• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Goose Fair mushy peas I remember were cooked in a wide pan on a wood fired brazier type of thing - a 10 (?) gallon oil drum with holes punched in the sides. Plenty of opportunity for smoke and bit

The tram to Goose fair   

I went too, and had mushy peas for starters, then sweet & sour chicken with rice, then four  doughnuts for dessert. Madam had six stringy waffley things with chocolate and toffee sauce on them. Of

There were some. One on the avenue where all the food and tat is, and another next to the exit on to the boulevard.

There was also one on Gregory Blvd itself.

Loved GF as a kid. My brother and I were given half a crown each. Rides cost 6d. Dad always used to be on duty ( policeman) so when our money ran out we used to search for him and he'd get us free rides with some of the fairground crew.

My daughter crushed 3 vertebrae on the cakewalk. Some days later she was walking badly and the Dr found she had one leg longer than the other. Quick visit to hospital and after 3 xrays they found these 3 cracked vertibrae. It was a very worrying time but after 6 weeks it was fine. 

What about the sideshows. Were there any ? The last one I went into was to see a giant dressed in Scottish gear. He sat in the middle of the tent and the paying public walked round him. He reached out and shook hands with everyone. His hands were the size of shovels and his kneecaps were the size of big saucepan lids.

• Upvote 1

When I was young I remember going to see a flea circus in one of the sideshows but you couldn't actually see them from where we were.  You could see a tiny little trike moving, supposedly being ridden by a flea, but perhaps it was all a con?

• Upvote 1

Yes it did, Catfan, certainly it was still there a few years ago. I used to hate going to Ilkeston for meetings during that week. Went once, early in the morning and was there all day. There was no sign of anything when I arrived but when I left, there were bits of fair everywhere and I had to drive round endless side streets to get back onto the main White Lion roundabout. Was always wary about visiting Ilsun during that period afterwards!

Regarding the original topic, I had the central heating on last night for the first time this autumn, and I also increased the temperature of the hot water. Woolly socks out of the drawer too ! 

• Upvote 1