Central TV series 'Boon'

Hello,I wonder if anyone can help me with finding a location that has bugged me for ages.In series 4 of the Central ITV programme 'Boon' all of the filming was done on location in and around Nottingham in 1989.There is one filming location that I just cannot find .I am trying to find the large country house that was used as the hotel known as 'Woodcote Park'.The name used was not its real name and it might not have been a real hotel.It was a large,two storey house built of stone and brick ,probably Victorian and set in extensive grounds and woodland.On watching scenes filmed there you can sometimes hear quite loud traffic noise ,like a dual carriageway or perhaps a motorway.I have been told it could be between Nottingham and Derby or Loughborough or Mansfield ! but I cannot find any house remotely like it.

Thanks,Avocet.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apologies for being over 15 years late to the party,  but glad to be here finally and in a position to contribute.   The large country house you refer to would either have been Flintham Hall

Nice of you to drop in TNisT. It's always interesting to find someone who can provide information and fill in gaps in knowledge.   Out of curiosity, how did you come to find Nottstalgia and

Posted Images

Welcome Avocet

During the filming of Boon, I was working for the RAC ,on sales, and one day I was out at Grantham Services on the A1 on this boring day the only sale of the day was to one Neil Morrisey (Who played Rocky) Now if they were filming that way on I don't know, but it could be a help to you.

Good suggestion,but its not Colwick Hall.I've looked at Strelley Hall,Flintham Hall,Car Colston Hall,Tollerton Hall,Thrumpton Hall,Hopwell Hall,Trowell Hall,Norwood Park Southwell and many others but none are anything like the one on Boon.I've studied Ordnance Survey maps and used photos on Google Earth aswell as my local knowledge but to no avail !.

The house used was not as grand as Colwick Hall.They did do some filming in Sneinton and Colwick and around Holme Pierrepont Hall and Blotts club.Thanks for all of your suggestions so far,keep them coming !.

They did do some filming in Sneinton and Colwick and around Holme Pierrepont Hall and Blotts club.Thanks for all of your suggestions so far,keep them coming !.

I also remember recognising the Savoy Hotel (as it was then) on Mansfield Road almost opposite Clarendon College. Another spot was near where I live in Redhill. They filmed the traffic below on Mansfield Road from atop Arch Bridge.

Ayup Avocet,,

I remember the cast and crew of that programme going for a drink in Bunny at the Rancliffe arms most evenings and lunchtimes, they were filming nearby so it might be worth a look around Bunny hall. Rempstone hall or the Stamford hall area's all just off the A60 Nottingham to Loughborough road

ps: I like the name, have you really got blue legs and a turned up beak?

Rog

I've got blue legs but my beak isn't turned up though !.

I wondered if the house is somewhere in south Notts as well.They did some filming at Mountsorrel quarry near Loughborough so it would makes sense,I couldn't see them going long distances from Nottingham to film at locations.Thanks for the ideas,I'll have a look.I can't believe it is so difficult to find the location of the house !.

I think I have the answer

There was a convalescent home at Ruddington (Ruddington Hall ??) my father spent a while there ,it looks familiar

Ruddington Hall was one of the first places I thought of,it made sense ,close to Nottingham but still fairly rural,but alas its not the one !.My wife spent time there when she was a baby in the sixties,I think it was something to do with University Hospital then.I've checked photos of Bunny Hall,Stanford Hall,Clifton Hall and Rempstone Hall but its none of them either !.This really is bugging me now !,usually it doesn't take much to find a location but this one is a real mystery.I don't whether it is worth contacting Central TV to see if they know anything,but I suppose they might think it is a bit daft asking about something from a twenty year old programme !.

I also remember recognising the Savoy Hotel (as it was then) on Mansfield Road almost opposite Clarendon College. Another spot was near where I live in Redhill. They filmed the traffic below on Mansfield Road from atop Arch Bridge.

Their "office" in later series was in British Waterways Yard off Meadow Lane, also filmed at Commodore and perry road nick

It looks like a lot of the scenes showing the extensive grounds to the hotel and a driveway with stone gate pillars leading onto a village street were filmed at Thrumpton Hall and in Thrumpton village.

Unfortunately,Thrumpton Hall was not used as the hotel location so I am still none the wiser !.

The house used might not have had such extensive land of its own after all.

I read an interview done with Michael Elphick (Ken Boon) in 1999,on an excellent website about the Boon series,and in it he said when asked about the location of 'Woodcote Park', "Not quite Spondon but on the way out and then off to the left (laughs), that’s all I can remember! It’s a private house on the way to either Spondon or Newark – on the main road, just off to the left."

A good suggestion,it fits the description of the location.I had a look at a photo but it is not the one !.Apparently at the time Central TV didn't state the filming location for some reason,probably to keep idiots like me from finding it !.I'm not giving up yet though.There seemed to be a lot of extras in the scenes filmed there so someone must know where it is.

Was it the green Rover 200 ?,they certainly thrashed that about a bit !.

Barry's yellow Beford van "lived" on Brewsters Road area after the series still signwritten with Wolverhampton phone number etc, I remember owner asking a silly price for it because of it's history

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Central TV series 'Boon'