• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For years people listened to the radio and heard Joe Loss, Jimmy Young, Lita Roza, Frank Sinatra and other 'nice' music being played. Then, around 1955, they heard Elvis. His music was sensational, mu

Thats exactly the way I remember him, was still buying the golden records in the early sixties but after his army years became less loyal and moved on.

No disrespect there Jackson , but the title of this thread may slap the mockers on that last bit of statement .....LOL

I was asking two questions,not any intention of 'knocking' probably the greatest entertainer in the 20th century.

My eldest brother was a 'Teddy boy'and as a kid Elvis, Eddie Cochoran,Gene Vincent ,et all ,were my intro' to popular music. Without those guys,I wouldn't have got a 'Dansette' record player one Christmas,and harassed my mum to buy me a '45' every time she or we,went shopping.

Stu has got it spot on,thank's mate.

• 4 weeks later...

For years people listened to the radio and heard Joe Loss, Jimmy Young, Lita Roza, Frank Sinatra and other 'nice' music being played. Then, around 1955, they heard Elvis. His music was sensational, music that nobody had heard before. When people first started to see him perform on stage they went crazy. He was good looking with a great voice and he was very humble. He sang rock & roll or rockabilly and you couldn't keep still as you listened to him. He also recorded some great ballads. Everyone knows that he shouldn't have made all those rubbish films but that was down to his manager. I was 11 years old when it all started and it was a fantastic period in my life. Elvis then Little Richard, Fats Domino, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bill Haley and others changed peoples lives forever. It's difficult to find the words to discribe this period but if you were around at the time then you'll understand the phenomenon of Elvis and Rock & Roll.

• Upvote 1

And as you can see the above picture shows him just arriving to clock on for the evening shift.

His face has been munged to prevent mass hysteria!

For years people listened to the radio and heard Joe Loss, Jimmy Young, Lita Roza, Frank Sinatra and other 'nice' music being played. Then, around 1955, they heard Elvis. His music was sensational, music that nobody had heard before. When people first started to see him perform on stage they went crazy. He was good looking with a great voice and he was very humble. He sang rock & roll or rockabilly and you couldn't keep still as you listened to him. He also recorded some great ballads. Everyone knows that he shouldn't have made all those rubbish films but that was down to his manager. I was 11 years old when it all started and it was a fantastic period in my life. Elvis then Little Richard, Fats Domino, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bill Haley and others changed peoples lives forever. It's difficult to find the words to discribe this period but if you were around at the time then you'll understand the phenomenon of Elvis and Rock & Roll.

Michael, in a few well chosen words you have echoed the thoughts of many. He might have left the building but the Legend lives on. Remember seeing Jailhouse Rock at the pictures at the old Church Hall in Radcliffe in 57/58.

Think timescale a bit out, Little Richard and Carl Perkins both had "hit parade" hits before Elvis but know what you mean, no one took off like him, as regards rock and roll at the cinema recall seeing Rock Around The Clock at The Berridge Cinema (now a mosque)! before Elvis was known

Never understood the 'Rock around the clock' thing. Me and my mates thought he was an old man with a stupid kiss curl.Now Tommy Steele,Elvis, and the rest...they were our age group.

Hi Michael Booth, welcome to 'Nottstalgia'. A beautiful little cameo you've written above of the music scene and how it thankfully changed during the 1950's.

At the moment I'm writing an article on the 1960's and coming across your posting on 'Nottstalgia' has certainly helped as a pre-runner to this decade.

I'm both pleased and proud to say that I have awarded you your first tick; Congratulations.

Thanks for your nice comments, Trevor S and jackson. It was nice to get my first tick, jackson and I wish you all the best with your article on the 60's. Ashley, you say my timescale was a bit out when I put my list of R&R singers in my post but I never intended them to be in any particular order. Elvis, like Little Richard, Carl Perkins and others were recording and performing long before they hit the UK. Elvis released 'I Forgot To Remember To Forget' in August 1955, Little Richard released 'Tutti Frutti' in November 1955 and Carl Perkins released 'Blue Suede Shoes' in January 1956. Fats Domino had been recording for years before having his massive UK hit 'Blueberry Hill' but, like you say Ashley, it was Elvis (and Bill Haley) that created the initial hysteria.

I'm with poohbear on this one; I could never understand Bill Haley's popularity - not being ageist here but he did look rather old to be singing the songs that he did. 'Rock Around the Clock' wasn't that good, 'Get Out Ta That Kitchen And Rattle Those Pots and Pans' was much better.

Wasn't there a film with 'Rock Around the Clock'? which would have ensured the record's success.

'Rock Around The Clock' was a 1956 film featuring Bill Haley. It also included one of my favourite groups 'The Platters'. I went to see Bill Haley in Nottingham with a group of friends but to be honest I was never a big fan. I remember a guy called Lennie who got Bill Haleys autograph on a £10 but then made the mistake of buying some cigarettes with it. Sadly, Lennie died at an early age.

I think Bill Haley's slicked-down hair and suit and tie, made him look older, when in fact he was only 9 yrs older than Tommy Steele and 10 years older than Elvis.