Pop concerts at the Odeon cinema.

Can anyone remember a local band called 'Almost Grown'.

They used to play regular weekend nights in a pub on St James Street, who's name escapes me, in the late 60's.

They were pretty sensational, their music being sort of Cream/Hendrix orientated, the lead guitarist was something else.

One night, for some reason, they announced their retirement. We went to their farewell concert the week after, which was pretty sensational, it terminated with lots of Pete Townsend guitar and amp smashing, an unforgettable evening, never to be forgotten, does anyone else recall this.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

remember all that especially matlock bath, the troggs( lived in the caves ) and the pepper pot.was Such's real name Clive?

Sutches name was indeed Clive. I think his surname was Lynch. Would love to know how he's getting on. I recall hitch hiking back from London with him once. Gawd we sure walked a lot of those miles. LOL

Don't remember the band but the pub was probably the Imperial

It was indeed, I remember now, surely someone on here can recall this epic band.

When I left school I went to work at Butlins in Minehead as a kitchen skivvie, prior to bogging off to Uni.

Had a great time there and made many friends.

Once in the 70's, I went into the Imperial with my girlfriend and came across one of my old mates, one of the Minehead chefs, unbeleivable, he'd taken up a job working on the Vic centre, and had called in there for a pint. It's very strange bumping into someone you never thought you would ever see again, what were the chances of that happening, quite remote I suspect.

Sutches name was indeed Clive. I think his surname was Lynch. Would love to know how he's getting on. I recall hitch hiking back from London with him once. Gawd we sure walked a lot of those miles. LOL
what memories!! can't remember if he was a nottingham guy but can remember the hitch hiking!
  • 1 year later...

Hey the good old Odeon. I will have to just nip back to the late 50s for this one but Bill Hayley and the Comets was the first group I can remember that performed there.Could not get tickets but joined the vast crowd outside. For younger viewers that was at the start of the rock and roll era and we had just had the black and white film of the Blackboard Jungle which I saw at the Roxy in Daybrook. We were all jiving in the isles and the ushers had no chance of stopping us. See you later alligator.

I went to see The Blackboard Jungle at the Bonington in Arnold but the door staff wouldn`t let anybody in who looked as though they`d get up and jive in the aisles. Only 'mature' couples and families could get in. Swizz!

As for the Beatles at the Odeon. I saw them when they were ostensibly supporting the Big O but of course they were huge by the time the concert came on.

It was a great night that ended in tears.

At the beginning of the night many of us handed in autograph books and albums at the box office hoping for autographs. This was customary!

At the end of the show hundreds of us crowded round the back of the Odean shouting for them to show themselves.

You can imagine the screams when they all came out through a door on top of the fire escape and waved.

Then the bad thing happened.

John put a huge pile of books and albums onto the railing and then threw them down to us.

All the precious albums were torn to pieces by the crowd and many girls were distraught at losing their books, some of them with many autographs.

The fab four thought it was very funny and went back inside laughing, leaving scenes of mayhem below.

I`ve been a bit ambivalent about them since.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the memories of the Ballroom upstairs at Coop House.

Saw Russ Abbotts and the Black abbotts there Early 70's

Didn't The Beatles appear at the Odeon, around 1963?

Saw the Kinks at the co-op,remember getting smashed on rum & blackcurrant,urrrrh

Never saw Jimi, he played the Sherwood rooms as well. He really was something else wasn't he? Still listen to his stuff regularly.

Saw Hendrix at the Sherwood Rooms,had no money so sneeked in with a mate via the fire exit stairs

May have mentioned this elsewhere but I saw Chuck Berry at The Odeon, also on the bill were The Animals and maybe 2 or 3 other acts who'se names I forget (one did have a top twenty hit though). Also saw Herman's Hermits above the co-op (crap) Around 1967 there were a few good parties at the female nurses home in grounds of Mapperley Hospital, For various reasons, (say no more) I don't really recall alot of the following but at one such party a certain band came back after playing one of the boat clubs, various things went off that night, inc a girl took from that hospital to another, a police raid and the fire alarms! Picture the scene, nurses,"guests" and more importantly patients all led out onto the lawns outside in a downpour/thunderstorm, talk about see you on the dark side of the moon!

I think all the concerts I saw at the Odeon were in the early sixties. I remember being not too impressed by Ray Charles, but perhaps that was because a group made sure we saw them joining the audience just before his spell. I suppose this was to indicate they were far too discerning to be bothered with mundane supporting acts! Other concerts featured Count Basie; Sarah Vaughan & Oscar Peterson; Shirley Bassey & John Barry and Frank Sinatra Jnr. He wasn't up to much, but then I'm no fan of Frank Sinatra Snr so I expect I'm biased. Good Days!!!

YES PAT AND HIPPO

SUTCH REAL NAME WAS CLIVE LINCH. HE PLAYED DOWN THE WHITEHART REGULARLY ONE OF OLD ACES CRANSON PLAYED LEAD GUITAR AND ROBIN PLAYED DRUMS CRANSON RODE AND STILL OWNS AND RIDES A VINCENT WENT OUT WITH MY MATE CHRISTINE FOR QUITE A WHILE SO GOT TO KNOW THEM QUITE WELL CARNT REMEMBER THE NAME OF BASS PLAYER THOUGH,CRANSON IS STILL IN TOUCH WITH SUTCH WAS TALKING TO HIM AT WHITEHART REUNION ABOUT THE GROUP AND THINGS AND PLACES THEY USED TO PLAY AND HARRY LEE GETTING UP AND DOING HIS ELVIS SONGS WITH THEM. NAME OF THE GROUPS SLIPED MY MIND FOR THE MOMENT BUT HAD SOME FUN TRAVLING WITH THEM. ROBIN WAS A GOOD DRUMER AND STILL IN LONDON DOING SESSION WORK ROUND THE STUDIOS FOR SOME OF THE BIG BANDS. SUTCHES GIRLFRIEND WAS CALLED GLORIA AT THE TIME. THIS WAS 1966/67 .

BYE THE WAY THE BALLROOMS ABOVE THE CO-OP WAS THE ELIZABETHAN ROOMS WHENT THERE A LOT TO DINNER DANCES WITH DIFFERENT PLLACES I WORKED. AS WELL AS CONCERTS. LOVE TO FIND THE PHOTOES OF ME TAKEN THERE IN MICRO MINIS OR LONG FORMAL DRESSES. CHRIS MANN ANOTHER WHITEHART BIKER WAS ONE OF THE OFFICIAL PHOTOGRAPHERS THERE CHRIS SADLY DIED LATE LAST YEAR JUST BEFORE WE MANAGED TO FIND OUT WERE HE WAS LIVING.

BABS.

yea knew that was his name, also known as Avro, amazing now to think how he left that Vincent on the pavement at Valley Rd overnight, did however chain it to a tree!

YES ASH YOU ARE RIGHT IT WAS THE BASE NOT LEAD CRANSON PLAYED ALSO DID KNOW HIS REAL NAME. HE HAS THREE SONS ALL HAVE UNUSUAL NAMES I THINK THE YOUNGEST ONE IS CALLED BLAZE OR SOMTHING SIMILAR. HE DID HAVE HIS VINCENT NICKED ONCE FROM OUTSIDE HIS HOUSE BUT WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO GET IT BACK WITH NO REAL DAMAGE DONE.HAVE YOU BEEN ON ROCKERS REUNION AND SEEN THE PHOTO OF A VERY YOUNG CRANSON AND A GIRL ON HIS VINCENT PIT ON BY RASPY DRAGON.IF NOT GO ON AND HAVE A LOOK ASH SAME GOSE FOR ANYONE ELSE WHO IS INTERESTED IN THIS THREAD. AND YOUR WRIGHT ABOUT THE OLD WORK HORSE AMBULANCE AS NOT GREAT TO LOOK AT WAS IT AND A BIT CRAMPED WITH EIGHT OF YOU PLUS ALL THE GEAR IN IT GOING TO GIGS AND BACK YOU WERE ALWAYS GLAD TO GET OUT OF IT BUT WE HAD A LOT OF LAUGHS ALSO.

GLORIA WAS QUITE SMALL WITH LONG DARK HAIR HIPPO GIRL.BUT NOT AS SMALL AS ME SO WAS PROBLY ABOUT 5FT 2INCHS SHE DID NOT LIKE ME MUCH BECAUSE I WAS A FRIEND OF CHRISTINES AND SHE DID NOT LIKE HER AT ALL.BUT THERE WERE REASONS FOR THAT AND SHE THOUGHT I WAS LIKE HER BECAUSE SHE WAS MY MATE FROM SCOOL DAYS. BUT ONCE CHRISTINE WAS NOT AROUND SHE WAS AS NICE AS PIE TO ME WHEN SHE SAW ME DOWN THE WHITEHART.

CAN YOU REMEMBER WICH THREE SONGS HARRY LEE ALWAYS USED TO SING ASH. I CAN.

BABS

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Mothers Worry was Cransons group name

Harrys song was a bad Blue Suade Shoes

Do you remember what Dragons name was ? I think it was Dianne

There were three girls that used to line dance at the Sheds Dragon, Mary & ?

Hippo girl I would pick up Motorcycle news at the paper shop next to the Don & go read it in the back room I didnt realise it was Sutch that seemed to live there

A girl told me he couldnt feel any pain & used to stick pins in him lol

Sutch used to get around, he hung out with the Aces at the Toreador, and later he was a regular at the White Hart Lenton. He was an early hippie, spending summer 67 sleeping in the sandunes at Skegness.In the 60's and early 70's quite few bikers became hippies, or had an affinity with them.