No More Fox Hunt!

no more foxhunting after today ??

BUT, we still have the feral chicken

is that a chicken I see out there Jeeves?

yes sir it most certainly is sir!

then don't just stand there, ready the dogs and saddle the horses,

with a bit of luck we may catch the blighter and give it a good ripping.

ad perpetuum! ;)

ilko..

Much as we admire it as British tradition, I am glad to see it abolished.

We are animal lovers here, 3 cats, 2dogs, and a rabbit, (the 5 guinea pigs are no more) :(

This barbaric practice needs to go the way of Bear bating and cock (&dog) fighting.

BUT, I doubt the Police will be able to enforce this ban. and the Hunt Crew will persist

for years these upercrust inbreds have felt the need to oppress some form of life or another..

years back it was the working class, but today it is the humble fox that has felt their wrath!

well their days are numbered, and nodoubt we'll hear them squeeling as the whip is taken from their hands..

but inbreds being inbreds they will nodoubt invent some other form of sport involving torture and death .. and of course it will all be in the name of countryside maintenance !

ilko..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

The Conservatives will try to lift the fox hunting ban if the party wins May’s general election.

The party will offer a free vote in the next Parliament to legalise hunting if the party wins in May, The Telegraph can disclose.

The news has emerged on Boxing Day, traditionally the biggest day of the hunting calendar when thousands of supporters turn out to watch their local hunts.

The party’s manifesto is set to say that the Hunting Act is wrong-headed and a future Tory government would try to repeal it.

The decision will be on a free vote of MPs in the House of Commons, echoing the manifesto commitments in 2005 and 2010, and has been agreed with Oliver Letwin, the Cabinet Office minister who is drawing up the manifesto.

I used to look forward to going to the Isley Walton hunt on boxing day to watch the riders off but these days if you follow the hunt theres a chance you get into all sorts of crap with the anti's

Rog

manage to watch the hunt a bit now where I live, also like to run with the beagles, smashing little chaps they are

Rog

• Upvote 1

Should a free vote actually be taken, I don't think there's any chance of a change in the law. At least three quarters of the population, and so presumably MPs, are against the chasing of a living creature to the point of exhaustion and then ripping it to pieces.

• Upvote 4

The unspeakable after the uneatable !!!!
I can't imagine how people can get enjoyment from seeing a beautiful animal ripped to pieces and call it 'sport'.
Yes, I've lost chickens and ducks to foxes in the past , but I blame myself for having inadequate fencing.
I won't go further as I will obviously offend some folk.

• Upvote 3

I gave up keeping chickens because foxes kept getting them. I chose to give upp rather than putting a very expensive fence around my plot. It was cheaper to buy eggs. I am totally anti-fox hunting.

• Upvote 2

When my son was at primary school they used a reading scheme called Oxford Reading Tree. He used to bring home lovely books to read to me. One of the best was a lovely story about a little boy who saw a fox come into the garden and heard the dogs chasing it. He opened the shed door so the fox could hide in there then called his mum. She came out and told the hunt to get out of her garden. When they had gone the little boy let the fox out. A nice story about kindness.

On a visit to a nature reserve we were told by a guide that local farmers were complaining about foxes. The response was that the rangers went out one day with guns, made a lot of noise but did not shoot anything. The farmers believed that foxes had been culled and they were quite happy. Nice one!

• Upvote 5

Lovely story Shirley,i just can't abide those 'brave' people who can hunt down and KILL an Animal.

• Upvote 3

It takes some guts to get pi55ed on warm punch and then ride roughshod through the countryside. !!!

• Upvote 1

I think that foxhunting is disgusting and cruel. The fox must be filled with terror as it's being chased by a pack of dogs wanting to tear it to bits. Imagine if it was your pet dog that was being hunted, there's no difference. Foxes can be culled in other ways without being ripped apart by a pack of savage hounds.

• Upvote 6

They make a terrible mess of the chicken,duck,cat,lamb,small family pet population,they don't just kill for food but for the hell of it,they can work their way through a chicken coup in a night ripping the heads off all the chickens and not eat one of them,I agree a quick kill is best,I don't like to see them in snares like I saw the other week at work,in fact I set him free and told the game keeper what I had done and he assures me he won't set any more snares,so it's the bullet from now on

Rog

• Upvote 2

I don't like to see cruelty to animals, nor humans for that matter, but I dislike foxes with a passion for good reason.

In a previous existence we kept sheep and every Springtime our ewes had lambs. On occasion we found new born lambs savaged by a fox and it's not a pleasant sight.

At another property in the country we had 18 Guinea Fowl which roamed freely around the garden and roosted in an oak tree every night. One by one Mr Fox had them.

There used to be a Hunt in our village and all the horse boxes were parked along our lane ........ I LOVED the sight and sound of the horses and riders going up to meet at the village pub in their 'pinks'. It's a traditional country pursuit, and not just for the 'toffs' and I see nothing wrong with it.

• Upvote 3

Each has differing views Lizzie. As I said earlier, I lost hens, chicks, ducks and ducklings, but I hadn't secured the outer fencing sufficiently. As much as I was distressed, I couldn't dislike the foxes. I love all wildlife however sad the results can be.

However, I respect your views and will defend freedom of differing views to the hilt.

• Upvote 3