Pop concerts at the Odeon cinema.

Nobody has said anything about the Scala picture house they would only play cartoons

Or the Savoy on Derby rd that had the horror movies Sat night & a big line of bikes outside

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Yes they did appear there, not sure if it was 1963 but I remember it was bitterly cold! We couldn't get tickets so like idiots we hung around outside. There were hundreds of people at the back of the Odeon. I can remember striking matches to feep my hands warm! Whilst I'm on....went to see The Graham Bond organisation at the boat club. They were incredible and had Ginger Baker on drums at the time. Poor old Graham commited suicide some years later. He threw himself under a tube train. Towards the end I think he suffered from delusions, at one point he declared himself to be the grand wizard of all England!

Cheers Johnl.

you sure it wasn't the Jay Cats? They supported Herman's Hermits at The Elizabethan Rooms top of big Co-Op, sad to say I went to see them! well more for the birds actually but even so please don't spread it around, lol. Might have been totally different band to Beatles one? think JayCats/Jaybirds sprang from original Alvin Lee band?

• 1 year later...

Sutches name was indeed Clive. I think his surname was Lynch. Would love to know how he's getting on. I recall hitch hiking back from London with him once. Gawd we sure walked a lot of those miles. LOL

Clive Lynch is a friend of mine we go back to the early / mid 60's when we both played in groups around the city's pubs in those days, I see him at Meadow Lane when the Pies are at home he sits in front of me. I should add he is now known as Carrington Brookes.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes they did appear there, not sure if it was 1963 but I remember it was bitterly cold! We couldn't get tickets so like idiots we hung around outside. There were hundreds of people at the back of the Odeon. I can remember striking matches to feep my hands warm! Whilst I'm on....went to see The Graham Bond organisation at the boat club. They were incredible and had Ginger Baker on drums at the time. Poor old Graham commited suicide some years later. He threw himself under a tube train. Towards the end I think he suffered from delusions, at one point he declared himself to be the grand wizard of all England!

Cheers Johnl.

John, I was milling around outside the Odeon, the night The Beatles played. Maybe we banged into each other. It was bedlam.

John, I was milling around outside the Odeon, the night The Beatles played. Maybe we banged into each other. It was bedlam.

I was in the 49 coffee bar drinking my one shilling froffy coffee out of a clear pyrex cup... :)