Caz

The Old Market Square

A certain man bless's himself after laying flowers on the Council House steps in memory of the Paris victims of Muslim terror attack.IMG_7142.jpgone was a little hung over.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IAN123. said:

Works ongoing on South Parade, 1958.64322.1.280.99999.unpad.jpgMaybe a little early for Mac Fisheries?

Mk 1 Jag looks small alongside the Morris Oxford

• Like 2

Shows how things worked with greedy planners and Councils..only supermarket for years was Tesco in Vic Centre. Co op food hall was tiny..that went..Littlewoods went..Safeway went..Marks & Sparks..dint do normal grub. When Sainsbury left Broadmarsh to go to the Canal area..a deal was struck NOT to put another Supermarket in it's place..took them a few years to realise they'd dropped a bollock..when the £ shops expanded their range.Aldi is just out of Vic Centre now..and small versions of high st.Supermarkets are dotted about. ( Akin)...to other things?..

• Like 1

Just pinched this pic. off a FB site, takes your mind back

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Looks like the mayor's green roller parked out front, the one with the ANN registration. Can't see coppers or there wouldn't be loafers on the steps. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Didn’t the City Council gift that registration plate to Princess Anne?  I’ve been trying to remember the woman’s surname, she was well known but I don’t think she was ever Mayor. I can remember what she looked like, she was a big dark haired woman.  

ANN 1, or 1 ANN. I Can't remember which now.

I think it was on Ann Yates’s civic car, ANN 1. I believe she was chairwoman of Notts CC ar the time. She lived at the Manor House at Rolleston. I believe the Council gave it to Princess Anne as a wedding present. It’s currently on a BMW convertible. I doubt Princess Anne would have drawn attention to herself by displaying it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Do I remember a mayoral car registration NTV1?

TV was one of the Nottingham vehicle registration locality identifiers (I don't know the technical term).

We'll probably end up with a Trabant or a Moskovitch nowadays. Maybe even a lilac or rainbow coloured Smart.

• Upvote 1

Last time I saw the NTV1, some years back it was on a green Jag or Daimler.

Never heard of Ann Yates, I wonder why the council would sanction a special registration for someone who would only be transient. Was the County Council based at the Council House then and not across the river?

NTV 1 and 2 were City Council cars. ANN 1 belonged to the County council. Yates inherited the registration. The fact it was her name, without the E, was coincidental. She was chairwoman of the County Council from 1968 to 1974.The County Council were based at County Hall. I don’t know where they were based prior to that. The civic cars carried personalised registrations long before they became generally popular.

I used to know someone who drove the Mayors Rolls, he said it was quite old and uncomfortable.

Quite often the mayoral car was driven for evening appointments by selected drivers from the City Transport. This was told to me by an old friend who used to be the M.D of NCT.

15 minutes ago, denshaw said:

I used to know someone who drove the Mayors Rolls, he said it was quite old and uncomfortable.

I've never ben in one of those old Rollers, but if you look at the front seats they are like a large sofa. If you were the driver and turned a corner, I imagine you could slide out of the passenger door.

An old friend, no longer with us, used to be chairman of Newark and Sherwood Council. He was a farmer and like most farmers I’ve known enjoyed a drink or two! He had to attend many civic receptions mainly in the evenings. He used to look forward to himself and his wife being collected and delivered back home in the civic car and not having to worry about how much to drink!

Dunno about cars, but I do recall that many, if not all of the Fire appliances stationed in Shakespeare Street had assorted Nottm reg letters, followed by 999.