Empire, Windmill and other Cafes

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You put your finger on it Phil.   I was not trying to be snotty in the posts above, just responding to what I see as blanket putdowns that serve no useful purposes but to increase animosity.  Lord kno

Each to their own Phil.  So long as they don’t try to push religion down my throat it doesn’t worry me.   I was christened and went to church and Sunday School til I was about 7, I was married in a ch

Don't worry Lizzie I don't have religion.  That can be boring.  I have faith, which isn't boring, I'm constantly learning.  I'm not going to push it down your or anyone else's throat though and defini

We must have crossed each other's paths quite often.

A very frequent patron of the Pepper Mill was Jed - tall, long blonde hair, very buxom, very fond of garish hippy clobber. Ring any bells? I have mentioned her before in my early days here but drew a blank then. I used to share a flat with her, next door to the Grosvenor.

• Like 1

I don't watch soaps..but i often used to  laugh seeing Corro residents eating in Roys Cafe..on said Street.

But thinking back- there i lived smack bang in the centre and frequented The Olympian opposite the Peacock, The Elbow, Hughs on Huntington St, cappouchi's on Parliament St, Palace Coffee House, Trinity Square, The Empire and Empress..Tess's on the bottom of Derby Rd.was my fave..next door to the Amoy Chinese.

Summat about pop music, high stools, and plastic oranges bobbing around in a juice machine.

I appreciate this may be moving a bit far away from the Market Square but, does anyone remember the name of a coffee bar about half way up Mansfield Road between the City and Forest Road? I seem to recall it was up a few steps such that you looked down on passers-by.

• I do remember it, fairly well up Mansfield Rd, do remember quite a few  steps up, was it the Bamboo or something like that ?, another trendy place , subdued lighting an' all that,  seem to remember a record playing " judy in disguise, with glasses"
  • 2 weeks later...

Found a snap at last!52353-1-280-99999-unpad.jpgReg's bike is propped up outside a great haunt of mine..especially of a Saturday..if i had 'owt left from Gee Dee..would pop in here for Double egg & Chips and heavily buttered wonderloaf and make  fat butties ..so it melted and covered your fist!

Decked out in primrose yellow and wooden brown stalls inside.1950's kitch sketches of windmills hung on the walls.Last time i was in here...i'd stepped off a Rosetta coach and had tea with our kid..as my Dad was moving us all to Bulwell.

The Old Dutch.

• 1 month later...

On a Saturday mum used to take me into Pearson's basement for tea and a toasted teacake or she felt like a cake we went into Lyons and if we were just coffeeing it was the Kardoma.  I remember going to a place opposite the Victoria Centre railway bridge  it had lots of dangling large orange flowery lampshades made from cotton with long fringes can't remember the name of the street or the teashop but I think there was a clothes shop either above the teashop or nearby - you went up a wooden staircase to get to the clothes shop.  There used to be a tea shop/bread shop chain in the south called Acres The Bakers who had the same lampshades! 

• Like 2

Just remembered another - not in Market Sq but Woolworths down near Broad Marsh.   I went one Saturday on my own and got a plate of chips.  I sat down and this old bloke came at sat opposite me.  All was OK until he took his teeth out........oh la la....I legged it before I was sick :(

• Like 1
On 7/22/2018 at 8:01 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

Foodies are the most boring people on the planet, or so I find, along with people who are obsessed with money and possessions. As long as I have sufficient of both to get by, I can't see the point in drooling over them.

Jill I've just read this thread . What is your definition of a foodie? You could consider me a foodie but I don't consider myself one of them.

I love food of all types, gourmet food, peasant food, Chinese, Indian etc the only things I don.'t eat are fast food particularly hamburgers and tripe. I have been involved with restaurants since 1970, working and cooking, I have enjoyed it. Now I am basically on my own , my husband is a chef and works lunch and dinner as does my son. My daughter is also a chef and works the same hours. So the only cooking I do is whatever I fancy be it something complicated or simple like a sandwich, I please my self. Very often just a yoghurt I'm not fussy. But food plays a big part in our lives and Italian food is very good.

Sorry if this sounds I'm trying to pick on you or cause a long discussion, it was just a strange comment for you to make.It's not a criticism and I hope you don't take it the wrong way because that's not what I intended . I'm sure the comment wasn't directed at me but was just curious.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

They're ALWAYS trying to convert us normal eaters, but I find they get easily rundown, and become more susceptible to illness.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Maybe you've never met one!  Vegan or true Christian.  You should find one, and try talking to him seriously sometime.  You might find he isn't as boring as you think.

I don't mean swapping smart remarks, and putdowns.  I'm talking real dialogue on substantive issues.  Life and death.  The nature of Eternity.  Will I live beyond the grave?  You know, nice light stuff.

I'd be happy to do it here, but this is not the place.  The thing that becomes boring is the constant putdowns that the nature of the medium doesn't allow a serious reply to.  That seems a bit one sided.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
11 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

More boring than Christians?:biggrin:

Each to their own Phil.  So long as they don’t try to push religion down my throat it doesn’t worry me.   I was christened and went to church and Sunday School til I was about 7, I was married in a church and had my two kids christened as it was ‘the thing to do’ but since then I only go into a church to attend weddings and funerals.  Anyway, better not carry on with this subject, the thread may get pulled!  

• Like 5

Don't worry Lizzie I don't have religion.  That can be boring.  I have faith, which isn't boring, I'm constantly learning.  I'm not going to push it down your or anyone else's throat though and definitely not here on NS.

What I was reacting to (above) is folks who will constantly make digs at the Christian faith and then retreat behind the nearest bush to yell, you can't push religion here, to avoid dealing constructively with a response.

Raises me blood pressure it does and I can't afford that just now.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Same with us. Married in the village church for convenience of location, not for religious reasons. Our children weren't christened. Nearly all of the funerals I go to now are secular. The local vicar looks after 7 churches but we never see him. He's called the Reverend Phil but it's not me! I don't think C of E religion will be around these parts for much longer. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You put your finger on it Phil.   I was not trying to be snotty in the posts above, just responding to what I see as blanket putdowns that serve no useful purposes but to increase animosity.  Lord knows!  this site's seen it's fair share of that in recent days.  Problem as it seems to me is the general idea that it is not ok to discuss religion on this site.  Fine!  I don't like it, but I won't do it out of respect for others on the site who do not want it.  All I ask is the same respect.  Don't snipe at Christians and then hide behind the no religion to be talked about if they respond.  It ain't fair.    :(

Re. C of E.  I'm afraid the local churches are victims of a general climate of disbelief at the top.  Folks at the local level leave. After all why stay in an organization that isn't even sure of what it does believe.   Fewer go into the ministry because they don't know what they really believe.  locals become even more fed up because they have the situation you describe.  The churches close or become mosques.

I would defy most of today's clergy to have a serious debate on apologetics (the art of Biblical defense) because they couldn't do it.  the average Jehovah's witness could tie 'em in knots.   (i am not a JW btw)  If I had to identify as a denominational member I'm a Baptist.  First and foremost I'm a believer and I do know what I believe inluding the why and the Who.

Sorry for the long post but this deserved addressing.

I'm also truly sorry for the way you have been turned off over the years by the behaviour of some who claim Christianity, but deny it by their actions.  Please don't judge the  founder by some who claim to be His disciples.  Judas claimed to be a believer.  He had the others fooled and in the end he betrayed the King of Kings for a few bobs worth of change.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3
  • 4 months later...

Here's a picture I found on Pinterest. The Empire café. I used to buy the 3d blockbuster cake with a cup of tea. Total cost a tanner in 1967ish. Another great café was the Elbow, at the top of Huntingdon Street.

hA8oZUlODAYeCwtd0VB8iZTE0wCwQd6Bq_nX4qCt [Picture credit: Pinterest]

I loved the place, they did 'proper' dinners, not just chips with everything and at reasonable prices. The nearest equivalent today is Bobbers Mill café.