The Old Market Square

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just in case anyone wants a bucketful of nostalgia, here's a piccy.

'Borrowed' this from Facebook, hope it works.    

Taken last night, Queen of the Midlands, if not England.  

Posted Images

The powers that be obviously wanted flat area to put on events, so they should have flattened Littlewoods/Primark and done everyone a favour, and slabbed that area.

• Upvote 5

Don't know where this market square bit comes from. We always knew it as Slab Square. Here's an old piccie took by me. Don't ask when !!

slabsquare.jpg

• Upvote 8

Well it was certainly before the mid 60s Alisoncc because at that time that end of the Square was being hogged by a cripple called Archie and his mates, just sitting slobbing about. A friend of mine thought he was wonderful, goodness knows what she saw in him.

• Upvote 1

alisoncc #42, when i was 17 i left home and joined a bunch of hippies where, in the pic, the 2 lads are sitting is where we used to sit most of the day, long haired idle buggers, the only time we left off sitting there was to go to the Palais de dance to get girls to pay for us to go in, use to have lunch dances then, be about 1963-4 about then.

there was about eight of us rented a bedsit in a house opposite the grosvenor hotel, knocked down now Savoy there i think, one of the lads was named Fred, trying to remember some of the others, on night we walked from city centre to Watnall bakery heard you could get a job for a night and paid next day, three of us worked, i was on a machine marking bread as it came out of the baking machine, not heavy work and we got paid next day about 09.30 had to hang about waiting for office staff. must have been a right twit, still good memories of lazy days, and palais girls

• Upvote 2
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Nice to see proper stonework too I might add.

• Upvote 1