Train Crash in New Basford

I have said crash actually a derailment, but quite dramatic. Was I guess about 1955? Every night on the former Great Central Route Nottingham Victoria north to New Basford, Bulwell Common etc a loco would take carriages from the Vic up to the carriage sheds that stood between Haydn Road and Perry Road, As I understand it to get into those the train had to back up and cross the "up" (to london ) line, before that crossover some switch points had to be made safe, these were there to derail any runaway wagons etc on the incline before they ran back into victoria station. Rumour had it that a well known "rascal" switched points back again whilst train backed up! Result was several carriages were pushed over the embankment, looked like real train crash! next 2 or so days with rail mounted cranes, lots of oxy acetaline cutting, grinding etc all exciting for a 9 yo boy etc! As I said not sure of facts or reasons but never have found anyone who remembers such! carriage sheds are dark buildings on right near high chimney, bridge over in distance is Perry Road, actually derailment took place after New Basford Station on left

Yes indeed, I remember the New Basford empty stock derailment...1955 sounds about right.

There were a set of trailing crossovers at Bagthorpe Junction but, IIRC, another set just north of New Basford station were usually used for the reverse shunts.

Seem to recall that the incident was detailed in John Healey's book, Great Central Memories.

Cheers

Robt P.

• 7 months later...
I have said crash actually a derailment, but quite dramatic. Was I guess about 1955? Every night on the former Great Central Route Nottingham Victoria north to New Basford, Bulwell Common etc a loco would take carriages from the Vic up to the carriage sheds that stood between Haydn Road and Perry Road, As I understand it to get into those the train had to back up and cross the "up" (to london ) line, before that crossover some switch points had to be made safe, these were there to derail any runaway wagons etc on the incline before they ran back into victoria station. Rumour had it that a well known "rascal" switched points back again whilst train backed up! Result was several carriages were pushed over the embankment, looked like real train crash! next 2 or so days with rail mounted cranes, lots of oxy acetaline cutting, grinding etc all exciting for a 9 yo boy etc! As I said not sure of facts or reasons but never have found anyone who remembers such! carriage sheds are dark buildings on right near high chimney, bridge over in distance is Perry Road, actually derailment took place after New Basford Station on left

Just click fast reply and a box opens at the bottom of the page, then just type away!!