Good morning all, I was at Bentinck road infants' school mid fifties. The head mistress was a mrs. Freemantle. The only other teacher I can remember was miss Ranshaw. A few people I can remember from that time are, Michael reville, Janet Huchaby, Sandra Hislop, John Dunne, Susan Brown.

I am still in touch with John Dunne who is no longer in Nottingham, his father used to have the barbers shop on Hartley road opposite the Burnaby pub.

It would be nice if someone could fill in the gaps.

Cheers, Johnl.

• Upvote 1

Hi, I wasn't at Bentinck!!! That's a good start, but my friend and her brothers were. Rita Krzeminski, do you remember that name? She had brothers, Marek and Noel. They lived down Alfreton Road near the bottom before the new houses were built. I came upto NOttm last week and met up with Rita. I met her at Cottesmore in 1963.

Regards

Ashlar

• 1 month later...
Good morning all, I was at Bentinck road infants' school mid fifties. The head mistress was a mrs. Freemantle. The only other teacher I can remember was miss Ranshaw. A few people I can remember from that time are, Michael reville, Janet Huchaby, Sandra Hislop, John Dunne, Susan Brown.

I am still in touch with John Dunne who is no longer in Nottingham, his father used to have the barbers shop on Hartley road opposite the Burnaby pub.

It would be nice if someone could fill in the gaps.

Cheers, Johnl.

Good evening all, especially johnl.

I was at Bentinck Road School slightly later than the mid 50s: from 1958 to 1960. I remember Mrs Freemantle, though nothing more than her name, but had an impression that the headmistress was a Mrs Highfield, who once smacked my wrist for inattention, using two fingers for extra trauma. Such brutality would never do these days. There was also a Miss White, who was young and easy going, and a Mrs Brown, who was older and stricter. There was besides these a Mrs Leup / Liap (?).

Mister T.

• 5 months later...

hi,my name was Margaret Rigley when I first started Bentinck Road School in,wait for it,1948! Looks like I precede the others on this site.I don,t remember any staff names,but I remember an Anne Wells who started at the same time,we were both 5yrs old.In those days we had to spend a years schooling at the "little school on the Forest,I saw it in later years and it was a scout hut,there were two classrooms and we used to have lots of nature walks on the Forest and we learned knitting and other "homely things" At the main school we had dancing in the school hall to the schools radio programme. Upstairs was the senior school,wich was just for girls,my cousin,Brenda Simms was a prefect and later,the school captain.I left Bentinck when I was 12yrs as we moved from Hornbuckle Street in Radford to live on Western Boulevard and moved to Margaret Glen Bott on the edge of Wollaton Park,that was in 1955,I think,anyway that was when that school opened,sadly it has closed now. finding this site has given me the chance to record my memories before it's too late.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

My sister went to Bentinck school - her name was Valerie Frankland or Armitage. I went for a short time. We lived on Wimbourne Road

I started at Bentinck Rd as a 5 y/o in 1943. We had air raid drill most weeks and were trained to go into the air raid shelters in an orderly manner.

At least three generations of our family started school there. At one time there were twin aunties and two uncles there at the same time C1920. My Granddad - a master steeplejack, was a strict Victorian style, formidable man. He was said to do impromptu tours of the school, suit, tie and silver knobbed walking cane, visiting his youngest children in different classrooms. When my sister started there in 1953, Granddad was the lollipop man between the Alma and school. Swapped his silver topped cane for a lollipop and became a lovely old chap..

The name rings a bell - we used to live at number 43 - I know Shirley Bonser live on the house on the corner next to the shop

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/30/2008 at 6:32 PM, Mister T said:

Good evening all, especially johnl.

I was at Bentinck Road School slightly later than the mid 50s: from 1958 to 1960. I remember Mrs Freemantle, though nothing more than her name, but had an impression that the headmistress was a Mrs Highfield, who once smacked my wrist for inattention, using two fingers for extra trauma. Such brutality would never do these days. There was also a Miss White, who was young and easy going, and a Mrs Brown, who was older and stricter. There was besides these a Mrs Leup / Liap (?).

Mister T.

I remember Mrs Freemantle she gave me three strokes with a ruler on each hand I had only been there a week and my first friend was Tony Downing 

• 1 year later...

I went to this school  Between 1983-1984 I can’t remember much but I do remember the headmaster playing band aids do they know it’s Christmas time at assembly time and Michael Rosen the author visiting out school and having lunch with us and having chocolate pudding and my first crush who was called Debbie and when we went swimming at John Carroll leisure centre we always used to go past this shop that had a huge picture of George Michael and Andrew Ridgley and all the girls would go crazy for Andrews pic lol

I was there during WW2 and remember the air raid sirens and shelters more than anything else.

My sister was there 10 years later and our Granddad was the lollipop man on the crossing from the Alma pub. 

• Like 3