Central TV series 'Boon'

Certainly the Yellow Model T and the triangular silver car , that were used by John Pertwee were built there for some reason!! (I remember peeping through the door to look at them as a youngster)

Can't find a picture any where!! Help

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apologies for being over 15 years late to the party,  but glad to be here finally and in a position to contribute.   The large country house you refer to would either have been Flintham Hall

Nice of you to drop in TNisT. It's always interesting to find someone who can provide information and fill in gaps in knowledge.   Out of curiosity, how did you come to find Nottstalgia and

Posted Images

I can't remember (If I could I might find some links and pics (I've been looking for 20 minutes so far )

A scene from Boon was filmed at my house in the Meadows, Mick might remember he used to live on same street , it consisted of Boon coming up the side of the house enetering the garden and talking to the female of the house with her young child, they took the shot that many times altogether, separate and one point a line was to the young girl saying 'this is Ken', to this replied ''Mummy you have already told me that'',the young girl was the acutual daughter og the actress.

Another scene was two heavies coming to the front door wanting find out where character played by Tim Healey was, they kepy making her laugh.

They were on site all day, taking most of the street , with equipment and there were 2 cycles which Boon used.

All for a 2 minute slot, got paid 75 pounds and free food.

He was a very nice person and after filming as long as the local kids queued up he signed autographs for every one.

How do they get to use your house and Craigs car?? Does someone just knock on your door? or do you advertise in Variety or the Stage magazine??

PS does the house have an equity card now?.........................LOL !rotfl!

How do they get to use your house and Craigs car?? Does someone just knock on your door? or do you advertise in Variety or the Stage magazine??

PS does the house have an equity card now?.........................LOL !rotfl!

In my case, I knew/know the guy who supplied vehicles for many tv shows, in fact its drag racer (former Eurppean champ) Barry Sheavills, ( him and his crew were often extras on things like Auf Wiedersein ) who used to have Anglo American Auto on Ilkeston Rd, id known Barry cos of having a few Yank cars prior to the car they needed, which was a BMW 3 series.

Incidentally, they also built some of the strange machines seen on kids ITV at the time, cant remember what they were called, but one was like a lobster, based I recall on a Moggy Minor.

Also, Tim Healey, from "Pet" had a 6 series BM, which he very kindly gave me something off it that I needed for mine, nice guy!

He is a nice guy I met him in Arrabellas once, I wasn't even working there at the time , stopped for a chat about golf for some reason (I hate it) and insisted on buying me a pint, nice bloke!!

Did he buy you one?? IMMSC he was in some pro celeb tournament somewhere and Alan Hayes was involved ,I think Patrick Mower was there too

Boon was on tv last night (men and motors). I noticed that a lorry entered woodcote park and from the main road entrance there was a red and white metal barrier. This looked more like an industrial park entrance than a country house.

Does anyone remember the garage on Foxhill road near the Carlton pub? They used to build cars for TV use, one of doctor Who's cars was built there.

Den.

I worked on some moulds for him many years ago to reproduce the Austin Healey 3000 in Kit car form.I don't think anything came of it.

He was working on the body of a car in the shape of an elephants head at the time.He had an old spotter aircraft in his shop too...a very flimsy machine I wouldn't like to sit in it on the ground never mind being up there and being shot at by Germans.

He got a rollocking driving his black and white Yankee cop car off our police.They didn't like the lights on the roof, even though they were red not blue.And the car was covered in NYPD (I think) decals.

Paul.

Boon was on tv last night (men and motors). I noticed that a lorry entered woodcote park and from the main road entrance there was a red and white metal barrier. This looked more like an industrial park entrance than a country house.

Yes ,I noticed that as well.They seem to have been quite crafty with filming different entrances to Woodcote Park.The one you mention reminds me of a place somewhere just to the north of Nottingham but I can't think where,Calverton or somewhere like that.They used one of the entrances to Thrumpton Hall quite a lot but not the hall itself.

I've noticed the house seems to have a large indoor swimming pool and a tennis court.There might be a church in the trees just to the side of it.

I dropped ITV/Central an ‘e’ when I first read your post. No reply - yet.

I assume that others have done this also. When (if) I get a reply – will put it here.

Me too !.I also emailed the Evening Post Bygones section but no reply.The Post used to do a questions and answers page,do they still do it ?.

someone's gotta know that tower,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

It may still be there,,,, have you tried google-earth ?

If you can find the houses that you 'think' might fit - you may see the tower there ! (just a thought,,,,,,, only just,,,,, !)

The yellow Doctor Who car was called Bessie. Bessie was superceded by the futuristic Whomobile complete with a Nottingham City number plate.

whomobile2_dr_who.jpg

And yes I can remember them both in that little garage at the bottom of Second Avenue - a road which featured in Shane Meadows' "Once Upon a Time in The Midlands".

someone's gotta know that tower,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

It may still be there,,,, have you tried google-earth ?

If you can find the houses that you 'think' might fit - you may see the tower there ! (just a thought,,,,,,, only just,,,,, !)

Found the tower !.It's Sibthorpe Dovecote between Bingham and Newark.Still can't find flaming Woodcote Park though !!!.

a road which featured in Shane Meadows' "Once Upon a Time in The Midlands".

The gang in Once Upon,,,,,,, drove past my old home in Gedling,,,,,

anyone know where the house was/is, that featured mostly ?

I 'thought' it may be one that ran between Westdale Lane & Porchester.

Bazzer did you work at Gedling Pit?

nah mate,,,,,, lived right across the road of the entrance,,,,,, to one side of the Pit Estate. Used the Dirty Duck a lot.

We had the job of re-placing the tiny coal bunkers with concrete 'shed' type structures on the Pit Estate,, so we used to go to the pit canteen for lunch. 1/3 for 3 courses,,,,, although I used to have two dinners & no starter or pudding.

The Once Upon,,,,,,, gang drove down Arnold Lane & turned right (just b4 the pit entrance) onto Shelford Road.

BAZ

The gang in Once Upon,,,,,,, drove past my old home in Gedling,,,,,

anyone know where the house was/is, that featured mostly ?

I 'thought' it may be one that ran between Westdale Lane & Porchester.

It awas about half way up Second Avenue on the RHS.

It awas about half way up Second Avenue on the RHS.

Cheers Bamber,

Was the external shot,,,, where they drove down the hill & pulled up on the left ?

I was about to say that I can't recall Second Ave being that wide,,,,,, but it has been a few (30odd) years since i've seen it !

Baz

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Central TV series 'Boon'