The Old Market Square

Thanks for that Phil..............still might go,, early one night,, up the back stairs ?  not a swinger but up for a bit of Nostalga...........

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just in case anyone wants a bucketful of nostalgia, here's a piccy.

'Borrowed' this from Facebook, hope it works.    

Taken last night, Queen of the Midlands, if not England.  

Posted Images

I'm one of those who intensely dislike the vandalism perpetrated on Slab Square, particularly the 'Weeing Wall', which bears no relationship to its surroundings in scale, purpose or materials, and which meant the destruction of a far more useful 'weeing facility'!

What I want to know, though, is has anyone improved it by the addition of Fairy Liquid, as regularly happened with its predecessors?

Those uniforms have a sort of American/Canadian look, but the headwear is unfamiliar. Polish maybe?  Military uniform not my world.

I wonder  how many of those unfortunates survived 'till 1945 ?     

Or even to the end of June '44...……..

• Like 3

Those are American Paratroopers. Note the trousers tucked into the boots.

Did'nt spot those  trousers in boots and would never had guessed American Paratroopers, a long long way from home and further to go still - brave lads

• Like 1

GI's wore spats over their boots and over their pant bottoms, Para's on earning their jump wings had to tuck their pants into their boots, a "badge" of what they were.

ALL of those fellers were volunteers, many, I'd hazard a guess, 35%-40% never returned, and probably buried in the US war cemeteries in various European countries.

• Like 2

My late Mum had some great stories...about those days..a very sad one..on Derby Rd .near Hooleys .

A deuce and a half hit a small child..and killed her..the U.S driver was in bits.Also folk in Lenton and Radford had German POW's in for tea of a Sunday evening!

They were allowed to walk to town...but could not avail of Public Transport.

One evening on Wheeler Gate a couple of German POW's with large pink circles on their greatcoats..got a clattering of a Mams handbag..she ..from Bloomsgrove St..had recieved a telegram the day before of her Sons demise.

Couldn't imagine a couple of Nottm squaddies being afforded the luxury of strolling around a German city and munching on pumpernickel...or did they??

I don't think the feller on the left was a paratrooper, two on the right are, even the junior officers up to majors wore the hat the two on the right are wearing, I wonder if the guy on the left was in the army airforce??

• Like 1

Major Dick Winters wrote a fairly good history of his company, E company, very modest man, and according to the men he commanded, a brave man who led from the front, highly respected. Sadly he passed away a couple of years back.

• Like 1

Ayeup..have a look at the thread 508 at Tent City i posted. There were lots of additional photos on this USA veterans site..and the folks were nice to talk to. I refrained from names because sadly most perished.Maybe they were a mixed lot?.i know they performed a Concert at the Council House and The Albert Hall..and frequented a cafe in West Bridgford..that spoilt them with very scarce doughnuts.

Edit: Dicks closing line to his Grandson..gets me everytime.

I read Band of Brothers, which was made into the TV mini series, fair few photos in that, and Dick Winters book too.

On Youtube you will find many videos by the survivors of "Easy" company, who relate their personal experiences, once again, all gone now. There's also a few reunions of that company, sadly the last couple were done by the sons and daughters of those brave men, in honour of their late Fathers.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

David, yes I can remember that, would have been one spring or summer Saturday evening that I looked round it. We ere on our way back to Clifton having spent the day at my Nan's in Bilborough. We would have got off the 60 in Angel Row and would have been walking through to Broad Marsh via Slab Square.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, DavidA said:

Can anyone remember a submarine in the Market Square? If it wasn't a dream, it must have been in the early 1970's. I got to look through the periscope at the buildings outside.

Totally forgotten about this..thanks DavidA. I Remember the periscope. I think they gave out glossy leaflets and maybe stickers also.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Hopewells the Furnishers was I believe first situated on corner of Parliament Street/Milton Street, always been called Hopewells and always a furniture store.  Hope Bros was a different company, a men’s outfitters, as Commo says.  

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Hopewells the Furnishers was I believe first situated on corner of Parliament Street/Milton Street, always been called Hopewells and always a furniture store.  Hope Bros was a different company, a men’s outfitters, as Commo says.  

As Lizzie mentioned. It's currently a Burger King.

7UZstib.jpg

Note also the building across the road (now Nottingham Building Society) is also Hopewells.

• Upvote 2

Hopes were on Long Row as on Ian's photo, just up from Yates and before Pearsons. They were eventually taken over by a national chain as Ian mentions, can't recall the trading name before it apparently became Just Pants Plus, after I had been exiled to The North!

• Like 2