I vaguely remember my mother - and grandmother for that matter speaking of Teddy Taylor and Hector Salt. So they must have got round Minver Cresc as well

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi John You were there in 1958 'cos your parents are on the electoral register list I have. You moved into my aunties house, she was at 143 until 1954 when she remarried. I was at #42 next door but o

Here is an aerial photo of Amesbury Circus and the surrounding streets, taken either late 50's or early 60's. The road in the foreground is Eltham Drive and the little road right at the bottom is Elth

Beautifully planned the above estate. Memory: I've just come out of the back kitchen door, gone down the entry, crossed over to the other side of Amesbury Circus, past Sandra Lyons house, on up to

Chulla, I never knew that about Tom Bridges, wherever did I get the idea he lived on Broxtowe Lane? I always thought he had a house built on that bit of land between the 2 sets of shops. The mind plays funny tricks. Didn't know about his truck being American either. I did get it right though about it being absolutely laden, if he hadn't got it, you didn't need it!

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Katyjay, Thinking about it, Tom Bridges might have gone and lived on Broxtowe Lane after he retired. When he had his vegetable round he lived in a council house in the cul-de-sac on Ainsdale Crescent. I knew his son (but cannot remember his name). He married a girl who's father was the owner of the Beeston and Stapleford (B&S) driving school. Tom's son and his wife lived in a house/bungalow built on Jackson's field.

Tom Bridges lived in the cul-de-sac on Ainsdale Crescent, not Broxtowe Lane. His lorry was a war-surplus American-make (Chevrolet, I think) supplied by Hooleys.

Chevrolet seems to have been their big thing in the 1940s.

hooley.jpg

You might have mentioned how much I look like Errol Flynn in his prime!

Tom's son married a girl named Stocks - Stock's B&S Driving School.

Paulus. Didn't like the look of that long ellipsis after your message!

• Upvote 1
  • 5 years later...