• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Goose Fair mushy peas I remember were cooked in a wide pan on a wood fired brazier type of thing - a 10 (?) gallon oil drum with holes punched in the sides. Plenty of opportunity for smoke and bit

The tram to Goose fair   

I went too, and had mushy peas for starters, then sweet & sour chicken with rice, then four  doughnuts for dessert. Madam had six stringy waffley things with chocolate and toffee sauce on them. Of

I went too, and had mushy peas for starters, then sweet & sour chicken with rice, then four  doughnuts for dessert. Madam had six stringy waffley things with chocolate and toffee sauce on them. Of course she couldn't eat them all so I manfully helped out. 

We were going to visit the Grosvenor and sit outside with a pint, but by the time we'd got to the end of Gregory Blvd, we were soaked,so it was the first bus home, a quick change of clothes, then a coffee and a large Jameson's. Purely to stave of any risk of catching a chill you understand.

• Upvote 3

I thought that you had more respect for your guts than eating that lot FLY  ! Who ever heard of sweet & sour chicken with rice at the GF ?

What's wrong with Hot Dogs & Beef Burgers with fried onions & loads of mustard ?

• Upvote 1

Normally I am Jill, but I like 'Chinese' food and ADORE donuts. Not over keen on confectionery things though. 

I did fancy a pork, stuffing and apple sauce cob,but I have to do as I'm told when I'm out!  No, not really!

• Upvote 1

Living on the bottom of Mansfield rd.there was an extra buzz on this road- chip shops stayed open longer,paper shops sold toys ..they hung outside the shops in large clusters.

Buses parked in unfamiliar places...rows of them outside the Gaumont or Watmoughs opposite.

The wagons to the rear of the rides fascinated me..driving the gennies!

Even though I come from fairground/Gypsy stock..the rides etc..didn't appeal...Teddy Boys and there swagger set me alight...even in the late 60's and early 70's they didn't look out of place.

The artwork was incredible too...years later I was working on the lump for a company stripping Arabic labels off dog food cans and sticking on English ones..near Gainsborough a young lad working along- side me knew all about the Hollands and there history.

Sorry Catfan, I can't abide burgers. Pity I couldn't find the cockles and whelks stall. 

• Upvote 1

Some good Fodens and ERF's there Ian, especially Pat Collins stuff . A good Atkinson too. 

Not seen a Reiver for many a year. Did like the Guy Invincible. They looked great and futuristic.

No Ian, but I'll utube it later. Never a great DS / Knopfler fan. Nothing great live. 

Mixed kebab always used to make me smile. I imagined pieces of cat, dog, pony, anything. 

Ive only ever bought three, and never when sober ! 

• Upvote 2

Actually, I do like brandy snaps, but only when about five weeks old, and have gone lovely and soft. 

• Upvote 1

Lamb and chicken, well that's relatively safe then. 

Me & Mrs Red had a second stroll around the fair last night, well more of a shuffle it was very very busy, I'm a good lad don't think we have ever eaten off the fair, finished up on the BG Sips in the Organ Grinder & took a Caspian kabab special home £7.90 very nice steak, tikka, lamb & salad garlic mayo & chilli sauce on a naan, just googled there hygiene rating, happy to say we are both still alive.