• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For years people listened to the radio and heard Joe Loss, Jimmy Young, Lita Roza, Frank Sinatra and other 'nice' music being played. Then, around 1955, they heard Elvis. His music was sensational, mu

Thats exactly the way I remember him, was still buying the golden records in the early sixties but after his army years became less loyal and moved on.

A £10 note in the 1950's! had he just done a bank job?

Wikipedia...

The first ten pound note was issued in 1759, when the Seven Years' War caused severe gold shortages. Following the withdrawal of the denomination after the Second World War, it was not reintroduced until the Series C design on 21 February 1964 produced the brown ten pound note.

looking back at original posting Michael Booth never said what year lennie had the £10 note, My query (jokingly) was £10 a lot of money if as I thought in 1950's, not whether notes such then available

lynmee, I know that 'Blackboard Jungle' was released in 1955 but 'Rock Around The Clock' was just the background music whereas' the film 'Rock Around The Clock' featuring Bill Haley and the Platters etc, released in 1956, was all about Bill Haley and the music. Ashley, I had to laugh at your 'bank job' comment. When we saw Bill Haley it was when he was on his way down, not in his prime. Regarding his 'kiss curl' you have to remember that everyone had to have a gimmick or be a little different and everyone remembers Bill Haley for his 'kiss curl'

Getting back to Elvis, I was on holiday in Wales with some friends and we were having a late breakfast. We'd had a good night so we had stayed in bed late. We were laughing and joking and celebrating my birthday when the news came on the radio that Elvis had died. We sat there in silence for what seemed an eternity, trying to understand what we had heard. As the announcer on the radio gave us reports on Elvis our tears flowed down our cheeks. We were all big Elvis fans but we remembered him for what he was in the beginning, not what he had become at the end. True Elvis fans would have willingly put a gun to the head of Colonel Tom Parker for what he had done to Elvis. Many people mock and make fun of Elvis but everyone who met him had only love and respect for him. The Beatles, Rolling Stones, world leaders and every other person of note said that Elvis was an inspiration to them. It's such a shame that the life of Elvis ended how it did.