What did you wear then, that you would not be seen dead in today?

I think I still have trunks from that era! still got my dad's overcoat and he died in 1973, re brands hatch joke, mid 1990,s was doing up a 1960's Triumph T110 and went to a triumph owners club meet at a pub in radford looking for spares, some immac bikes in car park but during the evening the chairman/president/whatever announced that on such and such a date there was a club run to Matlock, this was greeted with sharp intakes of breath and various comments "I don't know about that" "bit risky" etc, said announcer quickly countered "oh it's ok I,ve arranged for a lorry to follow us"! And to keep in with dodgy clothing theme, there were the living in the past pudding basin helmets and barbour/belstaff suits a plenty there

How about imitation plastic m/c jackets.

A friend had a row over his with another friends' parents. He had painted a silver eagle on the back using some oil based zinc paint (galvafroid, I think) and sat down on their settee which had rexine covered back cushions. We think that the paint hadn't dried properly because when he got up, a silhouette of the eagle could be seen on the rexine, and no matter how hard they tried, they could never clean it off completely.

I think I still have trunks from that era! still got my dad's overcoat and he died in 1973, re brands hatch joke, mid 1990,s was doing up a 1960's Triumph T110

Going off-topic slightly, my next to last bike was also a 110. There used to be a cover on a magneto (i think it was) which would keep falling off. This meant that my right leg was always covered in oil. I replaced this cap several times,,,, but no matter how tight I connected it - it still came off. In the end, whilst on a trip to Skeggy, I ended up replacing it with a small baked bean tin, intending to get another cap when at home,,,,,, but the bean tin never fell off !

baz

• 7 years later...

I had the,then ingenious idea that doc martens should be sprayed,herring bone tweed suits were a must,drainpipe jeans with zips all the way up the back..standard,hair..blue and blonnndee!

The only commercial item I fell for was a BSA Goldie tank badge made into a belt buckle.with those stupid sunglasses that resembled welding goggles.

• 1 year later...

A woman's fur jacket in my hippie days, along with purple flared cords and Paisley inserts, and red bandana. Mid 60's.

White socks with sandals, mid 80's gives me most nightmares though . Only on one Greek holiday though, and I still can't bear to see the photos.

Really thought about this one..........and have come to the conclusion if i wore what i did in the 60s 70s and 80s...........there wouldnt be much of a difference to what i wear today....3 piece.........Suit collar and Tie.....thru all the decades......and when i got/get casual........Jeans and a nice shirt,..........love shoes.....back in the day it was ''Cuban Heels''......and before that ''Winkle Pickers''......would'nt wear them today.....but love me ''Gucci's''.......from Charity shop.......could'nt afford them from proper shop...........

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Clothes have changed so much over the years I think it's known as fashion, my self I love to see men in suits or even shirts and a tie, when we go out Saturday night to HMW club I don't think any men their are wearing a shirt and tie, now days it seems to be casual dress no matter were you go. I think in the 40s (no i'm to young) only seen fashion in films but women used to have shoulder pads in there dress's and the dress's would just flow as they walked they never seemed to have a hair out of place and makeup was done to perfection. Having said that 60s fashion was great but its gone down hill since then for men and women. (this is only my opinion)

• Like 2

You reminded me Braddy.  I did once own a VERY loud sports jacket.  Bought it in Canada early 70s.  I did wear it quite a bit back then as a lot of guys were wearing them.  It's long gone now, but I wouldn't wear it today even if I still had it.  ;)