A5h4w said.. in another topic

BTW - what differences did going to mixed education make?

did the gals take wood/metal work? - did the lads take cooking? - and had the cane been abolished by then ?..... :unsure:

AL.

In first year I was in class 1B (1a being the the top class for that year)

My first year with girls was my second year class 2M1. (2M2 being a lower class of that year)

What were the class numbers when you were at TB?

Strange them splitting different achievment levels?

Girls did not really make a lot of a difference.

Those werent the days of Girls in the woodwork room, and boys in pinnies <_<

In those days we would not be seen dead baking cakes. :o

The boys would still get the cane, th girls got the slipper. :blink:

Guest a5h4w

There were streams in our day - 1a up to 4a, and 1b to 4b, and there may have been a C stream - but not sure!

I was in the A stream throughout my term, but was no academic by a far chalk, in fact if it wasn't for metalwork, art, and tech drawing I'd have probably been demoted a.s.a.p !

re the mixed classes .. the girls went off to cookery, and the lads went off to wood/metalwork is that what you're saying?

seems strange why they decided to mix after all those years! was it a government thing, or was it a decline in pupil attendance numbers at the school, whereby they lumped you all together?

I bet Webby got agitated, unable to beat the living daylights out of only half the class - did he leave soon after the merge? banghead.gif

AL.

Yes Girls did Cooking whilst we did Crafts Wood or Metal.

I dont know what the reason for merging was apart from falling pupil figures.

I know we still used both schools for classes. I never felt comfotable sitting in the girls school!

I know that the last remaing pupils were moved to Roland Green, across the Trent.

Must be when there was mass demolition of the old Meadows in the early 70's! :(

Webbys Frustration was only matched by Chambers Delight :D

• Upvote 1
  • 11 years later...

The older lads who were still in separate streams used to grin like Cheshire cats when they went in the girls block, it used to be forbidden territory to them so very novel. Us mixed streamers couldn't care less as we were used to girls..