• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Goose Fair mushy peas I remember were cooked in a wide pan on a wood fired brazier type of thing - a 10 (?) gallon oil drum with holes punched in the sides. Plenty of opportunity for smoke and bit

The tram to Goose fair   

I went too, and had mushy peas for starters, then sweet & sour chicken with rice, then four  doughnuts for dessert. Madam had six stringy waffley things with chocolate and toffee sauce on them. Of

Haven't seen the sun in these parts for ages (It's that long ago I've forgotten what it looks like) It's just over cast and drizzly all the time

I quite enjoy the old 'Goose Fair Weather' with it's fresh nip in the air. There's something about the natural autumnal scents in the air that's quite appealing. The only sad part is that it heralds the approaching winter and darker days.

Haven't seen the sun in these parts for ages

Looking forward to my loooong weekend in Spain very shortly. No shortage of sun there!!

Got to take some tools though as the brother's A/C is playing up :(

• 4 years later...

Used to love goose fair as a kid, but i haven't been since about the age of 14 when i went with some friends and one got mugged and hit by a adult man! Heard so many stories of similar things happening to people... its a shame that some people have to ruin it for others, Although i am looking forward to going in the daytime with my daughter and some friends, wont be going on any rides but i think my 1 year old will enjoy the lights etc and a few goes on hook a duck and other games (with the help of her mummy)

The 'Atmos Fear' (What a great name) looks awesome and I think it'll be a big attraction. As a kid I'd go to Goose Fair with my family and Dad would give us a pound in shillings. We could spend it how we wanted but once it had gone we didn't get anymore. My Mum and Dad would buy us hot dogs, toffee apples, drinks and stuff but the pound was for the stalls and rides etc. I can also remember having my name and address fastened to my coat in case I got lost. We never did get lost because we'd always be on our best behaviour, we knew what we'd get when we got home if we weren't. The crowds and the noise from the generators would be deafening but you soon got used to it. As we walked round the fair the flashing coloured lights were everywhere and all the latest music was blasting out and the whole scene would fill you with so much excitement and emotions. One thing that was a tradition with us was the mushy peas as we were about to leave Goose Fair. Once we were stood there by the mushy pea stall we knew that it was all over for another year. It was the only time in the year that we'd see anything like that so it was always special.

All the fun of the fair!

Last time I went to the fair was some twenty odd years ago with my lad at eleven in the morning on a Saturday.Spent a happy two hours in Radford nick under arrest for a dodgy tax disc.The jollity of the fair doesn't quite seem the same when your lad is in the next room holding a balloon and wearing a coppers helmet.

I bought the car a couple of days before off a little Asian git up forest fields.The cops didn't believe I knew nothing about it being forged.Luckily I got them to ring the Post and one of the Saturday staff was able to dig out the ad and read it to the cop over the phone....'Avenger for sale,six months MOT and THREE MONTHS TAX'...then they believed me and paid the little rat a visit.

My lad still had the balloon...but they wouldn't let him keep the helmet.

Remembering the rides from the early 60s,

My favorite- the ROTA, that was the one where you stood agains't the wall and it started to spin, as the floor moved up, until centrifugal force pinned you to the wall then the floor was lowered and you were stuck to the wall for what seemed like ages, then as it slowed you slid down the wall until you touched the ground then tried to get to the centrepole.

The METEORITE, Again standing up agains't the cage,

the CATERPILLAR, taking a girl on the ride and waiting for the cover to come over so you were in semi darkness,putting your arm around her then kissing, then as you looked up everyone else had started snogging, Innocent Days !!

What about the 2 huge swinging baskets, still recall the 'whoosh' as they swept up & down, also the Cakewalk...........................with the man shouting 'keep movin'!!

Flea circus amazed me......................

Yeh Paulus,

On the swinging baskets, going right to the end, and holding on to those rope webbing and letting your feet dangle toward the other end, can you imagine that now !!

Boxing booth's as well, there seemed to be a guy from Bilborough somewhere they called him "Boxer Bill" he was always taking on the guys from the booth,

:biggrin: 'Goose Fair Weather' yesterday was BEAUTIFUL!

I spent a lovely afternoon yesterday with my granddaughter at Goose Fair.

What a wonderful sight the Fair: such a Vast Spectacle created of all the modern rides and bungee jumping all crammed together. Awesome was the word to describe it. thumbsup

PS: A few days previous, I'd been speaking to a couple my age about how "the fair is not like it used to be." Well, I eat my words, Nottingham's Goose Fair has well and truly successfully moved into the 21st Century. As a Nottingham resident, I was truly happy and proud of the Splendid Show that Nottingham has created for both residents and visitors.

• Upvote 1

anyone remember the man that sold the amazing mexican jumping beans (inch long capsules with lead weights in reality) ? sold them from a board carried round his neck, like cinema ice cream seller, the beans would tumble up & down the board.....................

• Upvote 1

I understood the term 'rave' anyway......................................I'm allus gerrin' me worms mixed up.......................

• 3 years later...