Central TV series 'Boon'

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apologies for being over 15 years late to the party,  but glad to be here finally and in a position to contribute.   The large country house you refer to would either have been Flintham Hall

Nice of you to drop in TNisT. It's always interesting to find someone who can provide information and fill in gaps in knowledge.   Out of curiosity, how did you come to find Nottstalgia and

Posted Images

Well,what can I say ?.Firstly,well done to everyone for a brilliant piece of detective work.

I can't believe it is at Barnby,only 10 miles from where I live !,in fact I drove within about 3 miles of it less than two hours ago !.

I have travelled right across Lincolnshire today and I was going to put a post up that I had seen several very similiar houses and perhaps it could be somewhere in the Trent Valley between Newark,Gainsborough and Lincoln !.I looked on Google earth around Coddington a few weeks ago but didn't look any further east.

The house doesn't seem to have changed much in 20 years,I was right about the traffic noise,with the A17 next door and the A1 just to west.

It is well hidden behind the trees,away from the A17,no wonder no recognised it I don't suppose many people have ever seen it.

I was around Claypole /Balderton and Stubton a lot in the Summer/Autumn of 1989 and it amazes me thet they were filming at Barnby.It was never mentioned in the local papers.

And no,its not my house Beefsteak......

!congrats!

I agree with you Rob and if thats the case the Avocet will be as rare as they were in the early fifties, practically extinct,

I hope you've got another one if this gets solved Avocet

Rog

Does anyone really want another to solve ? or has anybody else got a good local mystery that needs cracking ?

:yahoo: Well done bamber...clear front-runner in the Nottstalgian of the Year contest!

Shouldn't Avocet and Rog be made to appear before the Nottstalgia Disciplinary Committee, charged (because of their proximity) with dereliction of duty? :victory:

Cheers

Robt P.

:yahoo: Well done bamber...clear front-runner in the Nottstalgian of the Year contest!

Shouldn't Avocet and Rog be made to appear before the Nottstalgia Disciplinary Committee, charged (because of their proximity) with dereliction of duty? :victory:

Cheers

Robt P.

I plead guilty but with mitigating circumstances !.....lead astray by red herrings on other websites and the other locations used in Boon !!.

Guilty as charged, To try and make up for it ,if the weather is ok this weekend and I,ve got a spare hour I will take a bike ride to the spot and get a couple of photo's, because the house is in private hands the picture will have to be of the entrance and any other land marks I can fit in

Hangs head in shame

Rog

Well done Bamber (possible nottstagian of the year?) eat your heart out inspector Morse

If I lived closer i'd pop in and ask the owner if he minded my taking a couple of shots,,,,,, might just come up with something more than expected,,,, but then, I always a bit cheeky.

surely s'worth a try anyway !

Enjoyed the chase, well done to you all.

That would also explain why Neil Morrisey passed through Grantham services on the afternoon I signed him up for the RAC. (He would have been heading south down the A1 from the Newark area)

Just browsing around that area, there are a lot of hidden military instalations , so that could be why it was hard to find!!

Beckingham (Camp ???) nearby

Rog,

Might bump into you then,going to have a look myself sometime this weekend,got to drop the wife off at her sister in Clifton first. Probably both end up getting arrested !.

Bamber,

excellent work with the TV people,do you have TV industry connections ? you did well to find the phone numbers etc of some of the people involved with Boon.I knew you'd find Woodcote today,just because I was away at work all day !.

I still can't believe it is so close to where I live,after years of wondering,just goes to show what can be done with the help of good people like yourselves.

Roger 3.5 miles away ???????? that's a bit naughty (Didn't we go past there on Sunday ??)

That would also explain why Neil Morrisey passed through Grantham services on the afternoon I signed him up for the RAC. (He would have been heading south down the A1 from the Newark area)

Yes,when you first mentioned that way back it got me looking along the A1,but I looked north of Newark towards Retford.

I think there is or used to be a military firing range very close,next to the A17.

I must have driven past the main entrance to Woodcote..sorry..Barnby dozens of times.That bit of the A17 is quite dark even in the summer with the tall trees along both sides and the A17 is a fairly horrible road,busy and a lot of people drive like idiots on it so you have to keep you wits about you.I have noticed the entrance before but not the lodge,I thought it was something to do with the Golf Club.

Ayup Beefsteak,

When we got to the end of Stapleford wood, that little island, Barnby manor is less than a mile to the left heading towards Sleaford, Beckingham camp is more or less across the road, when the army are there practicing I can hear the shots from my house (this is not getting any better for me is it?) Also the missus goes to Beckingham every day on her 12 mile keep fit run around the areas lanes,

Avocet, when will you be there, I can make a point of being there at the same time, it's only 15-20minutes from home on me bike,

still hanging me head in shame

Rog

Bamber,

excellent work with the TV people,do you have TV industry connections ? you did well to find the phone numbers etc of some of the people involved with Boon.I knew you'd find Woodcote today,just because I was away at work all day !.

Thank you. I really enjoyed that bit of detective work. It's amazing what you can find out if you know the wrinkles.

In this instance Mick, Live.com isn't as good as Google.earth.

(incidentally - to those who don't know - Google Earth has been up-dated since its inception - now 2008 version)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I must say that I was a little dubious at the very first glance of Barnby, as I couldn't get the right chimney line up,,,,, but everrything else fell into place,,,,, but I was expecting something a bit more open - I wouldn't have found it 'just by looking'.

Bit of a coincy dance that it is so close to the guys here !?

Great chase - lets do another,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

In a post a while back I said I had traced the gateway shots and some driveway shots to Thrumpton Hall,I had some photos but didn't put them online because I had traced them but I wil put them up now just for the sake of interest.Some village and country road shots were around Thrumpton also.

I suppose they didn't use Barnby Manor's entrance because it was out onto the busy A17.

Woodcote / Barnby Manor views

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Central TV series 'Boon'