No More Fox Hunt!

I have shot many a fox. Always tried to make it a one shot kill and succeeded 99% of the time. I used a full bore rifle were possible and a .22 RF magnum in closer areas.

Fox's are now the countries largest predator and in some areas are well over populated, over population makes them more of a nuisance as they hunt for food, they therefore have to be controlled by the hand off man, much like the deer population on Wollaton park have to be culled to keep the remainder healthy.

Fox's are a cunning and wily hunter but it is their propensity to kill for fun that makes them so detested by many country folk, many the times I have heard "If they only took one it wouldn't be so bad."

One on farm I shot over the farmer was what I would call an 'old fashioned country man' and he knew his land like the back of his hand, if a shrew passed wind he knew about it. Every year he would know how many foxes he had on his land and would then decide how many should be culled, some years it was none. By his reckoning his 350 acres could support four foxes without them causing to much of a problem. I would cull the surplus, old or injured ones first, to get things down to his level of population.

As to hunting with hounds that's a difficult one for me, personally I wouldn't do it but and it's a big BUT the anti's wouldn't stop there. The professional protester always needs something to protest about usually without any knowledge of what they are talking about.

• Upvote 4

I too dislike animal cruelty in any form, and do not agree with fox hunting, but I too have shot many foxes and still do.

They are indiscriminate killers and can leave a bloodbath in a field of new lambs or a chicken coupe. I've seen it with my own eyes.

Feral cats are also a big problem here, they breed up very quickly and need minimal water to survive, they kill lots of native birds and animals.

i have shot some that are almost twice the size of your standard cuddly pet and aggression you wouldn't believe.

Back to fox hunting, a quick clean kill is far better than being chased from field to field to be finally ripped apart by a pack of dogs.

• Upvote 6