Caz

The Old Market Square

Might be Roger...catfan or Deepdene might help.

The photo us undated..my guess is 1947.

No road markings too.

9s, 54s, & 65s, the "Dale Rota" could possibly be the original terminus at the side of Burtons, later moved to the other side of the council house with the implementation of the one way system around the square.

The "Dale" a really boring rota, you either loved it or hated it, mind you there were some real oddballs on there !

Started from Littlewoods/ Prmark /Black boy up Victoria st, down Hockley, turned right along Parliament st left onto Southark st, right onto Sneinton rd and then up the Dale onto Oakdale rd. Hold tight please, 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roger peatman said:

Where did the "Dale" rota go exactly - remind me.

Anywhere Sneinton Dale related & that awful long circular route the 25  !

16 hours ago, catfan said:

Anywhere Sneinton Dale related & that awful long circular route the 25  !

As far as I remember, I'm pretty sure 9,54,65 routes were Gordon Road / Thorneywood, Prospect Road, weren't they ?

• Like 2

As well yes. 3 & 59 primarily up the "Dale" then down Douglas Avenue in a circular route.

Two at the taxi rank.7af3c5333062408f4e602d8fd9ee1230--nottinAn_old_bus_in_Nottingham_City_Centre_-_gCambridges, Oxfords, Cortina and an 1885.williams 'what '? Limited.

• Like 2

a1c448a31fbd3c9341d3bed880233d33.jpgTaken on a real Sunday- when it really was a day of rest..Dad carved the joint..church..Salvation Army played a tune..the £5 shopping spree on Arnold Market that Dennis McCarthy gave away..window shopping and not a grain of sand or a Mellor in sight 

• Like 3

I really enjoyed cycling from home in Ruddington early on such a Sunday morning in the 50`s on the way to visit the Grans and Great Aunt who lived on Comyn Street and Great Freeman Street. I would go either over Trent Bridge or the halfpenny bridge, down Arko, up Wheeler Gate then do a circuit or two of the Square when it was so quiet and peaceful and not much in the way of one way streets. Up Long Row and into Clumber Street then down Parliament Street past the Market, along St Ann's Well Road to Commercial Square then up Alfred St Central. All the way there was hardly a soul about.

Now that was really Sunday, back home for dinner with Billy Cotton!

• Like 2

williams 'what '? Limited.

& Glyn's Bank?

I know i grumble about the design features of the square.. but we and i are very lucky that such a space is made available to us all.

That goes for past dignitaries who ploughed money so we enjoy our city.

Not so much as a bench here donated by local business folk.

• Like 2

Thanks to MACE a film and photo site.. .these images from Market Square on a day in 1951.OMS3_JPG.jpgOMS2_JPG.jpgOMS1_JPG.jpgOMS4_JPG.jpgOMS5_JPG.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/28/2018 at 11:23 AM, roger peatman said:

As far as I remember, I'm pretty sure 9,54,65 routes were Gordon Road / Thorneywood, Prospect Road, weren't they ?

Roger, yes they were. My Dad was on this rota when it went OMO in 1971, at the time the rota also covered the 11, 12, 14, 21 and 24 routes to West Bridgford, the "Cinderella" 45 route and the very boring 26 route between Elmhurst Avenue, Carlton and Godfrey Road, Netherfield. The rotas were split when Trent Bridge re-opened as an operational depot in 1973, with the West Bridgford routes transferring back there. Dad transferred to Trent Bridge at this time.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Deepdene Boy said:

Roger, yes they were. My Dad was on this rota when it went OMO in 1971, at the time the rota also covered the 11, 12, 14, 21 and 24 routes to West Bridgford, the "Cinderella" 45 route and the very boring 26 route between Elmhurst Avenue, Carlton and Godfrey Road, Netherfield. The rotas were split when Trent Bridge re-opened as an operational depot in 1973, with the West Bridgford routes transferring back there. Dad transferred to Trent Bridge at this time.

Coincidentally , my Dad was a driver on this rota in the late 50's early 60's - I often used to ride with him for an entire shift. (for free of course)  smile2

• Like 4

Amazing pictures! People patiently waiting in the queue for their turn to board the bus. I remember those ticket machines.

• Like 1