I've been thinking about various shops and other places which used to be in Carlton Square.

Hi ian. I work in carlton square,used to be dawsons but the shop was sold last november,now called Just Delicious. I used to work there when it was dawsons and carried on there when it was sold,been there 4 and a half years. 

I remember Dawsons (I actually remember the face of Dawson himself.) Hasn't Wilkos moved now , from what I understand they are still in the precinct but in where Fine Fare was all those years ago.

Ian

Hi ian. Dawsons was in the square for a long time,and it was started by Pasqual dawson and his then wife Valerie who is now Valerie Skerritt and married to Nick. They used to be over the other side of the square,where wilkos is now. They moved over about 2 and a half years ago when wilkos were expanding. The supermarket that used to be at the end of the square near the old council offices was Kwik Save and they closed just before wilkos was extended.

In my day (From what I remember) .You entered by the Council House on your left was Fine Fare, then a newsagents, Dawsons, Wilcos. Across the other side was the car park, then the Laundrette ,a bric a brac shop, the Chemists , then a shop called toy sports, and finally Hazel Franklin Florists

If I missed any body tough!!

At the side of the carpark they have built some more shops now ,Pizza place and motor cycle spares place amongst others but I can't remember what else

it was started by Pasqual dawson and his then wife Valerie who is now Valerie Skerritt and married to Nick.

I was just gonna ask that! I knew a Nick Skerrit, who knew the owner!

So they are are married now? Are you in contact with them?

Nick knows me from work, way back.(1970's)

Mornin all. Didnt know pasqual,val was already married to nick when i started at dawsons. Now the shop has been sold i dont see val or nick,although we still get our bread and cobs from dawsons bakery on little tennis street. The square now consists of Wilkos, Farm Foods(that used to be in netho) Chemists,second hand shop,pizza place,launderettte is still there,empty shop next door which is opening soon as a crocers,then Just Delicious(where i work) then the hoover shop,newsagents,which used to be across the other side of the square.A hairdressers and a betting shop.

In hindsite I vaguely remember a Hoover shop, opposite side to Kwick Save.

Yes thats the same hoover shop thats still there! The chap that used to own it has retired and his son owns it now. x

• 2 weeks later...

In the book where I found the photos of Chandos School etc There are quite a few of old Carlton Suare and new plus the surrounding local, anybody up for some ??

I'll see what I can do regarding the castle (But don't hold you'r breath)

The site of your old school Bazzer.

NCCC002743-1.jpg

Looking towards the square from Carlton Hill. Thats the Blacks head Centre Left. The post office and chemists are in the centre.

NCCC002744-1.jpg

Looking towards Cavendish road . The Drill hall in the background , and the waste ground in the middle is now occupied by a Telephone exchange.

NCCC002745-1.jpg

More to follow

• Upvote 3

Thanks BS.

Pic 1: The 'haunted house' was against that back wall,,, probably where the walls are sticking out.

Pic 2: Can we still say 'Blacks' Head ? (some sort of sex game by the sound of it ?!)

Pic 3: Just see a 39 bus round the corner.

You mentioned Russia Fields some where Bazzer

oldcarltonstuff010.jpg

And some more maps (My mums house is on the old one!!)

oldcarltonstuff008.jpg

oldcarltonstuff009.jpg

Back to the Square

oldcarltonstuff011.jpg

oldcarltonstuff012.jpg

You can see a 39 bus again!!

And the old 'Windsor Castle'

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

Glad you remember the name !! "The Balaton" was a regular haunt on a Sunday night for YT as they were open till midnight , so it was a good excuse for a 'Late one' It closed down around 1990

Big George the doorman (He with the funny nose ) died of a heart attack on his way home from work one night.

Thats the one Bazzer, was it on the corner of Clifton Grove or Redcar Close? Was it split level, bar as you went in and dance floor lower down?

Den.

Can't recall the name of the side roads i'm afraid (s'taking me all my time to remember my name these days !),,,, all I remember is going up Besecar, and on the right, just before the crest of the hill was the road with the 'club' on it.

I can't make out on google where the ridge/crest of the hill is,,,, but we'r in the right area.

I've never been a 'club' drinker,,,,,, dosn't matter what club or alligence, I just couldn't (still can't) get on with clubs,,,,,,, I know it's strange coming from such working class roots,,,,,,

Someone will come up with the name of that place,,,,,,,,,

Cheers Den

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this befor but multimap.com has a very useful feature called "Bird's Eye". Although only available, at the moment, in built up areas it provides a much better view than Google Earth of buildings. You can also choose the direction in which you look: from North, South, East and West.

Here's a link to Besecar Avenue to give you an idea.

Bird's Eye View

It doesnt work round here unfortunately (We still have the photo on there from before we moved in here, 7 years ago !!!!!)