Mid air collision.

It was earlier than 66 , as I'm sure I would have recollections of it!! My most vivid memories tend to start from 65 on wards!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is a film of the wreckage here.

Better late than never, I also witnessed this disaster, I was in the playgroud of Hogarth primary on Carlton Road at the time (the school is now a Hindu temple I believe). Anyway, I found this report

I believe you are on about the to training plains that collided over colwick in 1959 February I think. I went to Colwick School and lived on the vale. An engine landed right next to an end house next

Thanks for info littlebro, going slightly off topic here but anyone know locations of the photos in the basford and whitemoor crashes? as regards latter did hear of a crash site where whitemoor ave joins nuthall rd, but can't make out where photo is exactly? Also heard of one on Haydn Rd, could those houses in that photo be up on teesdale/weardale rd? guees as not RAF the Vulcan and Canberra Crashes not on that site? remember seeing such well documented here in a post re "Test Pilots" but can't find at the moment

I seem to remember something about a plane crashing into a house on Teesdale Road during the second world war, this was in the Post a couple of years ago. A plane crashed into our house once, my missus must have left the landing light on all night.

Ashley, I'm back again after hearing from my bro. Here's his reply.

The incident I described was the only one concerning a Lightning that occurred on the airfield. It remained stuck in the ground until the next day when it was hauled out. There would have a tarpaulin covering the cockpit during the night. We had a Javelin that landed with a wheel retracted and slewed off the runway on to the grass, facing Watnall. That happened on 28 Feb 1962 and took a few day to move.

[me]I hope that was the incident you saw, we're running out of planes!

the mystery deepens! def not the P1 overshoot I saw then, and thinking about it whatever I did see was facing "wrong way" being a "small" fighter aircraft as opposed to the lanc and elizebthan I use to see and covered over must have assumed that it was the Lightening? (half buried in the wood an exaggeration but at least way off runway up against trees/bushes etc) ask your brother if he knew anyone called Duffield from Basford, know he worked on the Lightening, last time I saw him (10? years ago) was telling me re how he went to work the day after the vulcan crash and how it got to him when he saw the crew's cars still parked up there. Talking of planes flying into houses for years (maybe 40) you could see the evidence (repaired) of where the canberra that crashed first hit the roof of a house on st albans road, (think now has new roof)

Back again Ashley with a reply, below.

It has to be the Javelin. There was also a Hunter that had an undercarriage collapse on landing, but that finished up at the side of the runway (other side from the woods) not far from the path but facing away from Watnall.

Can’t remember anyone named Duffield – might have known his face but not his name.

The house that the Canberra hit, and the one next to it, were pulled down years ago and two modern houses now stand there.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add to the list of sightings of the mid air collision of two planes over Colwick. It occured in the late 1950s, I was a pupil at Ellis Secondary school, on Bar Lane. We were all in the playground, suddenly, someone beside me pointed towards a distant cloud of grey smoke hanging in the sky. He yelled, "I just saw two planes crash into each other.!" I immediately turned and saw the smoke cloud, but no falling debris. The word spread quickly, and soon everyone in the payground was gazing at the smoke cloud. It was still there when the whistle blew and we went back into class. When I got home from school, the crash had become national news. Several airmen had been killed, and a lady canteen worker had also been killed when part of the wreckage landed on a factory.

• 3 years later...

Better late than never, I also witnessed this disaster, I was in the playgroud of Hogarth primary on Carlton Road at the time (the school is now a Hindu temple I believe). Anyway, I found this report which seems to clear up the details:-

http://macr.moonfruit.com/#/dh-vampires-xh321-xe990/4532317348

Other Notts crashes on thr same site.

Cheers

Manversboy.

• Upvote 1
  • 11 months later...

Hi again, yes i saw the midair collision, i was in the playground at Windley school on forest road, it was a clear sky and the sun shone on the silver wreckage as it fell from the sky, didn't realise what it was untill teachers .

told us of the plane crash

Does anyone know anything of the plane crash debris that was on the Beeston recreation ground?

It was embedded into the eastern end of the park when I played there in the early 1950's and it was still there in the 70's when I took my children to the park.

We were told that it was the wreckage of a German aircraft which was shot down during the war. Not sure which war, though.

I would really like to get the facts on this aircraft, if anyone can help.

I have access to an index Gloster Meteor incidents 1944 - 88, 800 of them, could only find a couple of landing incidents in Notts at RAF Worksop during 1955 -56. Could well have been a different aircraft types involved. One of the last entries was a terrible incident when a Meteor and Vampire of the RAF Vintage Flight crashed at Mildenhall, Suffolk in 1986

Fortunately I missed that one as I'd gone the previous day.

As far as I know, the last Vampire to crash was at Biggin Hill Airshow in 2001. It was flying in formation with the much larger Sea Vixen and I believe got caught in it's slipstream and went straight into the ground killing both on board.

I don't recall the Lightning incident at Hucknall at all, we were always up on the footpath watching them carry out engine runs backed up to that big funnel thing. I do recall the Lightning, or early P1 I think it was, breaking the sound barrier overhead not long after it arrived at Hucknall, it made a hell of a bang.

Hi Firbek, the Biggin Hill one was a nasty one but unfortunately not the last fatality. An ex Swiss Air Force, French registered Vampire crashed in Angers in June 2006. at an airshow, killing the pilot. The last Vampire to crash, I understand, was a Mk 2 in Rochester NY in August 2009, a belly landing but the pilot survived. Can't be many left...

• 1 year later...

Think you'll find it was 2 jet provosts over the colwick area, I was in playground of Claremont Seniors so post 1957, we heard a boom in distance, looked and saw what looked like a round cloud, did not see any planes/wreckage falling as good few miles away, seem to remember engine from one crashed through glass roof of factory in netherfield killing a woman? may have been Lawrences Furniture Factory? was also at the battle of britain display at syserston when that vulcan crashed, there was a fire on impact which was maybe half mile away from crowd.

I believe you are on about the to training plains that collided over colwick in 1959 February I think. I went to Colwick School and lived on the vale. An engine landed right next to an end house next entry up from where I lived at No 91 so that would be No 77. The woman that was killed worked at sprays in colwick and was in the canteen at the time. Her name was colliss don’t now her first name. Part of the body of the plane landed just beyond our hose on the allotment and my mother used to make tea for the R.A.F. lads that guarded the wreckage. Parts also fell on the race course

• Upvote 1

There is a film of the wreckage here.

Thank you DavidA for posting this clip. It shows as I said the wreckage on the race course and the engine next to the house with Mr Davenport and some of the other neighbours standing round it. The hole in the wooden roof of the canteen of Sprays and other wreckage, cant tell where that is as no back ground but it looks like its on the allotment before the R.A.F. lads turned up to keep people away. I was wrong about the year (a year earlier than I though) so that made me 8 years old. I was at school at the time, colwick C of E in the play ground which was next to Sprays. Goes to show how lucky us kid were any one of us could have been injured

• Upvote 1

Hi everyone. Yes I remember seeing this while in the school playground. Not sure if it was Beech Avenue School or later at Stanley Road School. There was a round white cloud in the clear sky. can't remember a sound but it looked unusual...not like a normal cloud. I later told my mother who said 2 planes had collided somewhere over the city. Something in the back of my mind thinks it was above the Trent polytechnic in Goldsmith St but I have no idea where they ended up crashing.

I've just watched the news video from DavidA link above. So it would have been in the playground at Stanley Road school where I saw the cloud.. Amazing they have news footage of the wreckage.

• 6 months later...

Just goes to show how often I log in! The collision between the two aircraft occurred in the mid/late 1950's. Two Vampires collided in mid air. I believe an engine landed between two houses on Vale Rd, some debris went through Spray & Burgess' roof  next to St Johns C of E school, I was in the playground and saw it happen. I think also some debris went through the roof of the Coop on Carlton Hill? Bits were found in the BSC sugar beet settlement ponds, or was that just school kids rumours? Luckily nothing went through the school!!

Piat ( Voysher)

My late husband worked at Spray and Burgess in the 70s

Another worker told him about the plane crash,a rumour got a bit out of hand and someone reckoned a woman working in an upstairs room at the time of the crash had her head sliced off,no one liked having to go in that room after that.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi Mickey i was at Nuthall Cowsheds school in the late 50s iwas in the playground when we heard an explosion in the sky saw lots of smoke and wreckage falling in the direction of Hucknall.I heard locals saying a test pilot had been killed and he is buried at Nuthall Cemetary ithink his name Parish would this be the same incident you saw?Ian Canada.

H

There appear to have been 1 or 2 mid air collisions in Notts over the years;

Plus 1 in Derbys 1955

It may be that some have got blurred together.

There's a non verified list here;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mid-air_collisions_and_incidents_in_the_United_Kingdom#1960s