The Old Market Square

s28.jpgThis nice geezer lived on Dryden Sts1a.jpgthis was a weekly occurance..someone drops a bottle of Fairy in the fountain.s14.jpgThis man preached the word of God regular.Barclays Bank is now a pub.

• Like 3
  • Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just in case anyone wants a bucketful of nostalgia, here's a piccy.

'Borrowed' this from Facebook, hope it works.    

Taken last night, Queen of the Midlands, if not England.  

Posted Images

Some brilliant pics Ian. Thanks for posting. Takes me right back to my youth. I left Nottingham in 1972 to go to Uni. I've since lived in Long Eaton, Loughborough and Grantham but never managed to return to the city although I keep nagging my wife.

BTW did you spot Tug in front of the Council House keeping a watchful eye on the demonstrators?

The bald guy with specs in The Village People tribute pic has got the biggest forehead I've ever seen. Do you reckon he's an alien? lol

• Like 1

I don’t know what they imported except it was the cheapest in town. We would go there first on a night out even when we would sometimes be going into the shire. I can’t remember the night, I think Wednesday, we would go to Hucknall Miners Welfare for their dance night. We would go to Yates first, load up and buy a bottle to take out then on to the Miners Welfare. I sometimes wonder how I kept in on piece with some of the surf we got up to.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Martyn said:

I see that place of great refinement and breading - Yates Wine Lodge. Yates Ruby Wine - nectar of the gods for a 13 year old!

THE Yates's tipple had to be their Birthday White Port - sold loose from their Offie on Market St at about 2d a gallon. Absolutely dreadful stuff, it could have powered the Apollo space missions.

Supposedly only sold one day a year - on the founders birthday but, judging from the number of people who have told me of similar experiences to mine after drinking it, it must have been more widely available than that.

Note: it wasn't really 3d a gallon but it was stupidly cheap - Mr Yates annual gift to his loyal customers.

It appears from GSV that the Offie is no longer there.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

Had  a tipple in Yates's Liverpool last Friday. Just like Wetherspoons.

Are you still standing 

Yates’s has either gone up market or Whetherspoons have gone down. The thing about Yates in Nottingham would be the contrasts, Kings downstairs was quite posh, the main floor was almost the equivalent of the wild west, with that string quartet playing on the balcony.

I'd forgotten the sawdust on the ground floor but, yes, it was there. It gave a characteristic "perfume" to the whole establishment.

My memory lapse was possibly due to us congregating on the balcony bar (can't remember what it was called) near to where the Talbot Trio had their setup - no sawdust up there.

• Like 1

The upstairs at Yates's was quite refined, with copper topped tables, and so called weak 'champagne ' on draught ! 

The little off licence on Market St was well stocked too I recall.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

There's a thread on 'stalgia titled 'The Last Tailor in Nottingham'.

It puts the Ten Bob Tailor on Beast market Hill, so it was around there, it closed in 1977 according to beanbag1216.

On the right of the picture somewhere is the Truman's longbar, I went in once only in 1960 and thought it was old and worn out and no place for a young teenager.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I think it is a mixture of both..architecture is a fashion of the time..in some cases.The Council House is a classic design..probably now, as well as then.Like the cenotaph by Lutyens.I think someone posted on here about Post - War attitudes towards almost everything.

In terms of age..i..and maybe others are selective in embracing change.

I dislike the moderness of the internet..but love the John Mills films and rare blues and rock on Youtube.

Having said that...i would prefer thumbing thru' LPs at Bradleys than scrolling a playlist ..( waffling now.)

The square still is for the people of Nottm...but it seems geared now towards a younger population..or Granparents holding bags & shoes whilst kids paddle and ride white knuckle Mellors moneyspinners.

Sali Army and the bible bashers anyday!

• Like 1

The times they are a changing ! Not for the better I dare say.

Can't let another dreich day photo of my old home town pass by without giving it a "like" Ian. It's strange to think that I could have been walking on Long Row or catching the bus up to Mapperley when the photo seems to come from such a different era, bootees an`all!

Nice Vanguard!

• Like 3

lyons1_1.jpgIn reality i couldn't have been a happy child..i remember the stupid ...whilst others whizzed around on a Mobo Scooter.Life was like a movie... living in town..the smell of fuel fumes through the vent of the ice cream van, the splutter of handicap 3 - wheelers, sweet smell of cherries from the barrow lads..stacked on false grass..why was the paper pink on a certain day, Streamline Taxis with white boots & bonnets, baseball boots and bush hats, drinkers panned out in the sun of the square, black marias...that changed to navy, humbers, hillmans and huskys, Honda 250s with crashpipes,barefoot window dressers in Griffins, roasting coffee at The Granary, hotpants and tanktops...all this against a backdrop of Schools, Captain Cook, flat top milk and fights.I remembered the trivial and forgot to forget it.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1