Are you a Lurker Reading this?

Hi!

In an idle moment I put my name into Google and was transported to Berridge Road in 1967. Places I have lived in or around Nottingham, from 1967 to 1980, include, Clifton Teacher Training College, Westdale Lane in Mapperley, Alberta Terrace in Sherwood Rise, Holden Crescent and Highfield Road in Nuthall, Trough Road in Watnall and two locations in Eastwood; married at Greasley Church. Then in a moment of madness I went into exile in Gloucestershire. I believe in Brian Clough, the giraffe in Wollaton Hall and a duck called Ehupmi. Sometimes I return, as you may see here, an album on Flickr

Nottingham and around ...

as I still have connections.

Nostalgia may not be what it was, but it's interesting as they do things differently there ...

Regards, Barry

• Like 1
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can see ya, even logged in invisible? I CAN STILL SEEYA! What's Up Post summat here? Look daahn the bottom right... Theres a button (No, not this one, it Dun't Wok!) Furver dahn... See_it?

Nope, I'm not a lurker - just a retired Nottinghamian now living in Raunds, Northants. I joined the forum because in lurking (!) I noticed the post by Tom Barber and felt I ought to contribute somet

Happy Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all !

If you're now in Gloucestershire, you're living in true Sparrow country. Tis our place of origin.  My great grandfather was born in Northleach and his forebears hail from various parts of the county.  Somehow, he ended up in Nottingham before emigrating to Canada in 1894.  We get everywhere, us Sparrows! 

8 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

1894.  We get everywhere, us Sparrows

Including on the roof outside my bloody bedroom window. ;)

I well remember Northleach. There used to be an excellent Little Chef at the crossroads at the bottom of the dip on the Old Fosse. That used to be our breakfast stop on many occasions when we went with the children to Cornwall. I too have Gloucestershire connections on my mother's side of the family. The Malpasses came from Cam. There are still some there to this day. Its one of the few places when tracing my ancestors that I have not yet visited. I think the advent of the railway brought them to Nottingham.

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I well remember Northleach. There used to be an excellent Little Chef at the crossroads at the bottom of the dip on the Old Fosse. That used to be our breakfast stop on many occasions when we went with the children to Cornwall. I too have Gloucestershire connections on my mother's side of the family. The Malpasses came from Cam. There are still some there to this day. Its one of the few places when tracing my ancestors that I have not yet visited. I think the advent of the railway brought them to Nottingham.

Yes, used to stop at that Little Chef. I stayed with a Malpass family, who lived at the closed Old Castle Inn in King's Stanley, not far from Cam. when I first moved down. Hurrah for sparrows. There used to be more of them.

B.

Ah, Northleach. We were staying in Glos one November night, woke up to fog and drove around. Got to Northleach, got out the car and I took a picture of the church and gravestones in the fog.  (St. Peter and St Paul, I think) This was in the days of old cameras and developing.  Didn't see the pic till way later, liked what I saw and had it enlarged and professionally framed. When the county fair rolled round the next year, I entered the picture  in there, and it won me Best of Show and a blue ribbon. Thanks Northleach!

• Like 2

Great grandfather William Sparrow was born in the workhouse in Northleach in 1850. He was illegitimate, which probably means my name isn't really Sparrow. He died, a wealthy man, in Canada. Sadly, there are no photos of him. His mother was Mary Ann Sparrow, born 1825. He was her only child. She never married. He named one of his daughters after her.

• Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...

I am Paul Dilks. My family  lived on Wigman Road at the top nearer to Strelley.

I went to Glaisdale School and then Bilborough six form.

I live in Shipley near Heanor. I have two daughters and am now retired .

I was a schoolmaster in Derby during my career.

At one time I was chairman of The Nottingham Male Voice Choir but it ceased in 2013.