The Old Market Square

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just in case anyone wants a bucketful of nostalgia, here's a piccy.

'Borrowed' this from Facebook, hope it works.    

Taken last night, Queen of the Midlands, if not England.  

Posted Images

• 5 months later...

Judging by that picture how it looked then and how it looks now I'd say it could do with a damn good clean.

• Upvote 1

Were the lion's installed at the same time as the council house was built or were they a later addition?.

800px-Ccl-hse-opening-22051929.png

Looks like it . This is a pic of the opening by Prince of Wales 22/05/1929 . If you zoom in you can just make out the lions .

• Like 5

When I was waiting for a bus in slab square, a Polish chap asked me what the building was, I told him it was the council house, he said " very nice, I've got my name down for one of those "!!.

It's an old one I know, but it fits the thread.

• Like 1

That GPO building was built with a nuclear bunker in the specially reinforced basement. Never outfitted though as by the time came to bring it into service the power of the bombs had increased that much it would have been part of the crater. The GPO shooting club had it has a range instead, shot there a good few times.

• Like 1

The pea souper pic reminds me of one I took of the square under similar conditions but on Kodachrome (transparency film). I thought it was beautifully evocative and wanted a print enlargement made. In those days, prints from reversal film had to be processed by Kodak themselves so, the transparency was duly sent to Kodak for the print to be made. A week passed by before I found out that Kodak was refusing to make a print as the quality of the transparency was of "Insufficiently high quality to allow their name to be associated with it." Bladdy cheek!