Mid air collision.

There were definitely several in the Trent Valley during WW2. There are two memorial stones on the Trentside near Bleasby, and one near Car Colston. They were training accidents I recall.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is a film of the wreckage here.

Better late than never, I also witnessed this disaster, I was in the playgroud of Hogarth primary on Carlton Road at the time (the school is now a Hindu temple I believe). Anyway, I found this report

I believe you are on about the to training plains that collided over colwick in 1959 February I think. I went to Colwick School and lived on the vale. An engine landed right next to an end house next

The one at Bleasby, in the shape of a Lancaster tail, in granite, was erected on the Glebe Field last September and was the the work of one assiduous resident who did much research and was able to contact surviving family members to attend the unveiling. Sadly the incident remembered was largely due to pilot error as indeed were many crashes in the region of Syerston airfield with aircraft crashing on training flights or colliding with returning aircraft. One Lancaster actually landed in the Trent at Fiskerton. There used to be a large bomb crater in the field in front of Bleasby Hall but that bomb was dropped by one of our own prior to landing. I remember, many years ago, collecting bits from a Lancaster that crashed in woodland at the back of Morton village. Syerston was still active when we moved to the area in 1962. It was then a training base for Jet Provost aircraft. One of the instructors that taught me to fly in the 70’s was instructing there back in those days. He flew Sunderland flying boats during the war!

• 4 months later...

Hi All, Does anyone know s a my information about a crash that happened in the 1950’s near the Shepard’s pub (what is now) off Stragglethorpe Road,Cotgrave area. I think may be 2 planes were involved ? 
If anyone knows where I could look to get this info, or has any ideas that could help me then could you let me know please on here or email- Steph.conduit1983@gmail.com

Thanks 

Steph