We also drove past the Rose Grower took a couple of photos for old times sake. We still have my dads name board from over the front door. It used to be busy in the 70's but not so in recent years. Looks like it will housing like they have on the old L & M site.

Val

Hi Val,

I grew up on Bramcote Hills estate from it's beginning and remember the Rose Grower very well. At the bottom of our road (Bankfield Drive, at the junction with Sandringham Drive) was a patch of wasteground which had been left for when the surrounding houses were built. It was where we kids played and, most memorably, was the site of our local bonfire on November 5th every year.

The land was bought by Hardy Hansons and, despite local opposition (see here), the pub was eventually built. I can't remember which year it opened but it must have been around 1970(?). Bill was the landlord and I was an early frequenter (even though not quite of an age to do so legally) and there I learnt to play darts and fruit machines! It was also there that I aquired a taste for good real ale although in those days electric half-pint dispensing pumps, and not handpumps, were standard.

I've long since moved away but it's sad to hear of The Rose Grower's demise. I guess the local opposition got their way in the end, albeit 40 years on. If you have any photos that you can post I'd like to see them - even those with the boards up.

Thanks,

SR

Hi Sussexred

Managed to find a couple of photos, one shows the Rose Grower this year, the other with my mum & dad just before they retired with my 2 sons ( Ian & Craig) in 1978. I am very surprised my dad served underage drinkers as he was a stickler about that. You must have been very well behaved!

The pub opened in December 1971, when my dad moved in from the Cocked Hat ( both his old pubs now gone!!) I worked at the Rose Grower from '72 till early 1980.

It was never the same after they left and I moved down the road to the Priory.

Val

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh34/va...pg?t=1218479810

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh34/va...pg?t=1218480931

Hi

Can you remember how close to the Cocked Hat. There was a family called Colemans lived up the close, Did know Mick and David Alcock? they were twins. Do you know what year it would be. I lived there from 1957 till I got married in 1968.

val

when i was at uni in manchester 69/72 i met twins ( one was brian ) as i lived in nottingham we became friends and they called home next to the cocked hat...what is interesting i spent my teenage years living in bramcote and knew the rose grower......

Hi Sussexred

Managed to find a couple of photos, one shows the Rose Grower this year, the other with my mum & dad just before they retired with my 2 sons ( Ian & Craig) in 1978. I am very surprised my dad served underage drinkers as he was a stickler about that. You must have been very well behaved!

The pub opened in December 1971, when my dad moved in from the Cocked Hat ( both his old pubs now gone!!) I worked at the Rose Grower from '72 till early 1980.

Val

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh34/va...pg?t=1218479810

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh34/va...pg?t=1218480931

Val, nice pic of your mum and dad! It brought back some nice memories, one of which was that it was there that I had my first taste of wine, Lutomer Riesling it was, boy did I feel sophisticated!

Anyone remember L & M supplies opposite, selling hifi kit at what was the old Ice King supermarket, opened by the only person who had the credentials to do so, tv's Jason King?

Hi Sussexred

Val

Hi Val,

Thanks for the photos. Of course we were well behaved!

Here is further confirmation on closure from another site:

Rose Grower on Beerintheevening

It would seem that not all landlords were as good as your Mum and Dad. I wonder how many others there were in between.

Following all the local opposition to the pub being built in the 60's, I emailed the current chair of the Bramcote Hills Community Association to see if they are opposing the change of use and want to save a valuable local resource. There has as yet been no reply . . .

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't been able to find out any more about the future of the Rose Grower apart from these links which indicates it went for auction by Savills in May. It's no longer advertised on the Savills site.

http://www.egpropertylink.com/Assets/GetAs...x?ItemID=857844

http://microsite.businesslinksolutions.co....vertID=10668018

hiya sussex

my wife and i have been going in the Grower more or less since it opened its doors many years ago, and it was a sad day when it shut a couple of months ago, but on the last night we gave it a cracking send off.....lol, the news to date is that the guy who brought it was going to turn it into a rest/nurseing home, but i'm told that its been refused even before it got to the local planning office, i've just past it and the sold board has now gone (it was there this morning ) so who knows what's to become of the ole place, if i find any more out i'll post it on here.

Gawd when i think back to the times in the early days when you had to be there by 7.0pm or you didnt get a seat in the bar,and darts nights it was always rammed, we used to turn up on our motorcycles Me, Malc, and Brian grab a bar stool and sit and play the bandit when it was a tanner a go, yes it was a sad day when it shut have to walk up the top house now its the only one thats anything like a pub around here.

anyway i'll keep you informed when i find out whats happening to the place.

Rest/nursing home declined...possibly an Asian day centre accepted!

But will they, in turn, accept non-Asian members...erm?

Sounds about 'par for the course' in 2008 Micky Mouse England...

Mosque anyone?

Cheers

Robt P.

hiya rob237

oh my word a asian day centre at the end of me road gawd forbid, mosque, now then that would be funny early morning mad mullas swinging from a green dome with a half cresent on it, green taxi's parked all over, bless and they didnt want a pub here in the first place i know which i'd prefer, just somewhere i can prop me elbow after a hard day grafting (not behind a taxi steering wheel ..lol ) and have a pint of bitter.

baldrick. cheers, hic hic

hiya bip

yes that would be the White Lion public house and restaurant(note restaurant), just where have the pubs gone when all the working bloke wants is to pop in for a pint and a cob, i dont want to stand at the side of someone whos sitting having a meal, gawd give me a bar anytime. !cheers!.

Baldrick...........i have a cunning plan sir. !cheers!

at the end of me road

Hi baldrick,

Thanks for the info and keeping us up to date. From your posts I think I must have been drinking with you (and Malc & Brian) in the early days of the Rose Grower. Where did you come from on your bikes? I used the pub from it's opening (I was 17) and I too played darts and the fruit machine for tanners. I lived in Bankfield Drive when the pub was planned but had moved to Arundel Drive by the time it opened. I guess you are in Bankfield or Sandringham if it's at the end of your road?

Chrres,

SR

Rest/nursing home declined...possibly an Asian day centre accepted!

But will they, in turn, accept non-Asian members...erm?

Sounds about 'par for the course' in 2008 Micky Mouse England...

Mosque anyone?

Cheers

Robt P.

Come on then chaps and chapesses(or would that not be PC also),you still have DEMOCRACY and the vote. For goodness sake WAKE UP all of you and do something before Britain is completely over- taken,and the right to change things peacefully is lost.

Hiya SR

Well SR malc came from Broxtowe, brian who eventually ended up being my brother-in-law came from Strelley, and at that time i lived above my dads chip shop on Flamstead road Strelley, a few years later marrying my wife colleen and moving to L/Eaton then to bramcotehills, sandringham drive, from where we shipped ourselfs off to Australia for a year then came back and purchased a house on Bankfield drive, by the sound of things SR you maybe right about having a pint or two with the lads at that time as we were always in there, if you can remember Brian had a BSA Rocket 3 Malc had a Yamaha RD250 and i had a Suzuki Ram Air 250 we all did abit of production racing on them at that time, we all played in the darts team which at that time was run by Dave Pinney, i remember well my 18th birthday in there hahahah was well bladdered, my 21st was held there as well with same outcome....lol. This might help you remember Brian was a Joiner as was Malc i was and still am a Catering Engineer who for my sins opened my own buisness and am still doing it 37 yrs later, let me know if the penny is starting to drop yet.

Sold sign has now gone from the grower,but no other news as yet.

Baldrick....grand plan.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Baldrick

Been on holiday so catching up with the posts. I can remember you and your mates, what about the time you were on Rum and Blacks, Malc could hardly stand up and you wanted some rope to tie him on the back of your bike!!! I ended up taking him home in my car, had to stop a few times on the way, when we got to his house you opened the passenger door and he fell out, I made a hasty retreat when his dad came out the front door.

I was talking to John Beaumont (ex landlord) a few weeks ago and he thought one of the Real Ale Breweries had bought it, now that sounds like a good idea!!!

Val