• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Goose Fair mushy peas I remember were cooked in a wide pan on a wood fired brazier type of thing - a 10 (?) gallon oil drum with holes punched in the sides. Plenty of opportunity for smoke and bit

The tram to Goose fair   

I went too, and had mushy peas for starters, then sweet & sour chicken with rice, then four  doughnuts for dessert. Madam had six stringy waffley things with chocolate and toffee sauce on them. Of

I once 'stood' on Ilson fair. It was a stall that sold lucky numbers - lucky that is if you picked the right one. I'd do owt in those days to earn a bob or two to keep the motorbike on the road, and pay for my half a mild down at the Horseshoes. Stood on Ilson market on Saturdays selling nylons anorl.

Oh, I don't know, Jill. I used to run my hands down the sheer 15 denier and seamless micromesh. Problem was there were no legs inside them. lol.

• Upvote 1

Chulla, watch it, you'll be getting breathless and no amount of tablets will cure it. 

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/2/2012 at 8:52 PM, Gibbo 04 said:

Bleady 'ell, not for me, me owd mucker!

One of my favourite memories about Goose Fair were the mushy peas - I tried to make them but failed every time :( 

anyone know a good recipe? 

Lidl's mushy peas are fantastic, but I doubt you've got on in Oz. Get googling and see what is offered.

Last time I  went to the fair, about five years ago, couldn't  help but notice a lot of the pea stalls had stacks of catering size tins of Batchelors peas under the shelves, and piles of empty opened tins in dustbins. Bit of a cheat really. thumbsdown

The Goose Fair mushy peas I remember were cooked in a wide pan on a wood fired brazier type of thing - a 10 (?) gallon oil drum with holes punched in the sides. Plenty of opportunity for smoke and bits of ash to get into the peas and which most likely added to the characteristic flavour.

Note: they were nothing without the mint sauce.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Last time I  went to the fair, about five years ago, couldn't  help but notice a lot of the pea stalls had stacks of catering size tins of Batchelors peas under the shelves, and piles of empty opened tins in dustbins. Bit of a cheat really. thumbsdown

It would be a cheat if there was also a Microwave:hungr: