be so, but I think many of the more worthwhile events could have been situated in the area in front of the Council House and along Smithy Row in any case. Doing that would have saved a small fortune, a lot of disruption and preserved a beautiful focal point to Nottingham's city centre.

The current version is drab, grey and regularly punctuated and besmirched by inappropriate, cheap looking fairground rides no doubt provided due to someone's palm being greased.

I've heard the argument about it being more practical for staging events. It may be true and I'd accept that , but it still doesn't take into account the large amount of time when there aren't any events there. They're saying that it's good for 33% of the time, so it's ok for it to look awful the other 66% of the time

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...

There was a photograph posted on here of the 'colourful' then Market Sq(60's) near the toilets ware red/yellow flower beds,areas of green grass and white scrolled planters that housed much flora!

Even before the shenanigans of today's antics...it became very dull.

Even where the plate market was ,stood grass and shrubs.

It's extremely dull and dirty looking. The slabs are not aesthetically pleasing one iota. It's purely another money making scheme, instead of being a pleasurable place for the population to sit and cogitate . Also, we must be the only city in the country with no central toilets.

Don't anybody quote that shambles behind Clarkes shoe shop, it's a joke.

Too right Fly,after alighting from a Rainbow bus this year..I was shocked to find the toilets in Broad Marsh were located somewhere upstairs- with clenched buttocks ( TMI) i eventually found the gents.

Utterly ridiculous situation. What visitors must think doesn't bear thinking about.

Market Square. Such an iconic place.

Ruined by idiots in Local Government who don't seem to know nothing about tradition, design or 'aesthetically pleasing' structures.

It used to be the place where you would meet up (Meet you by the lions), have your sarnies during lunchbreak or even, use the toilets.

They spent millions on it (EU funded !) to make it look crap.

Granite storm drains. Anonymous open space.

• Upvote 3

I've never yer understood why the slabs were purchased from China or India or wherever for Gods sake.

What's up with British stone ? .... Ah, just remembered, there's no corruption or underhand dealing in the British stone industry.

Remember when they were restoring the front of the British Museum?

It was originally built out of Portland Stone, but some idiot thought he'd do it on the cheap and use some poorer quality French stone that was a complete mismatch:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/aug/25/arts.artsnews

It's a similar deal with Slab Square I dare say.

Some cheapo Chinese stuff to replace something that actually didn't need replacing!

• Upvote 1

Re the Bogs anyone used the bogs near primark,I unfortunately had to use these a few weeks ago ,in the doorway were a group of council workmen drinking tea and just chatting now I think a man (or woman ) who works hard deserves a break and a cuppa but hanging about toilet doorways so members of the public had to ask for them to move before they could get in beggars belief and yes I did put in a complaint.

Most European towns and cities have central underground toilets, I can't for the life of me understand ours being closed. It could so easily have been incorporated into the new design. Ok, a small charge would be necessary to keep it manned, but so what?

20p would cover it as in Europe it's normally 50c of even 1€ in popular places.

God, that looks good...... I seem to remember things like that.

Lovely picture Katy.............it was really nice back then...........hard to believe its same place that Royalty and an American President walked down,when you see it today....................

The date stamp is not correct, but it was a year Nottingham entered Btitain in Bloom, and I think they won that year.

What year was it ?............