It Was Alright For Some.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry to bring this one to the fore after so long but nobody seems to have answered it.

Is this in what used to be Chalfont Drive Government Buildings?

If you look in the background it would appear to be so. Another example of prefabricated buildings that have far outlasted their sell by date.

A :D

• 1 year later...
  • 9 years later...

This is interesting. I knew nothing about the Nottingham war room until I found this thread. The cold war bunker in York is well worth a visit if you are in the area. It is maintained by English Heritage. Had there been a threat of nuclear attack those who had to man the bunker had to drop everything and report there. Had a nuclear attack taken place there would have been few survivors. Grim tales.

We forget about the Cold War and how much fear it caused in 50s and the 60s.I can remember going to County Hall about 1965 and there was a display there of what a nuclear bunker would be like.

I wonder what it would be like now if the Soviet Union had not gone bankrupt.

We sure as hell took it seriously. When our crews took off, we had every expectation that they wouldn't be coming back, and they knew this.

1965 was a radio liney at RAF Finningley on Vulcans. Whilst we were an OCU, our aircraft were part of Bomber Commands fleet of nuclear armed aircraft and always took part in exercises - whether just that an exercise or the real thing. We had half a dozen B2's, and when a Mick or Mickey Finn was called crews would race up from Waddington to man our aircraft. At which time the station would go into lock down, and the service police and regiment would be issued with ammuniton.

You are right about the fear during the cold war. I remember the Minister at Kingswood Methodist Church in Wollaton (Mr Kemp) gave a sermon that left me believing that the Russians were going to bomb us soon and we would all die. For what seemed ages after that I used to go to school every day (Portland Junior School) and worry that we would get bombed and I would not be home with my mum when it happened. Because of this strong and dreadful memory I now tackle any Vicar that I have heard giving a sermon about horror stories that will frighten children who are too young to understand what they are on about. Such people should have the professionalism to present their preaching in a format that is appropriate for their audience.

Quite right Shirley...............mind you i still scare the sh.. out of my Grand kids with tales of the 'Ten o'clock Hosses'...............lol.

• Upvote 1