The Old Market Square

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just in case anyone wants a bucketful of nostalgia, here's a piccy.

'Borrowed' this from Facebook, hope it works.    

Taken last night, Queen of the Midlands, if not England.  

Posted Images

Just pinched this pic. off a FB site, takes your mind back

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Didn’t the City Council gift that registration plate to Princess Anne?  I’ve been trying to remember the woman’s surname, she was well known but I don’t think she was ever Mayor. I can remember what she looked like, she was a big dark haired woman.  

ANN 1, or 1 ANN. I Can't remember which now.

I think it was on Ann Yates’s civic car, ANN 1. I believe she was chairwoman of Notts CC ar the time. She lived at the Manor House at Rolleston. I believe the Council gave it to Princess Anne as a wedding present. It’s currently on a BMW convertible. I doubt Princess Anne would have drawn attention to herself by displaying it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

We'll probably end up with a Trabant or a Moskovitch nowadays. Maybe even a lilac or rainbow coloured Smart.

• Upvote 1

Last time I saw the NTV1, some years back it was on a green Jag or Daimler.

Never heard of Ann Yates, I wonder why the council would sanction a special registration for someone who would only be transient. Was the County Council based at the Council House then and not across the river?

NTV 1 and 2 were City Council cars. ANN 1 belonged to the County council. Yates inherited the registration. The fact it was her name, without the E, was coincidental. She was chairwoman of the County Council from 1968 to 1974.The County Council were based at County Hall. I don’t know where they were based prior to that. The civic cars carried personalised registrations long before they became generally popular.

15 minutes ago, denshaw said:

I used to know someone who drove the Mayors Rolls, he said it was quite old and uncomfortable.

I've never ben in one of those old Rollers, but if you look at the front seats they are like a large sofa. If you were the driver and turned a corner, I imagine you could slide out of the passenger door.

An old friend, no longer with us, used to be chairman of Newark and Sherwood Council. He was a farmer and like most farmers I’ve known enjoyed a drink or two! He had to attend many civic receptions mainly in the evenings. He used to look forward to himself and his wife being collected and delivered back home in the civic car and not having to worry about how much to drink!

Dunno about cars, but I do recall that many, if not all of the Fire appliances stationed in Shakespeare Street had assorted Nottm reg letters, followed by 999.

3 hours ago, TBI said:

Last time I saw the NTV1, some years back it was on a green Jag or Daimler.

Never heard of Ann Yates, I wonder why the council would sanction a special registration for someone who would only be transient. Was the County Council based at the Council House then and not across the river?

Notts County Council started back in 1889 at The Shire Hall in High Pavement after centuries of administration by the magistrates at Quarter Sessions which dated back to feudal times.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

Could kill a Capstan,, lol,,

Got home about 8am,,Mam cooked me whatever i wanted.......then couple of hours kip,,before joining my Dad for a pint in the railway club,, home for Mams sunday dinner,, another kip,, then back into town with a favourite lady,, Sunday was couples night in town in the 60s,, loved the 'Bodega' juke box ,nice smooch ,, Quatro's at 4/6 went down well with the ladies there,,    lol..............anyone know is the Bodega still open ?   love to take the Mrs one Sunday evening.........

• Like 1

Thanks for that Ian.............might nip in early doors for old times sake.............smack a student and leg it to Beeston,,    only joking,,

Got great memories of Beeston 1960/1.....Beeston lads club ,station road sat, nights,, me Harry Fewkes,,Colin Petitt,,Pete and Richard Robinson,,Keith Fairholme,(just realised we all lived on Andover road), not forgetting 'Big Bev' who taught me to Rock'n'roll proper...........great days until we all got banned,, Beeston lads did'nt like competion from Bulwell......,,....

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Could kill a Capstan,, lol,,

Got home about 8am,,Mam cooked me whatever i wanted.......then couple of hours kip,,before joining my Dad for a pint in the railway club,, home for Mams sunday dinner,, another kip,, then back into town with a favourite lady,, Sunday was couples night in town in the 60s,, loved the 'Bodega' juke box ,nice smooch ,, Quatro's at 4/6 went down well with the ladies there,,    lol..............anyone know is the Bodega still open ?   love to take the Mrs one Sunday evening.........

Bodega is still open - but not as you knew it! Certainly not my scene but you may be more of a swinger than me! :biggrin:

• Like 1