Caz

The Old Market Square

When I was waiting for a bus in slab square, a Polish chap asked me what the building was, I told him it was the council house, he said " very nice, I've got my name down for one of those "!!.

It's an old one I know, but it fits the thread.

• Like 1

HSE would have a heart attack seeing those two standing on the cornice..

What a fabulous vista of Nottingham centre.

Burton's, Beastmarket hill and buses.

Note the taxis on the left with the yellow painted bonnets.

The car's a Riley.

• Like 1

The Roundhouse is visible up on the Ropewalk.Catfan...look away now- 

this tram in theSquare in 1931.001b33823c367ccf21c89925c81ded66.jpg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Well proportioned and not an extension of Goose Fair. Is that a Riley or jag?aa3d8e629b3487ff507da85c774f3fa0.jpg

I used to park our Mini on that very spot where the Riley is back in the 60’s

Anyone else old enough to remember the fire ponds in the corners of the square in the 40's?

I have read something about those Peveril on another area of NS...very interesting- must have been some work to dismantle the war structure put in place at that time.

And it look's like the taxi stand was in the same place as I remember years later!!

The Market Square and a 77 bus...is that the post office hi-rise being built on Bath Street?a422afec485c259429da96bb3df462b1.jpg

• Like 3

We can never deny The Market Square 

caters for all types.

Recall the little Colour Sergeant that ran drunks of the steps? The bible bashers? The end is nigh proclaimer?.punks, teds, mods and rockers? And the Sali Army Band of a Sunday evening soothing us all.3062340979_5a08e55241.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Den...had moved to Bulwell by then but recall being on the 44 and watching the progress. The place was next door..sort of auction w/hse sold weird items.

That GPO building was built with a nuclear bunker in the specially reinforced basement. Never outfitted though as by the time came to bring it into service the power of the bombs had increased that much it would have been part of the crater. The GPO shooting club had it has a range instead, shot there a good few times.

• Like 1

The large island near Yates's was removed,Tug Wilson when retired worked at the Lloyds Bank,Skin kraft was on the corner of Mkt st.03cee7cf060cf25612f3b532b5d825c7.jpg

• Like 3

Looking at the differences in all the photos in this topic...and one thing becomes obvious.

Even going back 15 years ..and further the Market Square was a place for all, an oasis if you like..despite it being central in town...you could nibble on a sarnie, feed the birds and watch the world.

Now it's crammed with profit driven tat..the seating area is apalling,the bins overflow and pock marked with a million gum marks.

Not a place to rest yer' feet if you're out of puff or your shopping is heavy..hope the fairground takings actually benefit the A&E, the elderly and other frontline services.

Shame that you have to find a bit of P&Q in a pub!

• Like 2