The Old Market Square

I'd say so oz( happy easter mate).

When did Queen Vic get moved to the embankment..'53-'55?

That area was known as the plate market.

Used to walk to school in those fogs.

Remember the TV ad?

"Don't dazzle..dip your headlights".

Edit:jonab...was the kodak place near the Badger Box pub,

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just in case anyone wants a bucketful of nostalgia, here's a piccy.

'Borrowed' this from Facebook, hope it works.    

Taken last night, Queen of the Midlands, if not England.  

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Edit:jonab...was the kodak place near the Badger Box pub,

The Kodak plant at Annesley, not far from the Badger Box, closed in 2005 after 25 years of operation so I guess that when Jonab took his pea souper photo it would have been sent to Harrow in Middlesex which is where I sent my Ektachrome slides if I wanted an enlargement or prints.

Ian, Hope you enjoyed St. Patricks Day.

I can remember having yellow lenses that clipped on my driving lights, not sure they were that much use in some of the fogs along the Trent valley in the 60's

• Like 1

The Kodak place was the main Kodachrome processing facility at Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire.

There was a part which was chopped off my previous reply here. That was to say I had a copy negative of the transparency made (on Agfacolor) and a conventional 8 x 10 print made from that. There was some loss of quality but the picture received a "Commended" rosette at a local photo exhibition.

• Like 1

Personally, I would have dated that pic as a bit before '79. As an avid wearer of loon pants (as modelled by the fella in the picture) I think they were on their way out of being de rigueur as a fashion accessory by that date. Of course, platform sole shoes were essential wear to accompany loons which were a bit daft if you are tall, as I am, such that I towered over others and was continually banging my head on lintels over doors.

Note the pic with Meg & Sandy and friend (above). The friend is wearing "half loons" - they didn't have the full expansiveness of proper loons.

From a book I read years ago, the Who were formed in London from another local group called the Detours. 

Seen them in Nottingham a few times. One of the best live groups I've ever seen, especially at the NJF at Plumpton in the early 70's.

3 1/2 hours of brilliance !

So be it - she's very flat chested though. You must have very acute vision (after your eye operation?) to be able to identify the make of bag:)

In those days it was often quite a challenge to gender-specify a hippy - my salvation in this regard was because I was tall (especially with the platform soles) and had a beard. Even so, I had extremely long hair and from behind, I was often thought to be female.

2 hours ago, IAN123. said:

don't recall this shop Ciro at all ..

Remember it well. I used to catch the bus home outside Pearsons when I worked in Nottingham. On the other side of the road, out of shot, there was a decorating shop. In the 70s, I bought several boxes of mirror tiles with gold swirly patterns on them. They looked very swish when affixed to the wall!

• 4 weeks later...

9s, 54s, & 65s, the "Dale Rota" could possibly be the original terminus at the side of Burtons, later moved to the other side of the council house with the implementation of the one way system around the square.

The "Dale" a really boring rota, you either loved it or hated it, mind you there were some real oddballs on there !

Started from Littlewoods/ Prmark /Black boy up Victoria st, down Hockley, turned right along Parliament st left onto Southark st, right onto Sneinton rd and then up the Dale onto Oakdale rd. Hold tight please, 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, catfan said:

Anywhere Sneinton Dale related & that awful long circular route the 25  !

As far as I remember, I'm pretty sure 9,54,65 routes were Gordon Road / Thorneywood, Prospect Road, weren't they ?

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed cycling from home in Ruddington early on such a Sunday morning in the 50`s on the way to visit the Grans and Great Aunt who lived on Comyn Street and Great Freeman Street. I would go either over Trent Bridge or the halfpenny bridge, down Arko, up Wheeler Gate then do a circuit or two of the Square when it was so quiet and peaceful and not much in the way of one way streets. Up Long Row and into Clumber Street then down Parliament Street past the Market, along St Ann's Well Road to Commercial Square then up Alfred St Central. All the way there was hardly a soul about.

Now that was really Sunday, back home for dinner with Billy Cotton!

• Like 2
On 4/28/2018 at 11:23 AM, roger peatman said:

As far as I remember, I'm pretty sure 9,54,65 routes were Gordon Road / Thorneywood, Prospect Road, weren't they ?

Roger, yes they were. My Dad was on this rota when it went OMO in 1971, at the time the rota also covered the 11, 12, 14, 21 and 24 routes to West Bridgford, the "Cinderella" 45 route and the very boring 26 route between Elmhurst Avenue, Carlton and Godfrey Road, Netherfield. The rotas were split when Trent Bridge re-opened as an operational depot in 1973, with the West Bridgford routes transferring back there. Dad transferred to Trent Bridge at this time.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Deepdene Boy said:

Roger, yes they were. My Dad was on this rota when it went OMO in 1971, at the time the rota also covered the 11, 12, 14, 21 and 24 routes to West Bridgford, the "Cinderella" 45 route and the very boring 26 route between Elmhurst Avenue, Carlton and Godfrey Road, Netherfield. The rotas were split when Trent Bridge re-opened as an operational depot in 1973, with the West Bridgford routes transferring back there. Dad transferred to Trent Bridge at this time.

Coincidentally , my Dad was a driver on this rota in the late 50's early 60's - I often used to ride with him for an entire shift. (for free of course)  smile2

• Like 4