Sign in to follow this  
ashlar

Savoy cinema

Hello there, just wondered if anyone out there could remember the Savoy cinema holding it's Saturday film sessions for kids. I was friendly with the managers daughter, ( he was Mr Silvers) and I used to help sell the sweets down at the front! What street cred eh?

I used to live off Willoughby Street so not far to go with my 6D for my ticket and 3D for sweets.

Ah those were the days, we even had a visiting guest sometimes, i.e. the yo-yo champion of the world!! Well I thought that was who it was!

It's a lot cheaper than any of the others too

Re Sat matinees . The Ritz in Carlton was our haunt

I remember helping with evening performances and having to show customers to either the left side for smokers or the right side for non smokers!! Now where was the reasoning behind that brainwave!

The Ritz sounds very grand for what I know of Carlton! No insult intended as I only know that my dad lived there as a lad and visited there in the 1950's. Wouldn't recognise it now, He lived in Clarence Street.

Where's Clarence Street? (I lived in Carlton for 36 years and it doesn't ring a bell)

The Ritz sounds very grand for what I know of Carlton! No insult intended as I only know that my dad lived there as a lad and visited there in the 1950's. Wouldn't recognise it now, He lived in Clarence Street.

In its day the Ritz was the best cinema in the Netherfield, Carlton area. I remember folks lined up outside on a Saturday night before the telly came along.

Went to a few of those Sat p.m matinees too Beefy. A great time was had by all.

Dave

Found Clarence street (Well the only one i can find ) and it's off Carlton road in Sneinton Hollows (That answers Ashlars point I think)

[Thanks for finding Clarence Street, my Dad from what I can remember lived in Clarence Terrace! Umm anyway it was a house at the top of a typical terrace with toilet across the yard. Didnt go there much but my Gran used to spend every Monday at the local wash house, story goes that she packed up a lunch and gossiped all day!

No argument from me Lynn. It wasn't Carlton though

As far as I can tell from your address, It's more St Annes / Sneinton than Carlton (Just off Carlton road though)

Is there anywhere I can find a map of the area we are talking about, i.e. in the days of the wash houses ,1950's? Just for a bit of nostalgia that is, or any pics of the area?

The Regal had closed down before my time Bazzer

Hello there, just wondered if anyone out there could remember the Savoy cinema holding it's Saturday film sessions for kids. I was friendly with the managers daughter, ( he was Mr Silvers) and I used to help sell the sweets down at the front! What street cred eh?

I used to live off Willoughby Street so not far to go with my 6D for my ticket and 3D for sweets.

Ah those were the days, we even had a visiting guest sometimes, i.e. the yo-yo champion of the world!! Well I thought that was who it was!

hi yes i remember the savoy matinees, you used to win a cadburys chocolate with tour entry ticket

hi all, am new too the site, i used to work at the savoy in the mid eighties, saw mr silvers about 2 years ago. retired now and sold the cinema to the guy that runs the scala at ilkeston. but was looking well. which daughter was it? if i remember rightly there were 4 of them and his son

I know he had one daughter Linda, my brother went out with her...I used to deliver their newspapers when they lived on Western Boulevard......welcome to the site.

pete c....still riding a vespa

hi all, am new too the site, i used to work at the savoy in the mid eighties, saw mr silvers about 2 years ago. retired now and sold the cinema to the guy that runs the scala at ilkeston. but was looking well. which daughter was it? if i remember rightly there were 4 of them and his son

I was at school with one of his daughters Linda I think,

In the sixties we would go to the Savoy on a Sunday night . Sunday Night was normaly Horror night and sci fi , They were called X rated then and you had to be sixteen i think , but i would go in with friends at 14

They were film like " The Blob " Staring Steve Mcqueen , and " I was a Teenage Werewolf " Staring Michael Langdon of Bonanza fame . There was also films that were considered very racy at the time but would probably

be PG now .

PS I can spell but can't type :-(