Central TV series 'Boon'

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apologies for being over 15 years late to the party,  but glad to be here finally and in a position to contribute.   The large country house you refer to would either have been Flintham Hall

Nice of you to drop in TNisT. It's always interesting to find someone who can provide information and fill in gaps in knowledge.   Out of curiosity, how did you come to find Nottstalgia and

Posted Images

Just received a reply from Brian Lighthill.

Sorry - the joy of being a Director is you are poured into a car, half asleep, very early in the morning and driven to the location of the day.

I have no idea where it was...

sorry.

Happy hunting.

Brian (Lighthill)

Ah !,nearly an answer,at least he was decent enough to reply.Lets hope the location manager can help,if he can't I don't know who can.

Been looking around the Dukeries,couple of promising locations ,near Retford and Worksop, but again no.

Ayup Avocet,

You weren't by any chance "A Terrier with a bone" before you were a black and white wader with blue legs were you?

Seriously though I am really enjoying this brilliant thread it's got me thinking as it has all the rest of us and I for one will be sorry to see it come to a positive conclusion, if it ever does will you please start another one?

you see how all these good Nottingham folk join in to help another Nottingham person who has lost something? I don't think that would happen with any other county

Rog

Rog,

Thanks for your kind words.Yes,must have been a Terrier or something in a past life.Finding Woodcote seemed easy at first,you know,just look at a map and there it would be.Can't believe how wrong that idea turned out to be !.The harder it is becoming to find makes me more determined than ever,not going to let this 'bone' go !.To be honest when I first posted my question I thought you would all think it was a bit daft and not be interested,look how wrong I was about that too.I really appreciate the all of the hard work and interest all the decent members of this forum have shown so far,I'm sure we will crack the mystery between us.

My wife thought I was daft but after seeing the interest it has created she has changed her mind,either that or she thinks all of you are daft aswell !!.

Dare I say it,but when we sort this one out there are a couple of other locations that elude me...........

I was wondering ,what could the house be nowadays and would it help the search.

A few ideas;

A private home ?

Care home/retirement home/nursing home ?

A real hotel ?

Flats/apartments ?

Head office for some business ?

Offices/council offices etc. ?

Training centre ?

Private school ?

Health Spa ?

Religious type retreat ?

or more disturbingly,empty/derelict/demolished or burnt down ?.Or perhaps the most obvious....top secret TV location ?.

Avocet,

A couple of your screen captures features polo players. The polo playing might provide an an angle as there are relatively few places where you can play polo.

My guess is that the writers incorporated local aspects into their storylines. There's a polo ground at "Woodcote Hall"; how can we get that into the story?

From the video footage can we be confident that 1) the polo pitch is adjacent to Woodcote Park Hotel and 2) that it is a regular polo pitch rather than a field masquerading as one?

I do know that the nearest polo club is in Oakham.

Bamber,

Yes the Polo pitch is adjacent to Woodcote,it is directly opposite the main door,across a lawn from the small parking area at the front.As to whether it is a real pitch,I don't know,but I'm am more inclined to think it is just a field masquerading as one.

I know the Polo club you mentioned at Oakham,it is in the village of Langham.Their pitch is just an open field next to some fairly modern houses on the edge of the village.

I take your point about including local aspects into the storyline,Polo doesn't seem that widespread and is an unusual storyline.

It is in the Polo episode that we get the best look at the grounds.Seems that the countryside is fairly flat around Woodcote and some way into the distance,although in one shot you get a brief glimpse of a smallish hill with trees on just to the left of the Polo pitch also quite a bit of woodland with various types of trees.This reminds me of North Notts and the Dukeries just like you mentioned.

There must also be a clue in the type of bricks and stone the house is built of.I'm contacting some Notts local history societies to see if they can help.

I will try to do a sketch of what I think is the groundplan of Woodcote and put it online.

Still think the best hope is if someone connected with the series comes up with the answer,but that looks less and less promising.

I phoned Radio Nottm today. The 2-4 show is run by John Holmes (not that one from the films), He was too busy to look into it so i will try again, does anyone know if they have a programme dedicated to answering listeners questions?

Den.

Don't know about Radio Nottingham,but the Nottingham Evening Post used to answer readers questions once a week,I think a woman did it but I can't remember her name.I did email the Post months ago about Woodcote and Boon and asked if they still answered readers questions but I have never received a reply.I think I might try again seeing as there is all of the interest on this forum to back me up and try to get a plug in for nottstalgia.com !.

whilst I don't like bad-mouthing people,,,,, I'm not surprised that you had no reply from the 'Post.

Over the past 3 years, I have faxed & e-mailed them on several occasions,,, for several reasons,,,,,

I never got a reply to any of them.

When I write to the CEO, I get a standardised note full of platitudes, which dosn't answer or address the matter.

I thought it was just us 'aliens' who got ingored,,,, I was beginning to get paranoid !

Good Luck

Don't know about Radio Nottingham,but the Nottingham Evening Post used to answer readers questions once a week,I think a woman did it but I can't remember her name.I did email the Post months ago about Woodcote and Boon and asked if they still answered readers questions but I have never received a reply.I think I might try again seeing as there is all of the interest on this forum to back me up and try to get a plug in for nottstalgia.com !.

Save your ink and paper. The ""readers' questions" feature ended a good fifteen years ago when Northcliffe became the new owners and the paper's librarian retired.

Radio Nottingham is undoubtedly the best option in the absence of any success with direct research.

I tried to get on the Frances Finn programme this morning but not successful.

I also tried a few casting agencies who supplied extras for the TV studios. Denman castings who used to supply to Central no longer exist and a few others had no idea about "Woodcote Park".

Den.

bit of a conspiracy if you ask me,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I agree,there seems to be something increasingly odd about all of this.Did everyone involved with Woodcote have a clause in their contracts never to divulge the location ?.We seem to get really close to the answer and then get knocked almost back to square one.Woodcote must be within 30 or 40 miles of where I am sat now but it might as well be on the moon !.

Got a few more production credits,this time from the episode 'Arms and the Dog' ;

Location manager......Rae Yuille

Local casting......Maxine Williams

Assistant Cameraman......Stephen Symes

Sound Assistant......Ricky Telford

1st Assistant Director......David Macdonald

3rd " """ """ "......Terry Butt

Cameraman......Don Perrin

Sound Director......Paul Crichton

Editor......Nigel Miller

Designer......Jeff Tessler

Director......Christopher Baker

Good work with Radio Nottingham Den,don't give up !.Don't know how anyone manages to get to speak on local radio,they seem to speak to the same people all of the time.

I had to do a live interview on a breakfast show a few years ago and I found the presenter a very strange chap !.

Put some more photos up.....Woodcote views

Sorry to hijack slightly but when I lived in your fair city , that Evening Post answers to readers questions never ceased to be a source of incredulity (If there is such a word ) I bet the poor person alloted the task of answering said questios were often lost for words at peoples gross ignorance.

The amount of times there was a question along the lines of "A route from Beeston to Skegness please, avoiding the motorways"

or "The quickest route to London , from Aspley please " !!!! it beggars belief at times ,

Sorry again to hijack

Beefsteak,

Thats just what we used to think !,we couldn't believe some of the questions.'Route from Beeston/Arnold/Calverton etc. to Skegness' were regulars.We wondered if it was just to fill space when they didn't have any real questions.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Central TV series 'Boon'