Empire, Windmill and other Cafes

Not been in Bobbers mill cafe since 1976. Was over the moon to hear they still did their famous sausage sarnies. Must call in next time I'm up in Nottingham, which hopefully will be Dec, unless somebody wants me first. B.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You put your finger on it Phil.   I was not trying to be snotty in the posts above, just responding to what I see as blanket putdowns that serve no useful purposes but to increase animosity.  Lord kno

Each to their own Phil.  So long as they don’t try to push religion down my throat it doesn’t worry me.   I was christened and went to church and Sunday School til I was about 7, I was married in a ch

Don't worry Lizzie I don't have religion.  That can be boring.  I have faith, which isn't boring, I'm constantly learning.  I'm not going to push it down your or anyone else's throat though and defini

Always had corned beef and chips, with lashings of brown sauce at the Bobbers Mill Cafe, when I worked on Mr Softee's. 1968. 

Set me up nicely for Bestwood, Bestwood Pk, and Edwards Ln Estate. 

We used to get the 28 to Trinity Square and walk round to the Empire Cafe for a spot of tiffin..  I Loved the place too.

Armitages had their fingers in a few pies that were nothing to do with pet foods such as the Empire cafe. Their headquarters used to be up an alley, off High Street, next to where Boots used to be. The office was run by an old astute grey haired man (much like I am today!) called Mr. Hathaway. They were clients of my old accountancy firm.

My Grandma took me a few times,,i still recall that step down as you entered,,same as you Col,,,Grandma lived on leybourne,,so it was 28 bus to Trinity square,, 

• Like 1

I remember Armitages taking over the firm of 'Good Boy', chocolate drops for dogs, at Leicester. I was sent over there to verify the stocktake and to do so I had to climb a tall steel ladder and peer into a vat of molten chocolate. It all seemed to be there so I ticked it off but I hadn't really got a clue how much there really was. There were many exciting things to do in accountancy other than playing with figures!

I remember Armitages as suppliers of bird food - budgies, canaries, parrots etc. My dad had a parrot and he fed it on a wide assortment of seeds. These seeds are now sold, apparently in vast quantities, for human consumption.

Yes, it's called muesli !

Called in there around 7:30 every morning when I worked in Weekday Cross. I can honestly say they made the absolute worst tea in the city!