Good evening, Ive just joined. I lived in two houses at Aspley. 143 Amesbury circus and 14 Rosslyn drive, I went to the william crane school.

We went to Amesbury circus when our house at radford (Dennison St.) was demolished as part of the slum clearance program. I guess this would have been 1958 or 59. We moved to Rosslyn drive in 1962. I would like to know what happened to some of the people I knew then.

People from Amesbury circus judith Williams who lived next door but one to us, the Knights who were next door. I can well remember playing on the park in the middle of the circus, in fact we had to walk to the park from school to play football there!

From Rosslyn drve there was John Basford who I still see periodically, Alan Pritchard from Fullwood crescent also from Fullwood crescent Alan Watson, he was older than us but I met him when I went to work at Boots.

A few other names from school are Andy Wolfe,Malcolm Pigeon,Martin Andrews, Chirs Goodhall. Some of my teachers from when I was at Crane are: Mr Mayfield (maths),Mr Johnson (english), Mr Jackson (History) Mr Banham (music+maths) Mr Dryden(maths) and Mr Mitcham (woodwork)

Looking forward to your replies (if any) John

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi John You were there in 1958 'cos your parents are on the electoral register list I have. You moved into my aunties house, she was at 143 until 1954 when she remarried. I was at #42 next door but o

Here is an aerial photo of Amesbury Circus and the surrounding streets, taken either late 50's or early 60's. The road in the foreground is Eltham Drive and the little road right at the bottom is Elth

Beautifully planned the above estate. Memory: I've just come out of the back kitchen door, gone down the entry, crossed over to the other side of Amesbury Circus, past Sandra Lyons house, on up to

Hi John...

I lived at 223, Amesbury Circus (in the cul-de-sac) from 1942 until 1967...

Reckon that makes me years older than thee :rolleyes:

Vaguely remember the Knight's...

Our member Katyjay was also from Amesbury Circus.

Much has already been posted on this in earlier threads, specifically under William Crane.

Cheers

Robt P.

Hi John

You were there in 1958 'cos your parents are on the electoral register list I have. You moved into my aunties house, she was at 143 until 1954 when she remarried. I was at #42 next door but one to the old nursery.

Kath

• Upvote 1

Hi John and welcome to a great forum

Katyjay lived on Amesbury Circus so you will probably hear from her. I moved to The Cocked Hat on Broxtowe Lane in 1957 and had a few friends on Amesbury namely the Joynes and Marshall's, also knew Tony Cussons still in touch with him,Tony Foster ( sadly died this year)and Alan Watson were all mates of my husband. What years were you at Crane School?

Val

I went to the william crane school.

A few other names from school are Andy Wolfe,Malcolm Pigeon,Martin Andrews, Chirs Goodhall. Some of my teachers from when I was at Crane are: Mr Mayfield (maths),Mr Johnson (english), Mr Jackson (History) Mr Banham (music+maths) Mr Dryden(maths) and Mr Mitcham (woodwork)

Looking forward to your replies (if any) John

Hi John

If you know Malcolm then you must be around 60 this year. It is Malcolm Pridgeon by the way - my step brother - small world eh!

I went to W Crane 1963 - 67. I remember Mr Dryden, who was our form master from '65 to '67. Other names I remember are Mr Potter, (History), Mr Henson - or Henderson (the Head) Mr Lamb (Music) (next door to Dryden's as we used to call him) Mr Jackson (English and Deputy Head)

Hi, the headmaster was actually called Mr Henton, I never knew malcolm's name was Pridgeon! Can you remember Keith Brooks, Micheal Leet. The deputy head was called Mr Connell when I was there, I think his wife owned a hairdressers on Aspley lane. Dis you go on the canal trip to Newark? I can't recall Mr Potter.

I was 59 on August 3rd.

As you say, 'small world'

Cheers, John.

Wonder if anyone here would know of my mother-in-law's family, the Prices from Minver Crescent, Aspley? Margaret emigrated to Canada around 1955. She had an elder sister, Joan, and brothers Bernard and Alan?

Margaret is in ill-health of late. I'm sure it would give her a lift if anyone could remember her family back home.

Cheers.

I was at Crane school with a Valerie Price, she left Xmas '61 the same as me. She lived across the road from the senior girl's school, in a cul-de-sac. The #1 bus stop was at the cul-de-sac.

Hello katjay, I saw on one of your other posts that you were talking about the shops at the lower end of bells lane. I can't remember who ran the grocers shop, i remember Pinkets the newsagaents though. I used to go on errands there on my triang scooter. Can you remember a girl called Denise mc phearson? she lived on eltham drive. It was a nice place to live in those days wasn't it.

Was the butchers shop Frank Taylors?

Cheers, Johnl

Hi John

I've just amended you last 2 posts to make them 1 - hope that is OK (the Boss has a thing about constant re-quoting :happy: )

Anyway - it makes it more readable. ( Cor - it looks like old Messr's Connell and Jackson really taught me to spell etc. :tongue: ).

Unfortunately, I'm a little younger than you and Malcolm and I was only in W Crane for a year before you left.

If I remember correctly, it was your year that constructed the metal work plaque that denoted the W Crane moto and it was installed on the side of the Hall/ Gym facing the Head's study. Didn't the Prefects have their own study/mess room directly above the Head's room?

Hello Frank, I'm still getting used to this! Yes it was my year that made the plaque. The metal work teacher at the time was a Mr Childs. I wonder what became of that plaque when the old acadamy was demolished. I made a set of four tiles based on cave paintings of hunting scenes, they were on the wall outside Henton's office.

Yes the prefects did have their own room it was in the arch above the heads office. I don't think they did a great deal of studying there though!

Cheers, Johnl.

Hi John

It was Joe Taylor's butcher shop, his son Malc did the deliveries for him in a little van. Joe was a small thin man with Brylcreem'd hair.

Denise McPhearson rings a bell, I can't think why. She wasn't in my class but sound very familiar. What year was she born do you know? I didn't know many folks on Eltham, which end was she, the woods end?

You are right about the estate being a lovely place to live. Every now and again someone new would move in that was a bit 'different' but generally everyone got along. It's funny, thinking back, my parents called a lot of the neighbours by Mr and Mrs so and so, hardly ever first names, and they all lived their all their married lives.

I was trying to explain about 'Neighbours' to SWMBO and you hit it on the head Katy. We knew all the neighbours by their surnames , i.e. Mr and Mrs Mason, not, that snotty nosed git who lives on the corner , as it is nowadays!!!!!

I also was able to name everyone of them from the Police station at Carlton Square all the way up Cavendish road to Worth Street (Some of them down Worth Street) and carrying on up our road for about 6 more houses, all in all I could put surnames to nearly 40 families!!

Hello Katjay

thinking about shops, what about Buxtons mobile shops? They were old single-decker buses painted red with the windows covered in. There were several of them based at bulwell I think and they would tour the estates. Also another job that has gone was the bakers van, the guy used to knock on the door with a large wicker basket full of bread and cakes.

Have a nice day, Johnl.

Hello katjay, I saw on one of your other posts that you were talking about the shops at the lower end of bells lane....

Pinkett: Newsagents

Taylor: Butcher

Then Walbrook Close...

Harrison: Greengrocer

Wragg: Chippie

Cheers

Robt P.

John

If you go on the'All other Nottingham schools discussion' thread, then click on 'Peverill or Crane', starting on page 2, I prattled on about the estate, shops, travelling salesmen etc. It may ring a few bells for you.

Kath

• 4 months later...

Hello. I’ve just joined too and I thought this would be a good place to post a first message.

Born in Nottingham in 1951. Went to the nursery at William Crane and then the infants.

We lived for a time with my Dad’s parents on Amesbury Circus.

No. 132 kind of rings a bell and doing a google map plan showed it right for the park and the run down to the shops on Bell’s Lane.

My younger sister seems better at recalling things than I do, but she’s not the forum type though this site might change that.

I did about two years in the juniors before we moved to the then new Bestwood Park Estate. My dad worked in the army pay office at Bestwood Lodge.

I moved to Robin Hood Junior School before going up to Padstow Secondary Modern.

Left school in, I think, 1967.

Hi RWK

Another Amesbury Circus-ite eh? Good. You were a bit further round than me at #42, so I didn't know a lot of folks in that section. You tended to know your 'section', ie the bit you could see looking both ways. With the curvature of the road, it limited how much you could see. But I do know you backed onto the field, so always something to see out the bedroom window, even if it was the mower! Looking at my 1958 electoral list, I see a Pollie Knibb at 132. I reckon you were 8 doors from the 'big park', and Tilbury Rise, your shortcut to the shops.

Kath